Krausening?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Gday
Just wondering if anyone out there has tried krausening their brews before. I just read up on it a little, and was wondering if it works OK, or is just a way to possibly contaminate your beer. I also know that some say not to bulkprime with DME as it creates alot more yeast trub in the bottle, would this also apply to krausening? Palmer doesnt go into it in How to Brew, but says it is the only way to revive an oxygenated brew. Basically, it looks to me like after ya finish yer boil and chill, ya siphon off a litre (depending on grav) of the wort into a sanitised jar and stick it in the fridge until bottling day. Then, take it outta the fridge, boil it to kill any nasties that may be hiding, chill it and then add to bottling bucket instead of priming sugar. Is this correct? I am thinking of trying it on one of me next brews, but just wanted to hear some opinions on it first.
All the best
Trent

Trent said:
Gday
Just wondering if anyone out there has tried krausening their brews before. I just read up on it a little, and was wondering if it works OK, or is just a way to possibly contaminate your beer. I also know that some say not to bulkprime with DME as it creates alot more yeast trub in the bottle, would this also apply to krausening? Palmer doesnt go into it in How to Brew, but says it is the only way to revive an oxygenated brew. Basically, it looks to me like after ya finish yer boil and chill, ya siphon off a litre (depending on grav) of the wort into a sanitised jar and stick it in the fridge until bottling day. Then, take it outta the fridge, boil it to kill any nasties that may be hiding, chill it and then add to bottling bucket instead of priming sugar. Is this correct? I am thinking of trying it on one of me next brews, but just wanted to hear some opinions on it first.
All the best
Trent
[post="63093"][/post]​

Trent Give me a Email at [email protected] i have some info that was passed onto me, its a calculator and the instructions

Bulkpriming with DME is bloody fantastic, If you have gone through all the hard work, and havent put any cane sugar in your beer, whay use it to bottle, your yeast has been happy eating malt, give it more malt to carbonate....

as far as your method, i boil the wort in a canning jar before storing it, its sterile and all will be fine, your better off kepping the nasties out rather than letting them in and killing them of later

Trent I would krausen my beers by adding the top of a new brew in the primary to a batch when I was bottling ,I did it mainly because i secondary fermented for a month and thought there was little yeast left to carbonate , that was not the case as they would carbonate without krausening and as I have been fermenting with various yeasts it has been more difficult to do so .
It was never detrimental to the taste but I could neither tel the difference .

pumpy

Krausening is what German breweries do (or did) to keep within the Rheinheidsgebot.

Me? I just add some DME, same thing really, and no need for difficult calculations

Jovial Monk

Krausening is using actively fermenting wort (not just any old wort) IIRC.

As for priming, table sugar is cheap and effective. I challenge anyone to give evidence that they can tell the difference between beer primed with sugar vs DME except the weight of your wallet.

Actualy the Germans were adding the wort from there newest batch to the finished one long before the Rheinheitsgebot of 1516. there are many different ways of doing it, a search of the net shows 5-6 differnet ways, howerver im led to beleve the traditional way is to add fermenting wort at the begining of Krausen, straight into the finished beer...

I agree in part to what sos has said, but i can surely tell the differance in my beers.....carbonates faster, better head, but im sure no one else would see the difference, in my beer

Thanks for the replies guys
Ozbrewer, I will shoot you an email for that info.
All the best
Trent

Back