Kveik yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi SHB, I have had similar outcomes (not confined to Kveik) & have blamed under pitching. Maybe that is your culprit also, regards James
Thanks James, I think and hope you are right, but internet "wisdom" is to pitch less, maybe not as much less as I did, although the old ale started fermentation quite vigorously and suprised me with it's lack of attenuation.

Internet wisdom also says kveik doesn't work well with original gravity below 1.060 however my English bitter is cold crashing now, OG 1.033, made it all the way down to 1.005, apparent attenuation 85% in three days, that is what I was hoping for.

I also read on this forum that kveik reduces hop flavour, I feel like the APA has reduced hop flavours but I will wait until it is dry hopped to confirm that.

As I said, if the Oslo yeast beers don't get their shit together tomorrow they are going to be treated to a full dose of conventional yeast

Undeterred I thought I would try another brew using Lallemand dry Voss kveik, an English ordinary bitter, mashed on 15th April at 68 C, 90 minute boil, chilled to 36 C and settled for 1 hour. Re-hydrated yeast into fermenter then added settled wort which had cooled to 29.6 C. set temp controller to 33 C and wrapped in blanket.
16th April temp had risen to 33 C, raised temp controller to 37 C I did not check gravity.
18th April temp now up to 36.7 C, gravity 1.008, this is probably done. Apparent attenuation is 76% which is what I normally get with Wyeast 1469, though I was hoping for 80-82.

I'm not convinced the yeast in the first two beers is up to the job so I will reduce temperatures and add a packet of 34-70 to the APA and Nottingham to the old ale.

Well you mashed at a high temperature which reduces wort fermentability for a start
33c is low for Kveik - I ferment at 40c and get 83% attenuation after 1-2 days (but I mash at 65/66c

Your schedule seems to be ideal for an ESB-type brew

EDIT: Also from what I've read, Kveik does better on high OG than low - did you add any yeast nutrient?
1681947576983.png

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, yes I agree based on my recent experiences 33 is a bit low for kveik, I just wasn't game to jump in at 35 or 40 as it seemed very high at the time.

Mash was my usual schedule for that beer, with the intent of keeping some body in the finished beer and I added 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and 1/2 tsp of out of date dry yeast.

Yesterday the bitter was down to 1.005 so I cold crashed and dry hopped it, should be in the keg tomorrow. It did 85% apparent attenuation in 3 days so what I thought it ought to do.

Over the weekend I will make a stout and drop that on the bitter yeast in the fermenter, not sure I really want 85% attenuation with that, I normally mash it at 65 and with the coopers yeast I get 77% attenuation which seems about right, might have to mash a bit warmer this time.

Back