Kottbusser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbsucker

Reaction score
Hi I am planing on brewing a Kottbusser has any one tried their hand at this lost brew?

This is what I had planed out:

Kottbusser

Batch Size 22.000 L Boil Size 24.001 L
Boil Time 1.000 hr Efficiency 70%
OG 1.051 sg FG 1.013 sg
ABV 5.2% IBU 22.4 (Tinseth)
Color 4.2 srm (Morey) Estimated calories (per 33 cl) 157

Fermentables
  • 3.000 kg Bestmalz - Pilsner
  • 2.000 kg Bestmalz - Wheat Malt
  • 500.000 g Oats, Flaked
  • 100 g Leatherwood Honey
  • 30 g Molasses
Hops
  • Tettnang 4.0% 20.000 g Boil 1.000 hr
  • Tettnang 4.0% 20.000 g Boil 45.000 min
  • Tettnang 4.0% 25.000 g Boil 20.000 min
Yeast
  • Safale K-97 German Ale Yeast
I was planing to not ferment the Honey or the Molasses instead I want to add them to the corny keg. To retain the max flavour and sweetness. I filter my beer to remove yeast and combined with the low temps I do not suspect these sugers to ferment out in the keg.

Last edited:
Just be aware that when an American says Molasses, think Treacle in English/Australian, what we call Molasses is more like what they mean by Black Strap Molasses.
Likely to make a fair difference to the colour and flavour.

I doubt you are filtering out all the yeast, but if you are using an Ale yeast, fair chance it wont chew into your sugar too fast, tho I have been surprised on a couple of occasions when ale yeast has slowly shaved a couple of points of a cold stored beer (long cold store).

Looks like an interesting beer, my first thought would be to try honey (maybe not leatherwood, something milder), K-97 is an interesting choice sounds like a good option, its probably the oldest yeast available, it is perhaps the ancestor of many of todays more common yeasts - good call!

A beer with honey notes, not like Braggot which is more like a mead with malty notes, I have tasted one commercial example, a couple of years ago now, I think it was these guys "Grim Brothers" (the name stuck in my memory - first book I really read, the older rougher version, not the cleaned up Disney pap)

Would like to hear how this one goes, hope you don't load it up with Molasses.
Mark

Thanks for making the distinction between Treacle and Molasses. I will use golden syrup instead.

I am only making 19 litres I should get through it in a month or two.

I am not sure how much honey forward it will be 100g in 19 litres (comes to 0.005263157894737) - I do to know if you can even taste it however I will see.

A month ago I brewed the Kottbusser I fermented for two week and lagering for two more weeks.

I followed the recipe much as above however I did not have all of wheat malt needed only 0.5kg of wheat malt so I made the rest up with raw wheat that I pre-gelatinised. I figured it was more authentic using under modified malt.

I did end using the molasses but I only used 30gm in 25 litres of wort it seems to have no metallic after tastes.

After the first week the beer had a tannin finish on the palate and the color was darker then I expected, maybe the molasses.

After two weeks of lagering it dropped to a golden color and with filtering it should be crystal clear.

Today I sampled it and it tastes like a Pilsner Urquell with that honey aroma and taste. Yet I have not added the honey.

My question is if I add 200ml of honey to a 19litres corny kg of beer how EFFECTIVELY will it dissolve IF AT ALL?

Last edited:
Back