KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read through this entire thread and still not sure if the fermentasaurus is the way to go for me. Ive gone back to bottling most brews as I dont drink as much these days.
I dont think ill pressure ferment very often unless i am doing a batch for a keg, so most of the time will want to ferment with an airlock, dump the trub and yeast, and then prime in the fermenter and bottle. i like the idea of not having to transfer to a secondary to bulk prime. One less step on brew day.

So when adding priming solution what is the method for adding it to the fermenter without adding any oxygen as well and making sure it is stirred through thoroughly? Could you pump it through the liquid out post somehow? My concern would be that it would sink down to the bottom so the first few bottles are over primed?

Also whats the difference between the fermentasuarus 2 and 3 and is the 3 actually what they sell at KK now?

Just read through this entire thread and still not sure if the fermentasaurus is the way to go for me. Ive gone back to bottling most brews as I dont drink as much these days.
I dont think ill pressure ferment very often unless i am doing a batch for a keg, so most of the time will want to ferment with an airlock, dump the trub and yeast, and then prime in the fermenter and bottle. i like the idea of not having to transfer to a secondary to bulk prime. One less step on brew day.

So when adding priming solution what is the method for adding it to the fermenter without adding any oxygen as well and making sure it is stirred through thoroughly? Could you pump it through the liquid out post somehow? My concern would be that it would sink down to the bottom so the first few bottles are over primed?
I use a second snubby as a secondary,, the exhausting co2 is discharged into the secodary making for an oxygen free transfer. If bottling i will then let the beer finish fermenting as normal through a blow off tube and prime as normal for bottling. It would be almost impossible to know how much priming sugar to add to a pressurised transfered beer.
Also whats the difference between the fermentasuarus 2 and 3 and is the 3 actually what they sell at KK now?
The Fermentasaurus 3 is the new one to be released by Keg King, Keg Land has the Fermzilla 1 & 2 when they are released.

I use a second snubby as a secondary,, the exhausting co2 is discharged into the secodary making for an oxygen free transfer. If bottling i will then let the beer finish fermenting as normal through a blow off tube and prime as normal for bottling. It would be almost impossible to know how much priming sugar to add to a pressurised transfered beer.

The Fermentasaurus 3 is the new one to be released by Keg King, Keg Land has the Fermzilla 1 & 2 when they are released.

So when you bulk prime in the fermenter how do you ensure you are getting the priming solution mixed in thoroughly?

So what improvements does the Fermentasuarus 3 have over the 2 and when does it come out?

So when you bulk prime in the fermenter how do you ensure you are getting the priming solution mixed in thoroughly?

So what improvements does the Fermentasuarus 3 have over the 2 and when does it come out?
If you are going to bottle best to use abottling bucket to prime or drink straight from the secondary if you have added pressure.
Not sure when the Fermentasaurus 3 will be released but from what I have been told there are a couple of extra features which are pretty damn good.

Fermentasaurus Gen 2 (Called Fermzilla 1 or 2?) is listed on Keg Land as "Due to be released to a wider audience in 2019" but you are already talking about a release of a Gen 3 (which is a fermentasaurus gen 3 not a fermzilla?) on KK before Gen 2 has even been released on Keg Land? God that's confusing and a horrible marketing practice?

Compounding the issue the listing on Keg Land is "Fermentasaurus Gen 2" but this is actually Fermzilla gen 1 or gen 2 while the one on Keg King is truly a Fermentasaurus gen 2?

I recently bought the snub nose (and bought a Kegmaster fridge at the same time). I was keen on closed transfers and also moving from bottling to kegging.

Because one of the selling points of the snub was to ferment, carbonate and serve all in the one vessel, my plan is to try serving directly out of primary. But mostly I'll be transferring each fermented batch into 2 kegs for conditioning (because I split my batches with a mate).

My first batch, a schwarzbier, went in at the weekend.

The snubby was extremely easy to move when filled with 23L. There was a lot of cold break in the cone (which there also would have been when using my old HDPE fermenters, but I wouldn't usually be able to see, and albeit with slightly less contact surface area in the snubby than in HDPE). After about 48-72 hours I could see a layer of yeast (way more than I'd pitched) had formed on top of the cold break stuff.

I did notice that when you put the spunding valve on the gas disconnect you can't actually fit it on to the lid's post due to the height not fitting under the roof of the Kegmaster series 4 firdge. So I guess I'll need to either buy a SS disconnect (which angles out at 90 degrees) or see if I can attach a bit of hosing between the disconnect and the spunding valve to make it fit. Anyway that was slightly annoying and you'd think they'd sell you something that actually works out of the box. But overall I'm very happy with it all.

I'm a bit clueless about fermenting under pressure. I'm not particularly interested pressure fermenting, moreso just the closed system and keeping oxygen away. I assume I'm meant to have the spunding valve attached during ferment? My initial plan is to just keep periodically releasing pressure (via the safety pin) until the ferment is complete, then pressure transfer half to a 9.5L keg for safe keeping, while briefly lagering the remainder before serving it off the yeast cake directly out of the snub.
I just got a snub nose too. I run a blow off tube to a keg liquid post and then out the gas post to a jug of Star San. You get a keg purged of oxygen using the CO2 from your ferment. I've connected two kegs in series too.

Does the snubnose come with handles for lifting? It looks like it has some in the KK videos, but not on the website. Just wondering how you'd go about shifting this when it's full of liquid. Especially if it were in a chest freezer fermentation chamber.

Does the snubnose come with handles for lifting? It looks like it has some in the KK videos, but not on the website. Just wondering how you'd go about shifting this when it's full of liquid. Especially if it were in a chest freezer fermentation chamber.
It does but the stand is upside down compared to the regular fermentasaurus. Its not hard to swap the handle location though. Pair of pliers and you're laughing. I lift mine in and out of the chest freezer ferm chamber with no problems.

Caught a glimpse of the new, (I can't call it Fermentasarus) looks like the age of the fermenting dinosaur is over! Out, the space taking butterfly valve, Out, the collection bottle. In tri clover fittings. Looks like the fresh critical key minds of this unit are onto a winner.

Caught a glimpse of the new, (I can't call it Fermentasarus) looks like the age of the fermenting dinosaur is over! Out, the space taking butterfly valve, Out, the collection bottle. In tri clover fittings. Looks like the fresh critical key minds of this unit are onto a winner.

When will it be released?

Indication of price?

The one I saw was the prototype, the punter who can come up with a name for this unit gets it for free! Certainly is a game changer! putting all bias aside.Get your thinking cap on NaV they may be releasing some more info tomorrow or the next day.

So does this mean the mark2 butterfly valve I recently bought for my Fermentasaurus is now obsolete?

What's a space-taking butterfly valve? Or more to the point, what's a more compact valve than a butterfly? I've seen some ball valves that are similar size to a butterfly but the vast majority and all diaphragm valves are bigger than butterflies.

So does this mean the mark2 butterfly valve I recently bought for my Fermentasaurus is now obsolete?
I would hope that all those with a Fermentasaurus would be able to up grade to the new model, and yes your vave is obsolete.

What's a space-taking butterfly valve? Or more to the point, what's a more compact valve than a butterfly? I've seen some ball valves that are similar size to a butterfly but the vast majority and all diaphragm valves are bigger than butterflies.
I think part of the problem when thinking about the design of a fermenter everyone would be looking at what is available.
The thinking here is more than out of the square, there is NO valve, I would have liked to have taken some pics but I will leave that to them.
So, no stripping down and cleaning valves which is a bonus, I would say it would also be a great adaption to put on their s/steel Guten model, considering a thermowell is a part of the mechanics of this simple system.
So in place of a butterfly valve, take the GER out of Tony Locket is a clue, spring loaded and adjustable.

Fair point, but looking at what's available implies interchangeability, flexibility and competition which is a good thing. Bespoke and improved (hopefully) solutions are good too but can lock you into the manufacturer's view of the best way to do things, which may not match mine.

Having said that, is this solution that you speak of a tri-clamp component itself? If so then that's best of both worlds - if I don't like it I can swap it for something I do. If the big fella has a spring and adjustment in it then technically it may not be a valve but it will still have some complexity to clean, I'm assuming. Interested to see it. I've had some thoughts myself on valve-less trub and yeast removal but every solution has its compromises.

So do you have any idea on when these are likely to be made available for purchase?

Fair point, but looking at what's available implies interchangeability, flexibility and competition which is a good thing. Bespoke and improved (hopefully) solutions are good too but can lock you into the manufacturer's view of the best way to do things, which may not match mine.

Having said that, is this solution that you speak of a tri-clamp component itself? If so then that's best of both worlds - if I don't like it I can swap it for something I do. If the big fella has a spring and adjustment in it then technically it may not be a valve but it will still have some complexity to clean, I'm assuming. Interested to see it. I've had some thoughts myself on valve-less trub and yeast removal but every solution has its compromises.

So do you have any idea on when these are likely to be made available for purchase?
Cleaning is as simple as the whole concept, it's as if the team behind the design have not been influenced or even seen a fermenter, I am a great believer in keeping things as simple as possible, this is so simple I am jealous.
I expect KK to be putting something up today or tomorrow, the parts for the proto type I believe were manufactured on site, so once they have everything sorted the parts will be manufactured overseas. Cost I wouldn't have a clue, but if it was me I would certainly be milking it before it got copied:)

Latest posts

Back