KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, my post was more me being excited than bashing the snub. Fridge space is an issue when I’m looking at 3 x 55L “fermzilla”. Might be better off with a chesty
I don't know what the dimensions are,or going to be for the 55 litre FermZilla but I would imagine that some serious fridge space is going to be needed
Anyway.... Back on topic.

Just put my first brew in my snub nose down. Love the trub collecting neatly down the bottom. Will take photos tomorrow. :)

I was also watching the following video and noticed that this new Spike conical has no collection ball which may be a change for conicals

Keeping the trub out then a collection bottle isn't needed, even with the fermentasaurus with the collection bottles it is painful to watch someone emptying out the trub through the collection bottle. A small bottle and loads of trub takes time to empty. Like all other conicals it would serve better minus the collection bottle and just a dump valve to get rid of the trub, leave the yeast in the cone until the beer has been removed. This is my latest ferment with the yeast collecting nicely in the cone.
001.JPG

Last edited:
Well, on a recent trip to KL to pick up some bits, I spotted this, could it be the rare and elusive Brewzilla?
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Interesting, but I think it is near the rubbish bin for a reason, its more than likely a prototype. The angle is completely wrong, conical fermenters as a rule are 60 to 70 degrees "included" angle, the reason being anything much bigger and the yeast will not flocculate into the tip of the cone it will stick to the sides of the gradient. Just by sight that looks to be a 90 degree "included" angle.

Interesting, but I think it is near the rubbish bin for a reason, its more than likely a prototype. The angle is completely wrong, conical fermenters as a rule are 60 to 70 degrees "included" angle, the reason being anything much bigger and the yeast will not flocculate into the tip of the cone it will stick to the sides of the gradient. Just by sight that looks to be a 90 degree "included" angle.
Looks to me like it's upside down.

I don't know what the dimensions are,or going to be for the 55 litre FermZilla but I would imagine that some serious fridge space is going to be needed

Keeping the trub out then a collection bottle isn't needed, even with the fermentasaurus with the collection bottles it is painful to watch someone emptying out the trub through the collection bottle. A small bottle and loads of trub takes time to empty. Like all other conicals it would serve better minus the collection bottle and just a dump valve to get rid of the trub, leave the yeast in the cone until the beer has been removed. This is my latest ferment with the yeast collecting nicely in the cone.
View attachment 115387
Is this a photo of the secondary because my first use is looking much the same? I probably left almost twice as much lees (is it called that in beer?) in the primary and it is now clearing nicely. I will be using PVPP for the first time just to get everything to drop out.

Is this a photo of the secondary because my first use is looking much the same? I probably left almost twice as much lees (is it called that in beer?) in the primary and it is now clearing nicely. I will be using PVPP for the first time just to get everything to drop out.
Yes that pic is of the secondary yeast bed.

Have a question. I put my first brew down on my snub last week and noticed that it was losing pressure. I just realised that it only does this when the gas disconnects have a connection. such as when applying co2, or a pressure release valve..odd thing is if there is no gas disconnect connected on the unit, it maintains pressure. Any ideas?

I feel like it is coming from the poppet

Have a question. I put my first brew down on my snub last week and noticed that it was losing pressure. I just realised that it only does this when the gas disconnects have a connection. such as when applying co2, or a pressure release valve..odd thing is if there is no gas disconnect connected on the unit, it maintains pressure. Any ideas?

The hose on the barb I have noticed in the past that pressure can be lost if the hose isn't clamped, if they are clamped use some Starsansan to spray around the likely places you could be losing the pressure.

The poppet itself wouldn't be the issue, as that is inside the post.
If you're getting leaking with both a spunding valve (I assume that's what you mean when you say PRV) or disconnect, then it's most likely the o-ring on the post is knackered (so gas will leak out between the post and disconnect).
What WEAL suggested would be worth a try, but if it's happening with two different disconnects on the post, I would try changing the post o-ring and see if that helps

I will be using PVPP for the first time just to get everything to drop out.

Be careful with the PVPP, dont overdo it, can even strip out some of the color.
Put a spray ball on back order when I ordered the snub nose and have just been informed they are now in stock. Looking to get a pump if anyone has a spare lying around.

Be careful with the PVPP, dont overdo it, can even strip out some of the color.
Put a spray ball on back order when I ordered the snub nose and have just been informed they are now in stock. Looking to get a pump if anyone has a spare lying around.
I have a spare pump but now I am looking to get the spray ball, not on their site yet, what is the cost?

Just as a point of interest what happens if the fermentasaurus 3 were to be released before the fermentasaurus2?

Got the spray ball this morning, had to rethink the method for the snubnose, easy to use with the Fermentasaurus proper
What I got.
View attachment 115428
Bunnings to the rescue with a pump and fittings needed.
View attachment 115429
Into a Bunnings pail with the pump snub nose over the top.
View attachment 115430
And finally, "Let us Spray"
View attachment 115431
I've got the same pump for moving pre-chilled water through my immersion chiller. I might follow your lead and adapt it for cleaning as well.

Well I think now that we are going to see one product called the 'fermentasaurus' and another called 'fermzilla'

I see both competing retailers have realised that nothing says "transparent unitank" like a giant lizard.

Back