Kolsch Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincy

Reaction score
I don't know too much about beer styles, but have read a bit about Kolsch and thought it might be a good summer, easy drinking style for Christmas/New Year.

So I have found (and modified slightly) an extract recipe to suit and would appreciate any input you may have.

2750g. Light Dry Malt Extract
120g. Torrified Wheat
15g. Northern-Brewers. 6.9% 75 min
22g. Spalt 4.0% 15 min
35g. Hallertau 3.1% 15 min
15g. Czek Saaz 3.5% dry hopped
15g. Hallertau 3.1% dry hopped
1 teaspoon of Irish Moss
Kolsch Wyeast WLP029

The wheat will be steeped for 15 mins and then added to the boil.

I know that it is not a very efficient use of hops, but the cupboard is bare so this will give me the oppotunity to stock up on a few different types.

Cheers

Mmm I don't know about steeping torrefied wheat. Surely it needs to be mashed? Other than that it looks kickass, very tasty! :)

Thanks MCWB. Looks like this could turn out to be my first mini mash (mini being the operative word !!)

Cheers

Quincy

Torrefied wheat deffinitely needs mashing with a base grain. 120 gms will make virtually no difference to recipe, so maybe think about dropping it all together. Alternatively just add about 10% wheat malt.

You should also re-think the hop schedule. Definitely drop the dry hopping, and seriously reconsider the late additions. If you stick to adding hops early in the boil, you should have enough Hallertau for the whole job, which would be keeping to style.

Have a read of the site below for some good reading on the style

http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index...020510221304290

Cheers
MAH

Thanks MAH.
Will replace the wheat with wheat malt. I have looked at the link you have provided (well speed read anyway!!). I will re read tonight and re think the hops. Have I got it right to say that u suggest adding just the Hallertau @ 75 mins?

Cheers

I'm not an expert on this style, but my understanding is that most Kolsch only us early additions, so adding Hallertau at 60mins for 20-22IBU would be closer to style.

Another approach that you might like to consider is a shorter boil. This is quite a light coloured beer, so reduce the amount of time you boil will reduce the darkening of the malt extract. Consider bringing it to the boil, add the bittering hops and boil only for 45mins.

Cheers
MAH

Thanks. I will try as u suggest and see what results I get. I was keen on this style for the lighter colour as well so I will also reduce the boil time.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back