KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, do you know diameter? I'd be interested to know if I can fit 2 in my fermentation fridge.

Also do you know when they will be available?

I see that these Chubbys are now released, but they don't have a handle. Is this something you need to buy separately?

I see that these Chubbys are now released, but they don't have a handle. Is this something you need to buy separately?
The handle will be available separately initially but we might change that down the track if most people would like to have it.

Just had a look at the Chubby video (here) it does look like a handle on the Chubby would be handy (pardon the pun).

Without a handle it looks like moving it around full would require a big old bear hug to lift it. Not impossible, or even hard, just going to be easier with a handle I reckon.

(mind you I have been known to hug my fermenters on occasions)

Just had a look at the Chubby video (here) it does look like a handle on the Chubby would be handy (pardon the pun).

Without a handle it looks like moving it around full would require a big old bear hug to lift it. Not impossible, or even hard, just going to be easier with a handle I reckon.

(mind you I have been known to hug my fermenters on occasions)
Well it is a bit of weight so we are definitely looking at offering the handle as part of the kit down the track a bit.

Good idea - the handle on the bigger 60l units is really....... handy:cool:
Good to know. When it was first being designed I was a bit sceptical but having used it myself I concur. It also shows how incredibly strong our PET is and all our future designs will have the molded handles made in this way. We do pride ourselves in having the toughest PET pressure vessels in the world.

It is time to show people how the lid on the 60 and 30 litre Fermenter Kings looks and works. For the Snubnose versions the centre tower is used to attach the internal thermowell. For the yeast collection version this retains the valve operation tube/Thermowell. In addition it’s a standard thread which can be used with our cleaning kit by screwing on our CIP spray ball underneath.

All in all this is a really versatile item and it is made from polypropylene which is food safe. Supplied with the right O-ring it also works on Fermzilla vessels and can replace the glass reinforced plastic used on those vessels for those who prefer not to have glass reinforced plastic touch their beer and to enjoy the extra functionality.

Attachments

• 3544F0A7-2288-47D9-9236-EF83429815AA.jpeg
    3544F0A7-2288-47D9-9236-EF83429815AA.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 8F28A692-33E9-495D-BD8F-5E10B6EA90EC.jpeg
    8F28A692-33E9-495D-BD8F-5E10B6EA90EC.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 70
  • B5E50D80-062D-4124-9B32-490865F97833.jpeg
    B5E50D80-062D-4124-9B32-490865F97833.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 64
  • B8DEAC7E-56A8-4F38-AB2D-DC6ED5060C4E.jpeg
    B8DEAC7E-56A8-4F38-AB2D-DC6ED5060C4E.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 63
It is time to show people how the lid on the 60 and 30 litre Fermenter Kings looks and works. For the Snubnose versions the centre tower is used to attach the internal thermowell. For the yeast collection version this retains the valve operation tube/Thermowell. In addition it’s a standard thread which can be used with our cleaning kit by screwing on our CIP spray ball underneath.

All in all this is a really versatile item and it is made from polypropylene which is food safe. Supplied with the right O-ring it also works on Fermzilla vessels and can replace the glass reinforced plastic used on those vessels for those who prefer not to have glass reinforced plastic touch their beer and to enjoy the extra functionality.
Anything new in the pipe line?

Any chance of some more information about the Apollo as in this image posted by WEAL in the
Brewloon thread.
1606692213918.png

Have got the Apollo, was one of the prototype, handles are part of the body, cut down one of my old snub nose stands and fitted a tap, don't pressure ferment so not needed.
Overall height on the stand 575mm, they would normally come with a collection bottle so some extra height there. I like the improved design of the lid, not only the larger size but sealing with an O ring, those flat gaskets seem/do stretch over time.
Will get some PVC end covers for the legs.

005.JPG

I may have missed it but are the chubbies going to be produced with handles? And the gen 3 lids?
I personally find the stainless stands on the conicals a pain, both to use and to store, if yeast harvesting isn't a primary goal I question the value of the design.
A chubby with the gen 3 lid, moulded handles, and a base shaped so that it could stack on other chubbies would be almost perfect imho.

Well I did a brew today, ESB and used SO4 but I have got some Blue stone liquid yeast and will be top cropping that. The top is certainly big enough. Even if it wasn't it is easy enough to collect yeast from the cone. I did it in my Snub Nose enough times.
Biggest problem I found is, it is a fair walk to my fermenting room from the brewing area, carrying 21 litres of wort by plastic handles was a bit daunting, even though I know the 60 litre has the same handles.
008.JPG

I've been using the fkj's and really like the fact there isn't a separate stand, and the handles make it a breeze to move around.
I can't fathom why they would produce the 30L chubby without handles, also they have seen the need for the gen 3 lid which looks great but then go and produce a new product (the chubby) with the old style lid?

I've been using the fkj's and really like the fact there isn't a separate stand, and the handles make it a breeze to move around.
I can't fathom why they would produce the 30L chubby without handles, also they have seen the need for the gen 3 lid which looks great but then go and produce a new product (the chubby) with the old style lid?
I Agree with you Grmblz. I am using the fkj's for kegs at the moment, not enough head space for some of my brews and have purchased a Chubby. I BIAB and gravity feed from my urn to the chubby on the floor then find it heavy and awkward to lift the Cubby back to the bench. I also agree that the gen 3 lid would have been handy rather than have to stick the thermo onto the outside of the of the Chubby.

Maybe it requires extra tooling or just different pre forms. I have seen some fancy work done with parra cord, I might have a go at making something.

Back