Koppafloc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Does anyone use this as a clearing agent, if so where did you get it from?
TIA

C&B
TDA

DA,

I use it as a flocculant the same way as you would use whirlfloc tablets...... :huh:

Its basically powdered concentrated version of Irish moss (carrageenan?). I only use about 1.5grams for a 25 litre batch...
I've nearly run out though ;-) I only got a small sample from a brewing buddy....

Asher for now....

I too got a small sample from a brewing buddy (thanks you know who you are).
I use two pinches per brew @ 15 mins.
I've got some left, but will run out by the end of the year.
If we find a source maybe a AHB group by would be in order ?

Doc

A bulk order was what I had in mind. Will let the group know when I find out.
Thanks Doc, Asher and devilsalterboy.

C&B
TDA

Does this have advantages over whirfloc tablets, I use these now just wonder what the pros & cons are.

When using kettle finings, a little goes a long way. Too much will strip flavours from your beers. Try using 1/2 whirlfloc tablet per 23 litre brew, rather than a whole tablet. 1 tablet weighs about 2.4 grams. So if using koppafloc, use about 1.2 grams per 23 litre brew.

Scotty from Ocean Brewing sells Koppafloc in 1 kg bags.

well im been told from grumpys to use 1/4 of a tab and it work ok for me butthen with an an english u may need 1/2 tab

Same here Jazman. 1/4 tablet has always given me crystal clear brews even the English Bitters.

To throw in a red herring,
The last beer I made (German lager). I forgot to add the finings (whirlfloc).
Funny enough this is one of my clearer lagers!
I think I will still use in future. I suspect it isn't really necessary.

Darren

i have been using half a tab then told one whole tab now i read a quarter tab.
might have to do some experimentation here.
which one is right?
any ideas :blink:

cheers
big d

Well I'm a half tab man myself Whirlfloc that is.

As pint of lager says they are very effective at clearing a kettle.

Steve.

chiller said:
Well I'm a half tab man myself Whirlfloc that is.

As pint of lager says they are very effective at clearing a kettle.

Steve.
so chiller - being half a TAB Man

That would be Half a calorie..... :lol: (probably spelt it wrong)

This is joke for us old farts... :D

I used some of the KoppaFloc Granules today for the first time in a Saison me and Franko are doing .

Jee the amount of Trub it created I have never seen so much it must be doing its job dropping out the protein

Pumpy :)

Amazing stuff hey Pumpy B)

Leaves whirfloc & Irish moss for dead... :)

Cheers Ross

I did a bulk buy of this way back in Feb. 05,I ordered 1 kg and I kept 200gm myself.
I still have a jar full ! A little goes a long way

Anyone else still using this from the bulk buy?

Batz

When using kettle finings, a little goes a long way. Too much will strip flavours from your beers. Try using 1/2 whirlfloc tablet per 23 litre brew, rather than a whole tablet.

Hey POL,

Which flavours can you expect "over-finning" to strip out?

I've been in the habit of just chucking in a whole tablet and you've now got me wondering if my beer might taste better if I changed the "dosage" :)

PZ.

edit - "tablet" = whirlfoc tablet :)

When using kettle finings, a little goes a long way. Too much will strip flavours from your beers. Try using 1/2 whirlfloc tablet per 23 litre brew, rather than a whole tablet. 1 tablet weighs about 2.4 grams. So if using koppafloc, use about 1.2 grams per 23 litre brew.

Is this correct it strips flavour from the beer ?

I have used the recommended dose ( well One teaspoon in 40 litres )

I have put the wort in cubes ( NoChill) trub and all Should I ferment it with the Trub as there is so much of it and I dont want to loose flavour ?

Pumpy :unsure:

Is this correct it strips flavour from the beer ?
I have used the recommended dose ( well One teaspoon in 40 litres )
I have put the wort in cubes ( NoChill) trub and all Should I ferment it with the Trub as there is so much of it and I dont want to loose flavour ?
Pumpy :unsure:

I have nevers seen such clear wort using the Koppafloc. it was a pale beer though

Pumpy

Pumpy, I no-chill using Koppafloc and aside from the trub left in the kettle, after running off crystal clear wort in the fermenter, have found that the next day it looks like there are clouds floating inside the fermenter. This stuff really works well.

cheers

Browndog

Back