Kongaaarden

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoNG

RIP-FaB (BiBIFaP)
Reaction score
hey gang,
I'd been wanting to get a Hoegaarden clone down for a while, so i decided to try the ESB 3kg.. seems like you cant go past them for kit value...

i used the bavarian wheat kit and added a few extras

50ml Honey
300g wheat DME
1.5 orange rind (navel)
25g corriander seed (crushed)
and
planning to prime with wheat DME.

been in primary for 4 days
just took a SG reading which was at 1.020 (OG was 1.044)

BUT

it was the taste from the hydrometer leftovers that sealed it
for a green fresh brew... it tasted damn fine and not far from the original

too easy.!

Congrats KoNG on your willingness to create.

Pedro and I split a Whitelabs 400 Belgian wit yeast the other day so I need to add one to my list of todo's.

Steve.

How did that orange peel go that someone? in Perth sent me

Has that someone used it yet?

Batz (not even brewing in ally yet)

Batz said:
How did that orange peel go that someone? in Perth sent me

Has that someone used it yet?

Batz (not even brewing in ally yet)
You had me going for a minute there.

I thought I'd forgotten something again.

I didn't did I? :)

Steve

ha ha ha.. ooops
forgot to ask the question for which was the reason i posted in the first place...

any ideas on what would be a good finishing hop to top it off..?
maybe hallertau...?

i think i remember reading somewhere that wit biers dont use hops for flavour or aroma.. so should i just leave it...?

hmmmm.?

any help would be great

Cheers
KoNG (aaarden)

i gather you guys are not aiming the orange peel convo at me.!?!?
ha ha...
while you're at it (peel chat) i used fresh peel and didnt dry it...?!!!
am i bound to get troubles from that.?
i didnt research in depth enough and have since found out most people use dried peel.!

Nothing to do with you ;)

Someone in Perth found dried orange peel in an Asian supermarket , he got some extra an I had a small packet posted up to me.

Yet to try it , it was a long time ago , way back last year :blink: I think :blink:

Batz :ph34r:

Should be a nice brew KoNG.
I'm doing something similar myself, based on 2 cans of Malt Shovel Summer Wheat. I'm using recultured Hoegaarden yeast. In the past I've added the coriander (mine is only 15g) and orange peel via a 10 minute boil and strain, but that doesn't seem to give enough flavour from those ingredients.
What did you do to add them?
Interested to hear which yeast you used as well.

For a moment I thought you'd made a 50/50 with De Koninck and Hoegaarden White.

An interesting 50/50: Kwak and Lucifer.

We gave it to a fellow rater who'd just arrived at a festival and called it "Crouch Vale Devils Duck". He wasnt convinced :(

Ha Ha, no no its not a 50/50... i just very cleverly included my handle and the commercial beers name together! very tricky!! ha ha
but your mix sounds interesting..please send sample.

coolbeerluke,
off the top of my head i reduced the honey in about 2 litres of boiling water, then added the orange peel which i simmered for 15 mins then added the crushed corriander seed and simmered for another 10 mins
apparently the peel needs alot longer than the seed.. and also should be freshly crushed (i.e while the peel simmers) i gave it a very heavy grinding in the mortar&pestal. :)

KoNG

Back