Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So no whirfloc eh... It is almost like a security blanket :lol: I'll get the tremours not chucking half a tablet in but will take your advice ;) . Was planning on fermenting at 16-18 and then lagering at 2 degrees for 4 weeks. Hope it'll do the trick...

Shawn.

warrenlw63 said:
Tip if you're using the Kolsch yeast (Wy. 2565) make absolutely certain that you lager this beer for at least 4 weeks. I've never known a beer that tasted so much like s**t out of the fermenter, yet after lagering was so superb.

Actually thought that the batch was infected. Straight out of the fermenter it reminded me of a bad Weizen or a very funky Belgian and was very cloudy :( but more unpleasant. After 4 weeks I would have said that it was one of the best beers I'd made and became crystal clear.

I am just about to put a batch of kolsch into secondary now, I used a few packs of K97 as I hadnt had time to build a up a starter of 1007. Its got exactly the same weizeny aroma but the batch only had about 10% wheat malt in it.

I was reading somewhere to secondary it on the yeast is that correct??

Ausdb

I've used k97 in a kolsch style before, and was very happy with the results.
I don't see any reason to "secondary" on the primary yeast, sort of defeats the object a bit I would think. Just be sure that it has bottomed out completely to avoid the dreaded diacetyl.

Just been to BWS in Kelmscott and picked up a 6 pack of Reissdorf Kolsch, $17,
chilling in the fridge right now.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
I've used k97 in a kolsch style before, and was very happy with the results.
I don't see any reason to "secondary" on the primary yeast, sort of defeats the object a bit I would think. Just be sure that it has bottomed out completely to avoid the dreaded diacetyl.

Just been to BWS in Kelmscott and picked up a 6 pack of Reissdorf Kolsch, $17,
chilling in the fridge right now.
[post="80586"][/post]​
Cheers Vlad

I had a Reissdorf last night, bought it from Devine cellars in Inglewood. I saw it their and thought 'that name sounds familiar' went home and opened up Beer Captured where I had got the recipe from and what do you know that is what their recipe is based on!!.

I was sort of worried about the FG, I took a sample last night and its about 1.008 but then I checked my hydrometer in tap water and its a bit out 0.998 for tap water. As for the dreaded diacetyl, this is meant to be for the next WCB comp. I'll get stoned or something if I bring another diacetyl beer :eek: :eek: :eek: I did an all day mash before I went to work and sparged when I got home It started at 64-65C so it should be pretty dry. It looks like I am going to have to filter some to have it ready for the comp its pretty murky. I think brewing an Alt tomorrow will be the go pitched on the slurry from 45L will go off like a bomb!!!!!

cheers ausdb

On the topic of k97.
I have used it a few times in the past and also found that tasting from primary had a distinct weizen /banana flava which was no where in sight after 12 weeks conditioning in the bottle.it produces a crisp dryish finish(sort of lagerlike ) but has no sulfur in primary like you'd expect.Cloudy as hell and takes forever to settle out but worth the wait.I was told that 1007 and k97 were the same strain ,but have'nt had it confirmed.

2565 is a good strain as well and even yielded me a nice stout once(extract based)
dryish but nice.

Crazy timing on the post as I just did my first AG and it was a kolsch. I stuffed the mash up which after reading this posts seem to have been a good thing as I probably averaged a 62 degree temp for most of the mash. Racked it off way too early!! oh Well.

..im actually having major problems with my kolsch - i threw the temp down to around 16/17 and the thing seems to have stopped or slowed right down, was pwoered off to a good start at around 21c....when i opened the fridge there was a definate massive sulfur smell as well - quite much more thna i was used to...

im using the wyeast, temp controlling in my fridge ..but is jsut going really, really slow...is this usual of kolsch? that it takes ages to primary? i knew the secondary and lagering usually takes ages...but this is jsut a little worrying...properly aerated etc...

It weighed in a little heavy, at around 1053 or so, and is now down to around 1028/29 but doesnt seem to be moving too far...maybe i should crank the temp back up?

Facter.

If it's the proper Kolsch strain (Wy. 2565) you're using it should ferment quite comfortably at 16-17. I've seen it go OK even a bit lower. Just be aware it's not going to ferment out overnight.

How long has it been going for? :unsure: An OG of 1.053 shouldn't be an issue at all. All I can think of is if the 4-5 degree drop was too rapid you may have shocked your yeast a little though I doubt it.

Just be patient. It may take 2 weeks to finish. :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Facter.

If it's the proper Kolsch strain (Wy. 2565) you're using it should ferment quite comfortably at 16-17. I've seen it go OK even a bit lower. Just be aware it's not going to ferment out overnight.

How long has it been going for? :unsure: An OG of 1.053 shouldn't be an issue at all. All I can think of is if the 4-5 degree drop was too rapid you may have shocked your yeast a little though I doubt it.

Just be patient. It may take 2 weeks to finish. :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="91096"][/post]​

warren, okay, my worries have been allayed - Yes, its the 2565 this is the first beer im doing using a fridge (havnt done any lagers yet - thought this mightr be a good stepping point) so I'm used to beers brewing out fairly quickly - its only been in since last Sunday, dropped another point and a half or so overnight, so I assume its working as intended - perhaps the seal of my fermenter is a bit dodgy as well, its fairly old - hence why no airlock activity

I'll leave it and stop taking readings until maybe next sunday, and see where its at after a week...

smells damn funky though out of the hydro reading - smells even a bit off to tell the truth, but when I had a taste it wasnt hideous, just still very sugary so hard to tell.

I'll just sit back and wait...no rush. hahahaha

Facter.

Kolsch yeast will stink like vomit for some time. Once you cold condition it for a few weeks the smell/character will go. You'll be left with a very clean and very easy to drink beer.

Patience. ;)

Warren -

I don't want to scare you but when I used the Wyeast 2565 it fermented very hard and fast. I pitched it and it had fermented out in a couple of days. Mine started at 1.046 though. I fermented it at 15C and it just took off. I had a very active starter though.

Aaron said:
I don't want to scare you but when I used the Wyeast 2565 it fermented very hard and fast. I pitched it and it had fermented out in a couple of days. Mine started at 1.046 though. I fermented it at 15C and it just took off. I had a very active starter though.
[post="91168"][/post]​

Bugger, jsut when I was all realxed aaron!~ hahahaha. Well,t he starter was fairly active,t hoguh it could have been more so - it had only been in the PET for about a day or so, but it was letting off heaps of gas...then it did vigorously ferment for the first day or so, then, dropepd temp....maybe a bit of yeast shock.

Alas I usually do the grab eyast from the trub thing so didnt half off the 2565 into the fridge for the net brew - if things are not looking that good by the weekend i'll grab some more and throw in another batch of yeasties.

I've had a low OG (1.042) koelsch condition for about a month + now, but the cacky yeast aroma and flavour are still hanging about. I'm thinking about filtering it to remove this yeast component and hopefully leave me with a nice clean koelsch.

Anyone done this with success?

I'm going to use a 1um filter.

Cheers,

Sam

Back