kosciuzsko pale ale taste-a-like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys,

just wanna know what the specific hops used in the kosciuzsko pale ale are if anyone knows? i've searched and seen POR and Galaxy, wanna know if that sounds about right and if anyone has had a shot at trying to make a clone rip off of it or have a go at writing a recipe and process.

thinking POR at 60 and galaxy again at 20, possibly flame out also, but have no idea on grain types (pale ale malt ~80% and what else?) and IBUs etc...any help would be appreciated.

i BIAB and would probably look to do about a 20L batch if that helps any suggestions.

A recipe would be great,
All my megaswill drinking mates think that kosciuzsko pale ale is the only pale ale that is drinkable, so I'd like to be able to put something on tap that they'll actually drink

I don't have any inside track on a recipe but the stuff I've had on tap seemed fairly thin bodied for an APA, so I'd wager there's some dextrose or something similar in there? Not much in the way of crystal, and all adding up to relatively low IBUs for balance?

Good luck.

70% Pale Ale Malt
15% Munich 1
15% (more maybe?) Wheat Malt

15g Pride of Ringwood @ 60mins
20g Galaxy @ 10mins
20g Galaxy @ 0 mins

mash in at 65 maybe? thinking just single infusion

yeast ideas?

ferment at 18C?

any edits welcome.

thanks Liam mate.

I would also dry hop with galaxy around 1g/l. Maybe drop the Munich down to 10%. Either way it should taste alright.

Try wyeast 1272 or US-05 if your going dry.

thanks guys, I'll drop the Munich down and use 1272 and post results when I get around to it. might make it the next one i do (so bloody addictive now I've started biab!)

I might order the grain/hops for this one tomorrow too
Are you just doing 60 minute mash and 60 minute boil, fletcher?

sp0rk said:
I might order the grain/hops for this one tomorrow too
Are you just doing 60 minute mash and 60 minute boil, fletcher?
yeah mate, keep it simple for now (i'm still new to biab so i don't know toooo much about all the timing details). i'll pop stuff into brewmate now and post it to see what people reckon in a few mins.

I'd get rid of the POR and use Super Alpha for bittering, much smoother.
From recent brews I would think Super and Galaxy are your hops of choice.
Also maybe a small dex addition to dry it out a bit.

Koszshzsizusko Rip Off Ale
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.000
Total Hops (g): 32.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.94 %
Colour (SRM): 4.7 (EBC): 9.2
Bitterness (IBU): 30.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (75%)
0.400 kg Munich I (10%)
0.400 kg Torrified Wheat Malt (10%)
0.200 kg Dextrose (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Aroma) (0.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

any suggestions welcome EDIT: i'll check out super alpha when i go pick up the grains. thanks for the idea yum mate. you reckon it's the one they use?

Galaxy hops have around 11% + AA. About the same as super alpha. Why not just use galaxy for bittering as well?

I cant be sure, been a while since I had a Kozi but it didnt seem to have that dirty taste I normally get from POR.
Have used the Alpha and Galaxy recently in a lager that was very Koziosko-ish....

Hippy said:
Galaxy hops have around 11% + AA. About the same as super alpha. Why not just use galaxy for bittering as well?
Because thats not gonna work for the beer he wants to make.
Galaxy can be used for bittering but will give a different result, I dont like Galaxy as a bittering hop personally

You're not gonna taste 12 grams of PoR hops in a 60 minute boil are you? If you want PoR in the flavour, add some late as well.

carniebrew said:
You're not gonna taste 12 grams of PoR hops in a 60 minute boil are you? If you want PoR in the flavour, add some late as well.
was gonna trade them out for super alpha from yumbeer's recommendation. increase the 60 mins and lessen the 10 mins?

Liam_snorkel said:
Don't listen to carniebrew
Not a lot of value in that comment. Which bit don't you agree with, that PoR as a 60 minute bittering addition won't add flavour, or that you shouldn't add any PoR for flavour?

Back