Krausen Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneabovill

Reaction score
Hey, gang,. I've been a KnK and KnB man for about three years, and finally converted to AG. I did my first AG brew on Sunday last week (12/08/12), with an OG of 1.061 (brewing an IPA), and its still sitting sitting at a super high krausen..Typically the krausen has settled by now in my other brews. Is this normal behavior for a high gravity AG batch or infection or what?..Pitched a 500ml US05 starter I made the night before. </br>

I don't think you should be worried - although it is a bit strange.

I've had 1272 leave krausen for over a week.

I don't think anything related to AG would result in longer krausen, but higher gravity (if it is higher than your normal) might. I think your beer will be fine though.

Every brew of mine seems to behave somewhat differently.

Some have had so much kraeusen, they climb out of the fermenter. Others barely raise a sweat. Some batches I've had to bottle with kraeusen still floating on top.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just leave it be. After fermentation is done, dropping the temperature for a few days to cold condition the brew will probably help to drop the kraeusen.

Don't know about you, but US-05 always takes forever to clean up if you can't CC. Even the manufacturers website states that there will be some yeast on the top when fermentation is finished. If you have the ability to CC, just wait till you get your expected hydro reading then CC. Otherwise, I've had US-05 hang around up to 3 weeks before.

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about it, just thought it was odd, that's all. Okay... maybe I was a bit worried. Enough to taste a sample to make sure it wasn't infected. Tasted great, but still a bit green.

Don't know about you, but US-05 always takes forever to clean up if you can't CC. Even the manufacturers website states that there will be some yeast on the top when fermentation is finished. If you have the ability to CC, just wait till you get your expected hydro reading + a few days for cleanup preferably at a few degrees higher than ferment temps then CC. Otherwise, I've had US-05 hang around up to 3 weeks before.

fixed.

I did my first AG batch on the same day as you, using US-05. SG was about 1.064, and it still has a thick krausen aswell. Did you test the gravity when you took a sample?

Back