KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we should keep it on topic, I am more interested in the snub nose fermentasaurus than hydro static pressure of commercial breweries. I really like the idea of drawing the beer off, and leaving the yeast cake in the cone, really does need a racking arm though.

You'll find that it is on topic mate, it's a discussion about the merits of what the snub nose version supposedly does and doesn't bring to the table. Just scroll on past if it goes over your head. But it definitely is relevant, because it's to do with one of the reasons why someone may or may not purchase it

You'll find that it is on topic mate, it's a discussion about the merits of what the snub nose version supposedly does and doesn't bring to the table. Just scroll on past if it goes over your head. But it definitely is relevant, because it's to do with one of the reasons why someone may or may not purchase it
How on earth does the hydro static pressure of a commercial fermenter have anything of relevance with a fermentasaurus? I would hardly think that anyone who was interested in the purchase of a snub nose version would be having second thoughts because of the workings of a large commercial fermenter.

I think we should keep it on topic, I am more interested in the snub nose fermentasaurus than hydro static pressure of commercial breweries. I really like the idea of drawing the beer off, and leaving the yeast cake in the cone, really does need a racking arm though.
I have made up a racking arm going to fit it before the next brew.

WEAL why are you using the racking arm over a picnic tap and co2?

Are you using that to transfer to keg?

So close to pulling the trigger on this :). Also like the competitive pricing.

WEAL why are you using the racking arm over a picnic tap and co2?

Are you using that to transfer to keg?

So close to pulling the trigger on this :). Also like the competitive pricing.
One reason, because the tap end (3/4 BSP ) is facing up and yeast drops into it, no a big problem, either needed a shroud or a racking arm. I am more into casks than kegs, I do have kegs but I will carbonate those using sugar.

How on earth does the hydro static pressure of a commercial fermenter have anything of relevance with a fermentasaurus? I would hardly think that anyone who was interested in the purchase of a snub nose version would be having second thoughts because of the workings of a large commercial fermenter.

It was being discussed because another forum member mentioned that a smaller amount of yeast/trub that is in contact with the beer in a conical is a very beneficial thing. This then lead to a conversation about the merits of this point, including where certain misconceptions may have originated, and why they aren't applicable to a smaller fermenter such as this.
You're absolutely correct that anyone considering purchasing one of these shouldn't be put off by hydrostatic pressure like a commercial fermenter, which is exactly what my point was.

Do you need me to walk you through any more of it? You clearly haven't even read it, just skimmed over it and started complaining

One reason, because the tap end (3/4 BSP ) is facing up and yeast drops into it, no a big problem, either needed a shroud or a racking arm. I am more into casks than kegs, I do have kegs but I will carbonate those using sugar.
It seems to me that product this has either been rushed to market, or was poorly designed from the outset, or was orchestrated by a bean counter. Or perhaps all three. As discussed many times previously, it's missing a dump valve to collect yeast, which to my mind and most other brewers I've spoken with, is the main reason you would use a conical fermenter. I wonder whether an accountant who has no idea about brewing thought "I know how I can knock a few bucks off this". Cheaper is not always better and this is a perfect case in point. Economy over practicality.

Even if you overlook this glaring omission as a handful have on this thread - and to be clear, I'm not judging, everyone has different economic pressures and price points that make a product viable for them - It's been designed with the tap end facing up which lets yeast drop into it.

There are too many compromises and poorly thought out/poorly executed components for me to consider buying one of these. I'm keen to see what KL bring to the table with their new second gen fermentasaurus. The first gen has too many issues for me (especially with hop matter clogging the dump valve), so until the second gen is a proven design, I'll stick with my trusty old HDPE fermenter.

For me it's a shame that KK have tried to win the mind of home brewers based on price alone, rather than being innovative and coming up with clever design solutions to the products that are already on the market. Hopefully they'll read comments like these (are you taking note WEAL?) and lift their design/innovation game. It would be a real win for the home brewing community (as well as KK) if they do.

It seems to me that product this has either been rushed to market, or was poorly designed from the outset, or was orchestrated by a bean counter. Or perhaps all three. As discussed many times previously, it's missing a dump valve to collect yeast, which to my mind and most other brewers I've spoken with, is the main reason you would use a conical fermenter. I wonder whether an accountant who has no idea about brewing thought "I know how I can knock a few bucks off this". Cheaper is not always better and this is a perfect case in point. Economy over practicality.

Even if you overlook this glaring omission as a handful have on this thread - and to be clear, I'm not judging, everyone has different economic pressures and price points that make a product viable for them - It's been designed with the tap end facing up which lets yeast drop into it.

There are too many compromises and poorly thought out/poorly executed components for me to consider buying one of these. I'm keen to see what KL bring to the table with their new second gen fermentasaurus. The first gen has too many issues for me (especially with hop matter clogging the dump valve), so until the second gen is a proven design, I'll stick with my trusty old HDPE fermenter.

For me it's a shame that KK have tried to win the mind of home brewers based on price alone, rather than being innovative and coming up with clever design solutions to the products that are already on the market. Hopefully they'll read comments like these (are you taking note WEAL?) and lift their design/innovation game. It would be a real win for the home brewing community (as well as KK) if they do.
I am a new member here and i cannot believe the bitching and sniping that goes on here but i am learning as we go and I bought a KK snub nose fermenter as its oxygen free and i dont need to keep the yeast ,yeast is cheap and i can rack off into a keg there is no price point for me but i like the simple design ,HAPPY BREWING

The snub nose fermentasaurus is not a new design it is just a fermentasaurus with out the hole drilled in it for the dump valve so anyone wanting the fermentasaurus with the full monty can pick these up cheaper and just drill the hole in the base.
You say it has been designed with the tap facing up, that is how all conical fermenters are designed, that is one of the reasons they have a racking arm.
As I said this suits me, when I transfer to the fermenter I manage to keep just about all the break material and hop matter out, what I am left with in the cone is practically all yeast, drawing the beer off the yeast is not unusual that is how most of the craft brewers do it. After the beer is drawn of 3 things I can do, tip another load of wort on top of the yeast, save and wash the yeast, or just dump it. But the best thing is it fits easily into a fridge for cold crashing. Nobody is twisting anyone's arm to go out and buy the snub nose it is just another alternative.

Thanks for the response WEAL. I’m not harvesting yeast and don’t intend on it in the short term. I’m going to be kegging so I think this will suit my brewing process.

Only thing I will need to manage is dry hopping. Maybe I’ll purge the co2, drop the hops in and then replenish the co2 once I’m done. That way I can limit oxygen exposure in the process.

Thanks for the response WEAL. I’m not harvesting yeast and don’t intend on it in the short term. I’m going to be kegging so I think this will suit my brewing process.

Only thing I will need to manage is dry hopping. Maybe I’ll purge the co2, drop the hops in and then replenish the co2 once I’m done. That way I can limit oxygen exposure in the process.
If you have a look in the conical fermenter threads you'll see ways others have done the dry hopping.
I am currently fermenting in kegs and don't harvest the used yeast but rather save part of the starter for the next brew.
And at the price, I'm pretty tempted to buy one of these things too.

Hey its easy - you want a valve then buy one with valve. You don‘t need the valve then save yourself a bunch of bucks and have fun. You really want to be a party pooper by the sound of this.

Hey its easy - you want a valve then buy one with valve. You don‘t need the valve then save yourself a bunch of bucks and have fun. You really want to be a party pooper by the sound of this.
I'm yet to see the point of a conical without a dump valve. If you want to save some bucks, use a bucket, or, better still a HDPE fermenter. I'm not trying to be a party pooper, I want the party to be bigger and better, not cheaper and nastier.

The snub nose fermentasaurus is not a new design it is just a fermentasaurus with out the hole drilled in it for the dump valve so anyone wanting the fermentasaurus with the full monty can pick these up cheaper and just drill the hole in the base.
That's exactly my point. Rather than just cutting corners and reducing costs, why don't you guys at KK invest in some R&D and make better products, not just cheaper products? KL are ar least trying to do that with a few products and for the sake of the homebrew community it would be good to see you trying to outdo them. Again, I stress I get there is a need for cheap products - I completely get that - but please don't make that the sole focus of your business. Not every home brewer is looking for the cheapest, dirtiest product out there.

I take on board all of your other comments and you're right. Re your last sentence, the snub nose is another alternative, but it's a compromised and inferior alternative. It would be nice to see you guys produce something that is the best value for money, instead of just being the cheapest. Why not focus on beating KL to a conical with a dump valve that actually works, instead of cutting the dump valve out? Or take that same philosophy to another product? That way, you guys will be genuinely making the lives of home brewers better and I'm sure at heart, that's what you want to do.

To make my position 100% clear, I'm not affilated with KL, nor am I a fanboy. Like many oher brewers here, I focus on making the best beer I can. Not making the cheapest beer possible. Rarely is the cheapest gear in the market going to help me achieve that. I don't have a fat wallet to throw at the hobby, so Blichmann and the like are out of my price range. There has to be a middle ground - a manufacturer that innovates but doesn't charge an arm and a leg. As an impartial observer I see KL running rings around KK. KL are regularly putting out videos showing new and innovative products. They're copping heaps of flack for it when they fall short of releasing a product by a certain date, but at least they're having a crack at being innovative. For me, that's what's made and continues to make Australia great - innovation and nous. Please, please, please KK - keep the bastards honest and push them with some innovation from your own R&D team.

I'm yet to see the point of a conical without a dump valve. If you want to save some bucks, use a bucket, or, better still a HDPE fermenter. I'm not trying to be a party pooper, I want the party to be bigger and better, not cheaper and nastier.

That's exactly my point. Rather than just cutting corners and reducing costs, why don't you guys at KK invest in some R&D and make better products, not just cheaper products? KL are ar least trying to do that with a few products and for the sake of the homebrew community it would be good to see you trying to outdo them. Again, I stress I get there is a need for cheap products - I completely get that - but please don't make that the sole focus of your business. Not every home brewer is looking for the cheapest, dirtiest product out there.

I take on board all of your other comments and you're right. Re your last sentence, the snub nose is another alternative, but it's a compromised and inferior alternative. It would be nice to see you guys produce something that is the best value for money, instead of just being the cheapest. Why not focus on beating KL to a conical with a dump valve that actually works, instead of cutting the dump valve out? Or take that same philosophy to another product? That way, you guys will be genuinely making the lives of home brewers better and I'm sure at heart, that's what you want to do.

To make my position 100% clear, I'm not affilated with KL, nor am I a fanboy. Like many oher brewers here, I focus on making the best beer I can. Not making the cheapest beer possible. Rarely is the cheapest gear in the market going to help me achieve that. I don't have a fat wallet to throw at the hobby, so Blichmann and the like are out of my price range. There has to be a middle ground - a manufacturer that innovates but doesn't charge an arm and a leg. As an impartial observer I see KL running rings around KK. KL are regularly putting out videos showing new and innovative products. They're copping heaps of flack for it when they fall short of releasing a product by a certain date, but at least they're having a crack at being innovative. For me, that's what's made and continues to make Australia great - innovation and nous. Please, please, please KK - keep the bastards honest and push them with some innovation from your own R&D team.
Jeez mate if you spent the energy you used on this rant brewing then you might have some really great beer to drink. Who gives a shyte when you can get a vessel that works for that price where it comes from? Sound like you really need to drink a good beer to quell that burning thirst to lash out at KK whilst pretending not to. Less rant and more brewing needed here. Go get yourself a snub nose and have some fun.

Not just about being cheap it is also about standing up for your when a consumer has a genuine complaint. This is about the kegerator bought from Keg Land which was posted elsewhere. The post above it wasn't much better either. Highly illegal attitude by Keg Land.

Mine is from KL. Worked well first 6 months then same issues as above. Won't get to temp, takes ages and ages to get even near temp (upwards of a week) and has to be defrosted every 2-3 weeks ATM. This is after a tap failed (room covered in a keg of beer) that they insinuated was my fault (pigs arse) and a temp controller that keeps failing. PITA to deal with and won't ever accept their product is shite. Currently in a situation that if I want it fixed I have to pack it up (damage is my risk), send it back (they graciously pay for this), wait for them to 'test' it and when (given past efforts) they determine there is nothing wrong I have to pay to get it back. FFS. They won't use local repairers I guess because of the risk the locals will say "mate, this is a pile of shit". I'm going to put up with it as long as possible while I organise a keezer build. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THESE GUYS IT'S NOT WORTH IT. That includes lines etc etc. You WILL regret it. Rant over.

Anyhow back on topic where else can you get a pressure fermenter where you can watch the yeast in action for $70

Back