KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see both competing retailers have realised that nothing says "transparent unitank" like a giant lizard.
Very funny :fallingoffchair:
If you already have the pump you are more than 1/2 way there. Go for it.

I am also going to adapt the spray ball for kegs, I spoke to someone who was really helpful Darren I believe his name is, gave me some good info on keg cleaning and I have bought a plastic adapter for $10 for the kegs. Will post up pics when I get it.

@Reg Holt Where did you get the spray ball from?
When I bought the snub nose fermentasaurus'us or sauri they told me at keg king they were getting some in, so I put one on backorder, didn't realise I would be paying for a plate I will probably never use. Must say my idea was just to spray PAA but with that pump it will clean off any crud, so I can use it for cleaning and sanitising.

Bunnings to the rescue with a pump and fittings needed.
I bought one of those XU1 submersible pumps from Bunnings a couple months ago. Was going to use it to pump water back up to a header tank in hydroponics setup but it started tripping the power after less than two weeks of being submerged.

You may fare better if you don’t keep it submerged between uses.

I bought one of those XU1 submersible pumps from Bunnings a couple months ago. Was going to use it to pump water back up to a header tank in hydroponics setup but it started tripping the power after less than two weeks of being submerged.

You may fare better if you don’t keep it submerged between uses.
I would be taking it back Sean, I have 4 submersibles for moving water around had them all for about 8 years only one has died on me and that was the one which did the most work.

I would be taking it back Sean, I have 4 submersibles for moving water around had them all for about 8 years only one has died on me and that was the one which did the most work.
Yep, I did take it back. I may have just had a duff one as you would expect to be able keep it submerged without leaking and tripping the power. I was quite impressed with it for the price till that happened. Are any of yours XU1 pumps?

Yep, I did take it back. I may have just had a duff one as you would expect to be able keep it submerged without leaking and tripping the power. I was quite impressed with it for the price till that happened. Are any of yours XU1 pumps?
No they weren't around when I got mine, but they were all cheapies at the time, one of them pumps the washing machine water around to the front garden. I would hate to see what that looks like on the inside.

I used the spray ball set up with a shorter nipple yesterday, ideal piece of gear for cleaning cubes, hot water and perc they were done in a flash.

Well my pump will not be good for that its a small mag drive, just had a look on line 14,000 litres per hour, certainly got some grunt.

Well my pump will not be good for that its a small mag drive, just had a look on line 14,000 litres per hour, certainly got some grunt.
I use these for kegs and fermenters with a Bunnings plastic riser https://www.ebay.com/itm/G1-2-Stain...y-Spray-Ball/162957007810?hash=item25f0fe9bc2 and the 5000 ltr https://www.ebay.com/itm/Submersibl...sh-Tank-Air-AUS-/253386131014?var=&hash=item0 about $60 all up, the pump is rated for saltwater use (corrosive) and being mag drive comes apart really easily for cleaning out krausen crud.
The KK spray ball gives a good spiral spray, I think for the extra money the pump with a powerful 900 watt motor and more than double the rise of the aquarium pump is money well spent. I will be adding attachments for the kegs to blast through the gas and liquid posts at the same time.

The KK spray ball gives a good spiral spray, I think for the extra money the pump with a powerful 900 watt motor and more than double the rise of the aquarium pump is money well spent. I will be adding attachments for the kegs to blast through the gas and liquid posts at the same time.
Yeh not knocking the KK ball (I don't have one so have no idea how they perform) or sprucking the ebay one, just showing what I use for those that are thinking about getting something similar. The pump is a different story, having kept marine aquariums I know "pumps aint pumps" have lost count of the sometimes not so cheap pumps that crap out after a few months of running salt water through them, I'm not a chemist so don't know how corrosive the various chemicals are that different people use in their cleaning regime, I do know that hot (not boiling) PBW and perc' have no apparent effect on salt water aquarium pumps, power wise if I ever have to replace that pump I'll be getting the 3000 ltr one, the 5000 ltr is just a bit too powerful and creates a lot of foam/suds with PBW, also my electricity bill is bad enough as it is (running a couple of stills will do that lol) so any saving I can make is looked at closely, 80 watts (or 55 watts for the 3000 ltr model) v 900 watts is quite compelling, add in ceramic shafts (no pitting if I decide to run some bleach through it) easy disassembly (no scredrivers required) for the inevitable clogs, mag drive so if/when it does get gunked up it doesn't over heat and shit itself, and for me that's "job done" that's not to say other solutions aren't valid I'm just explaining why I use the kit that I do. For the posts I've got a couple of Bunnings dripper attachments, the threaded ones not the barbed, screwed into the base of the riser and a couple lengths of silicon tubing terminating in disconnects, if you're cleaning a keg then connect em, if it's a fermenter just leave em in the bucket, or whatever you're using as the resevoir. Hope it goes well and let us know how that monster pump goes, although I have a nasty feeling it might be like the day I ran out of tablet/bally things for the dishwasher and in my wisdom decided that dishwashing liquid would be a perfectly good substitute, that was over ten years ago and she still laughs about it. cheers G

For people buying the fermentasauras check your gas post. Noticed the gas leak the other day and it looks like my poppet was just off centre so I needed to disassemble and redo to fix it :)

For people buying the fermentasauras check your gas post. Noticed the gas leak the other day and it looks like my poppet was just off centre so I needed to disassemble and redo to fix it :)

I have noticed that happening on a few of my posts from time to time. You may not need to dissasemble the post, I have had luck just pressing the poppet down with a screwdriver (be mindful of pressure here) to reseat the oring. I think sometimes the poppet just gets twisted over to one side, causing the o-ring on the poppet to seal unevenly. reseating it should fix this issue.

I have got my spray ball (didn't have to buy the plate) and the XU 1 pump, how are you connecting to the posts on the keg?

Well it would seem that the naysayers were wrong, the Snubby out selling the saurus 1. I do think the size has the most impact, especially when deliberating the pro's and con's.

Well it would seem that the naysayers were wrong, the Snubby out selling the saurus 1. I do think the size has the most impact, especially when deliberating the pro's and con's.
ATM I suspect a lot of people are buying them who couldn't (for some reason) use the original Fermentasaurus, hence the rush of sales. After KL finally release the gen 2, and the initial rush is over to get hold of those, it will be interesting to see which of the 3 (original, snub, or zilla) sells the best.

Long term will be the true test (as it usually is).

Back