Kits @ Lhbs Past Expiry Date

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archimedes24

Reaction score
So, I rock up to the LHBS for some bits and pieces for my next brew. Bloke behind the counter is very patient, we chat for a good 20 minutes or so.

I start poking around the shelves and shelves of extract kits (drool...I never knew there were so many!) and notice a big Sale sign. You beauty! :super:

Only problem is, I start to notice that almost everything on the shelf is expired. Now look, I'm not bagging the HBS. They've got to move this stuff...I understand the economics of the situation. And clearly, it doesn't turn to POISON at the stroke of midnight on the date on the bottom of the can... Everything I read though, says this is a key to making a good brew. :huh:

Question is though, do I roll the dice by buying an extract kit to save a few bucks (knowing how much time I'm going to put into this to make a beer) when this stuff is probably pushing 1-2 years old? Worst case I saw was 4 months. Most of it was only a month or less.

Anyone had any experience with this? Used a kit past expiry and had unfavorable results?

Thanks,
A

Generally - i have found that the older it is - the daarker it gets.

But i have made good beer from Out Of Date kits.

Hope this helps

My opinion, dont touch them. One of the controls on Maillard reactions is the amount of water present, and they go faster with less water. It turns out that extract in a can has just the right amount of water for the reactions to occur most rapidly. So there is stuff going on in the can making the extract darker, and other stuff going on that will impact flavour. Fresher is much better.

I'd tend to darker ales..More flavour to cover up the chance of getting that stale soapy taste..

A,

If given the choice, I wouldn't be buying out of date kits to save a few dollars - a false economy in my book against the risks - But yes I have made excellent kit beer from out of date stock that was given to me...

Second what Weiz says... There's always other uses for a dead-horse.

Warren -

Thanks all,

As I tend to shy away from the darker beers, I think I'll just stick to fresh ingredients for my pale ales and lagers...

If I ever step up to yeast starters I'll keep the advice in mind. Right now I'm doing A-okay w/ my fresh Safale S-04...."Pitch and Go!" I haven't quite grasped all that's necessary for yeast. (But I keep learning...)

Many thanks for everyone's input...

A

Back