Koelsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altstart

Reaction score
:beer:
I would like to brew a 50 ltr batch of Koelsch from grain this Saturday 30-7-05.
I am at a loss as to which yeast to use. I have 1007 or 1098. Any one brewed this beer useing either of these yeasts and how did it turn out.

Cheers altstart

G'day Altstart.

I have brewed a series of Kolsch style beers this year using 1007 and have been very happy with the yeast. It does need lagering, both to be true to style and to settle out, but contrary to the experiences of some, in my experience 1007 with 3 weeks plus lagering does settle out well and you'll get really nice clear beer. Of the two yeasts you have IMHO the 1007 is the go for a Kolsch. Make sure you either have reasonable headroom in your primary fermenter or rig up a blowoff tube however 'cause 1007 WILL climb out, even at 15-17 degree ferm temps.

Good luck,

Shawn.

Sorry to be a gruff old traditionalist, but as far as I'm concerned there is no choice.
Please use the 1007.
By all means try the 1098 in a later brew, but 1007 - brewed cold - is damn good for a Koelsch. Second only to a true Koelsch yeast.
1007 is damn good for many brews. Great yeast.

Bilph said:
Sorry to be a gruff old traditionalist, but as far as I'm concerned there is no choice.
Please use the 1007.
By all means try the 1098 in a later brew, but 1007 - brewed cold - is damn good for a Koelsch. Second only to a true Koelsch yeast.
[post="69714"][/post]​
I will second that! Clean crisp beer! Though I used Saf K97, supposed to be the same as the 1007??

Troob

Troob said:
Bilph said:
Please use the 1007.
[post="69714"][/post]​
I will second that! Clean crisp beer! Though I used Saf K97, supposed to be the same as the 1007??

Troob
[post="69734"][/post]​

hmm, I have on in at the moment using the 2565 - but the yeast seems to be a bit tempermantal, has anyone used this one and can tell me a bit more about it maybe?

facter,

Not used it myself, but here's the blurb off the Wyeast site:

2565 Klsch Yeast.
Probable origin: Cologne, Germany
Beer Styles: Traditional American use - Klsch, Fruit beers, Light pseudo lagers
Commercial examples may include: Kess, Paffgen, Muhlen
Unique properties: True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55-60 F range, (13-16 C). Used to produce quick conditioning pseudo lager beers. Poor flocculating yeast requires filtration to produce bright beers or additional settling time. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (56-70 F, 13-21 C)

cheers Ross

Back