Kolsch, My God, What A Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Tonight I kegged and bottled my Kolsch for the paddo comp.

This beer is crystal clear, very pale, and the flavour is fantastic :D . Have'nt had a kolsch before so I hope its accurate. Very delicate flavour with a hint of fruitiness and a touch of tartness in the finish, faint hint of hop flavour and a very little aroma.

This beer is very subtle, I can't wait till it's gassed. One of the best brews I have tasted before it is gassed :p .
Unfortunately I have to sit and type this drinking a VB :blink: :angry:

Cheers Andrew

That's it Andrew. You've got me motivated to keg my Kolsch for the Paddy's comp tonight :p
Hope mine is tasting as good as yours.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,
I have a spare bottle, if your keen maybe we could exchange a bottle and on the night of judging toast each others luck :party: .
Hope you do well :D l.
Cheers
andrew

As an avid Kolsch brewer you have parked my intrest...Could you post the recipie my good fellow...

Cheers

I'm sure I could sort out a bottle for a swap.
PM me your postal addy.

Beers,
Doc

here you go GI, only hope it's up to standard :)

Recipe: Clarks Koelsch
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Koelsch
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.84 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1Grain 97.8 %
0.10 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SGrain 2.2 %
40.00 gm Tettnang [3.90%] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (15 min)Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [SYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.60 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 13.80 L of water at 72.5 C 65.0 C 75 min

Looks like 3 of us with Kolsch for Gerards comp, bottle mine tomorrow. I'd be keen to send a couple out for the return favour.

PM your addy Duff, and I will send you my last bottle.

Good luck in the comp.

Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
This beer is crystal clear, very pale, and the flavour is fantastic :D . Have'nt had a kolsch before so I hope its accurate.

Having stumbled on to Kolsch in Cologne/Germany a couple of years back, I can say it's a great beer that the Germans seem to love serving out of huge wooden barrels like wine. Have never come across it anywhere else.

I've been brewing for years, but recently started doing all-grain brews. So I'm dead keen to try a Kolsch!!!

Gough,

Hope U r adding your Kolsch to this batch.

At least 4 the feedback...

Will drop a 6 of Arrogant clone at shop. B there or be beaten by Keith (who is a malt_pig!; and who will prob consume all, given half a chance).

Big up yourself to Keith.

Seth out :p

I didn't make the Paddy's comp with either of my Kolschies Weiz - they were both brewed with wyeast 1007, not White Labs so it ruled them out. I've got a new batch in the bottle carbonating at the moment - the others are all gone! Too easy to drink :p A really beautiful style IMHO.

I'm keen to try the AB clone, thanks Weiz. I'm sure Keith will keep me at least one bottle if you ask him nicely ;) He's a 'lurker' here too, so he's probably already got the message :lol: I've got a Pommy Bitter/Pale Ale style just coming into carbonation as well and an experimental bottle (7 days - well, it really needed checking!) last night tasted the goods. I'll shoot you one of those as well.

Shawn.

Gough said:
I've got a Pommy Bitter/Pale Ale style just coming into carbonation as well and an experimental bottle (7 days - well, it really needed checking!)
[post="64359"][/post]​

Shawn,

How did it smell?? :party: Were the plugs beneficial?

(Give 'em two weeks you greedy bugger :lol: )

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Shawn,

How did it smell?? :party: Were the plugs beneficial?

Warren -
[post="64361"][/post]​

Yep, plugs were great. First time in the boil with the plugs and thankfully they didn't gum up the works too much. The hop flavour is coming through loud and proud and the dry hopping seems pretty nice as well - good aroma but not overpowering. Still, it was only an 'experimental' bottle so I don't want to get too excited... I'll try another in a week or so and shoot one down to you as well if you like.

Shawn.

warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="64361"][/post]​

Hey Warren,

Didn't U know that I make a 3day choc porter, to be consumed 3 daze after bottling.
I haven't noticed much improvement since then, for carbonation or flavour. :chug:

Seth :p

Weiz,

That's no running beer. That's a real Maurice Green sprinting beer. :lol:

So that's about 6 days from grain to brain.

Warren -

Strewth - 6 days! You better be using Coopers yeast or you'll be farting krausen!!

TL

Trough Lolly said:
Strewth - 6 days! You better be using Coopers yeast or you'll be farting krausen!!

TL
[post="64374"][/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol: (brrrrttttttt!!!!)

Warren -

Latest posts

Back