KK Grand Deluxe Compressor Cycling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko72

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Recently bought a GD125 the 2 door Grand Deluxe Kegerator from KegKing.
I have it set at 2.5c.

It takes 3 minutes for the unit to climb up to 7.5c and about 3 minutes to get back down to 2.5c.

Compressor cycling every 3 minutes wouldn't be doing the unit or the bills any good!

I have tried adjusting the compressor delay to 15 mins.
This works but does result in a longer compressor run to bring the unit back down to 2.5c.

Does anyone have and experience with these units?

Perhaps probe can be placed in liquid?

Thanks again

D!CKO

There is no way it should be rising that fast. A degree or so in an hour, maybe, but not minutes.

For what you paid for it, take it back and get them to sort it out.

I noticed mine did that as well. Now it has stopped chilling altogether. Currently holds temp around 13*C. I have cleaned the heat exchanger as best I can.

Might be time to call a fridge mechanic.

Is the fridge empty or full? I found that mine held temperature better when it had 4 kegs in one side and a decent load of bottles in the other side.

It also seems that the arrangement is more like an STC style temp controller than a regular fridge thermostat. I've considered taking mine out of the back corner and placing it in some liquid to get a more realistic temp reading.

Even as it is when it is warm it probably runs for 2 minutes every 15 minutes which seems like a lot to me. Makes me wonder where all the cold air is going so quickly!

I've just picked up a second hand one (I haven't had a chance to run it with kegs in it), has anyone got an update?
I did notice that the thermometer was pretty close to the fans from the compressor.
I'm thinking it might need to be down the other end in a glass of water?

Hi Folks,

Recently bought a GD125 the 2 door Grand Deluxe Kegerator from KegKing.
I have it set at 2.5c.

It takes 3 minutes for the unit to climb up to 7.5c and about 3 minutes to get back down to 2.5c.

Compressor cycling every 3 minutes wouldn't be doing the unit or the bills any good!

I have tried adjusting the compressor delay to 15 mins.
This works but does result in a longer compressor run to bring the unit back down to 2.5c.

Does anyone have and experience with these units?

Perhaps probe can be placed in liquid?

Thanks again

D!CKO

My brother bought one a while back. It did the exact same thing. It worked fine but was very loud for use inside the house so he got rid of it. Sorry it's just how they are.

We have ours downstairs and you really only notice it if you are watching tv and everything else is quiet.

How often it cycles depends on ambient temp and how full the fridge is.

It is advertised as a commercial unit but I an still surprised at how often it cycles and how quick the temperature rises which does seem to be related to the location of the temperature probe.

It enables me to have 4 kegs on and a decent sized fridge downstairs and there just isn't any competition in that sector of he market unfortunately!

there just isn't any competition in that sector of he market unfortunately!

I reckon there is competition. In my opinion, the Bracton sub zero range are streets ahead of anything Keg King have at the moment.

The BDD3S is a quality unit with a list price of only around $100 more than the Grand Deluxe. But it comes in stainless with a glass door as standard as well.

These units are whole lot better insulated, which means less cycling.

And no... I have no affiliation with Bracton, they just sell quality equipment.

upload_2017-7-20_8-56-45.png

I wish I knew about that one when i bought my Grand Deluxe. Having said that, my GD is working fine now.

Do you know the price on the2 door unit? I had a look around and could only find things that were around twice the price for basically the same unit!

Do you know the price on the2 door unit? I had a look around and could only find things that were around twice the price for basically the same unit!
Not certain, but I think list price is a little bit under 1900 bucks. Somewhere in that ball park.

I've sent them a request for a quote so will see what comes back.

2 door around 1900 with no font part etc only fridge [emoji106]

Has anyone got one of the Bracton Subzero? If so, what are your thoughts etc?

For domestic use, they shit all over their competition from a great height. :)
I was hoping to hear that... my wife has been asking me questions about them. I'd hate to have mislead her :D

Any advice on font selection and font cooling options?

I have plenty of advice mate, gimme her number?

Bracton sub zero units are money well spent for HB guys.

Which one are you looking at, & what do you want it to do?

EDIT TO ADD: Emoticon smiley ran away in line 1.

I have plenty of advice mate, gimme her number?

Bracton sub zero units are money well spent for HB guys.

Which one are you looking at, & what do you want it to do?

EDIT TO ADD: Emoticon smiley ran away in line 1.

I am looking at the 3 door, I want to be able to get a bunch of cornies in (start with 1 font though) with the option to get a single 50litre in. It will be inside (I know they can be a bit loud, but hopefully it will be OK where it will go). I'd like to be able to pour the first beer without a significant amount of foam. I was planning to run gas inside the fridge so I don't need to drill holes in the cabinet or mount bottles etc.

I was hoping for a unit I could grow into rather than out of in the long term.

[edit] speeling

Back