Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack of all biers said:
Legen........ wait for it...........dary.
Idea for the leaf catcher hopper was on here (AHB) for the marga grain mills which I upgraded from. I just adapted the setup I had for the new mill. 20litre big w pot catches my 5 to 6 kilos of crushed grain no worries.

sipping my first wheat to come out of the minimash. i don't know what my first two runs were set at, a credit card plus 1.5 notches. it looked good at eye sight, but clearly way too coarse. this wheat (2.1% alc when it should have been 4.5) looks like kiddies lemonade.

funnily enough, still a pleasant quaff on a hot afternoon. dunno if i'd call it beer though.

ran a batch through last weekend (for a gf) at 7mm (with my NEW feeler gauges.... woo hoo!!!), and that struggled on the gf mash, getting borderline stuck.
ran one through this morning on 55% wheat at 9mm. being wheat, had a 15min rest @52C then up to 67. overflow pipe was just able to handle it.
so my tentative theory on the gf is 9mm on barley and 9-10mm on wheat.

actually, this 2.1% is ok. my neighbour's got a 6 and 8 yr old. they'd probably love it. :chug:

butisitart said:
sipping my first wheat to come out of the minimash. i don't know what my first two runs were set at, a credit card plus 1.5 notches. it looked good at eye sight, but clearly way too coarse. this wheat (2.1% alc when it should have been 4.5) looks like kiddies lemonade.

funnily enough, still a pleasant quaff on a hot afternoon. dunno if i'd call it beer though.

ran a batch through last weekend (for a gf) at 7mm (with my NEW feeler gauges.... woo hoo!!!), and that struggled on the gf mash, getting borderline stuck.
ran one through this morning on 55% wheat at 9mm. being wheat, had a 15min rest @52C then up to 67. overflow pipe was just able to handle it.

actually, this 2.1% is ok. my neighbour's got a 6 and 8 yr old. they'd probably love it. :chug:
When you say 7mm or 9-10mm do you mean 0.7mm or 0.9mm?

butisitart said:

Yep, last mill at 1mm with the new rollers turned out pretty good for the Grainfather. Longest sparge yet at 20minutes. Next time I'm going to push it to 0.9mm. Reckon this is going to be the sweetspot for Grainfather using the new rollers.

2.1% hmm... Beats my 3.2% (target ABV 5.5%) with my first AG brew. Just mow the lawn first and it will taste even better.

butisitart said:
You could just add 250 gm of rice hulls to help the lauter. I did this with my last Weizen with 66% wheat bill and it lautered just brilliantly. It's not Deutsche Rheinheitsgebot, but it doesn't add anything, but ease of lauter! That way you could stick with the 0.7mm crush and improve efficiency without lauter issues. Admittedly I don't have a GF so speak only from 3V Mashtun experience.

huez said:
When you say 7mm or 9-10mm do you mean 0.7mm or 0.9mm?
He must, otherwise he is making beer from walnuts.

And I wouldn't put that past a mini mill anyway[emoji51]

For those with a fluted and knurled combo, on the weekend I did a batch. Went with 1.05mm for a 1V recirc mash w 3:1 mash ratio.

Went ok, maybe a little fine as flow was slow. Though I'm usually a BIAB so new process for me.

I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy of measurement with combo rollers, as there are logically high/low points due to the flutes (depending if measuring on top of a flute or otherwise etc).

Anyhow, I checked this thread before milling and there were no recommendations, so this may assist another brewer.

Mr B said:
For those with a fluted and knurled combo, on the weekend I did a batch. Went with 1.05mm for a 1V recirc mash w 3:1 mash ratio.

Went ok, maybe a little fine as flow was slow. Though I'm usually a BIAB so new process for me.

I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy of measurement with combo rollers, as there are logically high/low points due to the flutes (depending if measuring on top of a flute or otherwise etc).

Anyhow, I checked this thread before milling and there were no recommendations, so this may assist another brewer.
I recirc with biab and worked my way up to 1.38mm. This is not a fine crush but because I recirc I dont like it too fine anyway. Ran wheat through on its own for the last brew and it looked like a good crush. Grain runs through pretty fast using an aeg 18v cordless on 1st speed.
Hope this helps anyone else playing around with this new setup.
Thanks to mashmaster for their product support and prompt replacement roller.

Chridech said:
Yep, last mill at 1mm with the new rollers turned out pretty good for the Grainfather. Longest sparge yet at 20minutes. Next time I'm going to push it to 0.9mm. Reckon this is going to be the sweetspot for Grainfather using the new rollers.

2.1% hmm... Beats my 3.2% (target ABV 5.5%) with my first AG brew. Just mow the lawn first and it will taste even better.
Reporting back on mill gap setting after my last couple of brews with the Grainfather and using the fluted (double rollers) Mashmaster. Tried 0.9mm and found that I had a slower sparge at 20-25 minutes. Not sure if my calculations were correct but came out at 78% mash efficiency which is below what achieved with 1mm. I think there is a fair bit of hit and miss measuring the gap using a feeler gauge with the fluted rollers. 0.1mm is bugger all difference in my book. The gap as measured changes as to what position the rollers are in (i.e. in the valley or the peak of the flutes). Last weekends brew I used 1mm gap (as best as I could measure); the sparge was easy (6.4kg all barley malt) and mash efficiency was 85%. So for now I will stick to 1mm for the GF. Will try a smaller gap when I brew with a wheat malt.

Chridech said:
Reporting back on mill gap setting after my last couple of brews with the Grainfather and using the knurled (double rollers) Mashmaster. Tried 0.9mm and found that I had a slower sparge at 20-25 minutes. Not sure if my calculations were correct but came out at 78% mash efficiency which is below what achieved with 1mm. I think there is a fair bit of hit and miss measuring the gap using a feeler gauge with the knurled rollers. 0.1mm is bugger all difference in my book. The gap as measured changes as to what position the rollers are in (i.e. in the valley or the peak of the knurls). Last weekends brew I used 1mm gap (as best as I could measure); the sparge was easy (6.4kg all barley malt) and mash efficiency was 85%. So for now I will stick to 1mm for the GF. Will try a smaller gap when I brew with a wheat malt.
Are you talking knurled or fluted rollers mate? You say knurled but sounds more like you’re describing fluted when you say “i.e. in the valley or the peak of the knurls” also your post #352 in this thread says you have fluted.

S.E said:
Are you talking knurled or fluted rollers mate? You say knurled but sounds more like you’re describing fluted when you say “i.e. in the valley or the peak of the knurls” also your post #352 in this thread says you have fluted.
Yes sorry S.E, one too many IPAs already tonight. Fluted they are. Will edit my post. Cheers

Don't laugh I know it's been a few months but first proper go on the new mill. I just ripped through 4.6 kilos of grain in a couple of minutes. Width set at 1 myki card. Crush looked perfect. These mills are fantastic. I'd just high fived myself and congratulated myself on the great choice of mill I made, then when cleaning said awesome mill blew some flour off the rollers and directly into my eyes. Currently mashing in the BM and a mini mash sitting at 38 degrees in my eyeballs...
Beer will probably fix this.

I regularly cleanse my Eyeballs with beer, it's an old family tradition stemming from the great water shortage of 2008.

Benn said:
I regularly cleanse my Eyeballs with beer, it's an old family tradition stemming from the great water shortage of 2008.
FACE PALM!!! Here I was just drinking it and wondering why my eyes were still so sore. Could also be something to do with today being international masturbation day...

Back on topic mash master fluted rollers are awesome.

Bridges, on 07 May 2016 - 6:37 PM, said:
Bridges said:
Could also be something to do with today being international masturbation day...

Back on topic mash master skin-fluted roll hers are awesome.
FTFY

Latest posts

Back