Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have probably increased price to cover replacement costs of the dodgy ones.

Still no reply for me, Liam did you email ask@mashmaster ?

When do you think you'll get your flutes Liam?

I'd like your opinion on the performance change.

I don't think MashMaster have ever been considered cheap (for homebrewers), have they?

Prices would have also gone up due to the exchange rate which has dropped 30% over the last year - if production is being done in China, which I'm lead to believe it is.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
When do you think you'll get your flutes Liam?

I'd like your opinion on the performance change.
Dunno. Will update when they arrive. the performance of the knurled rollers was awesome for the first few dozen batches.

Spiesy said:
I don't think MashMaster have ever been considered cheap (for homebrewers), have they?

Prices would have also gone up due to the exchange rate which has dropped 30% over the last year - if production is being done in China, which I'm lead to believe it is.
Yep no doubt. I think it's a fair price - assuming that fluted rollers are the ducks nuts.

I emailed Mashmaster yesterday but no reply as yet. He did say when I contacted him back in June that they would send replacement rollers out to those with duds once they got them.

I'm thinking of getting a new or different one and using the one I have as a feeder to mash in with. This will feed the milled grain into a hydrator at a constant rate to allow for automated mash in without dough balls. This is how they get coal into a power station boiler only the ground coal is mixed with air and blown into the furnace.

BrutusB said:
Gents, If you're requesting replacement rollers - send an email to [email protected] as you can be sure Frank will get it.
Aha. I had sent it to a different email address that I used to contact him last year. Sent to the above and got a reply within minutes!

He's going to send me a single fluted roller as they don't have full sets right now, but he reckons a fluted/knurled combo works just fine so I'm happy with that.

A post to give a rap to Frank from mashmaster. I have had trouble with my mill rollers, for which they supplied a replacement roller, and which I was still having problems with. Emailed after 10pm last night (Saturday), and got a reply within minutes that a replacement roller would be sent as above.

You seriously cannot expect any better service than that.

Despite the issues, Mashmaster is seriously committed to a solution, and absolutely to quality customer service.

I have no affitliation etc, and would rather that my mill worked as intended, but I simply must make mention of the after sales support.

Thanks Frank

Sounds like the past problems are just that, customer service is second to none. Looking forward to the reviews on the new mills.
Just send me a mill for valuation and I give both Frank and Ross a cuddle.....well Frank maybe and Ross a friendly wave from a distance. :lol: :beerbang: ;)

Just emailed and as per Mr B's post, reply within minutes and he's going to send me out a single fluted roller to replace one of the knurled rollers with. That's brilliant! If it gets here before Tuesday I'll test it out as I'm doing a brew day then.

nosco said:
Is he only offering one as a replacement or is that all he has in stock?
Francis has trialled a new fluted short roller with a worn knurled roller and apparently it works fine. Considering the effort and replacements he has already done I think that is fair. I dont really care what the rollers look like as long as the unit works as it should.
When I get my replacement roller I will run some grain through it and report back

Cheers

I should have my new rollers by Friday so I will attempt to do a side-by-side with 2 different gaps measuring the time taken and with a photo of the crush.

I'll do something like this, all with 1kg of the same base malt:

Old rollers, 1.25mm
Old rollers, 0.9mm
New rollers, 1.25mm
New rollers, 0.9mm

My current rollers are possibly a bit more problematic than other people here - they are not perfectly cylindrical (i.e., the ends are smaller than the middle) so this may or may not be of use.

My mill turned up today, its impressive. Haven't had a chance to run grain through it yet as everything is at my work and due to some idiot driver before christmas i'm on the pushy until i get a new car. Hopefully get everything home by the weekend to brew and will take some action shots including some photos of the milled grain.

I can't see there being any issue with the grain getting pulled through anymore, will be interesting to see the quality of the crush though.

My new rollers arrived today.

I've got 20kg of mixed grain ready to be milled for a quad batch of Aussie Old.
If it goes alright I might just double up and throw a sack of BB ale thru it as well.
If it doesn't go so well I have a MM2 ready for action.

It's been a while since there's been 8 or 10 cubes in the pool.

Back