Kitesurfing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoney

Reaction score
So I've fairly recently taken up a new hobby, and that's kitesurfing.

For those who dont know what it is, you basically fly a big kite ranging from 6 - 17 meters in area depending on the wind speed. The stronger the wind, the smaller kite you need, and you have it pull you along the water while you ride a board. You can go in relatively flat waters like bays and lakes or out in the open ocean and deal with big waves. You can do massive jumps and tricks like wakeboarders do, or you can just plod along going from A to B yelling "Woohooo" and still have the time of your life.

A little bit like this:

5614328.jpg

I for one, am getting right into the sport, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone between the ages of 16 and 70 who love action water sports... This is the kite I own and use every weekend: & .

I used to be into surfing (well, still am), but this is just a whole new level of awesome that blows surfing out of the water in my opinion. Rather than spending 95% of your time bobbing around behind the breakers waiting for that wave, you spend 95% of your time on the board having a ball!

So im wondering, are there any AHB'ers into it as well as me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, It's my second obsession as well as brewing of course. Although arrival of a child has curtailed my ability to get down when the wind is on.

It's heaps of fun no doubt, getting more crowded every year.

Where are you? Flat water, waves?

Edit: just read your post properly, waves then. You on a twin tip or surfboard?

Hey David!

Nah, I'm still learning / practising on relatively flat water with a twin tip. I go in Botany Bay in Sydney which is probably a bit smaller than Port Philip bay so all I deal with is chop. I've only been out once on waves borrowing a friends surfboard and..... didnt have much success, :lol: I ploughed straight into the side of waves rather than go over them. Anyway, I reckon after this summer of going out and building up my skills / confidence I should be right. :)

How long have you been doing it?

Started in 2007. I was living in Port Macquarie at the time and learnt on a twin tip in the waves. Which in hindsight was prob the most difficult way to learn.

I live in Melbourne so use a twin tip on the bay which is most of my kiting. My parents live in Port Macquarie so when I go home I use a surfboard in the waves. So best of both worlds really.

I like the twin tip because I can change directions at ease. On the surfboard I have not mastered jibing (switching feet around while turning) which means I have to stop, turn the board to get back. Usually half a mile out to sea. I'd rather not let the sharkies have too long a chance to have a nibble

Riding in the waves is much harder. To get over a wave you have to slow down and get the kite to 10o'clock to lift you over the wave. Which gets easier as your kite control improves.

Chop is a *******, I rarely ride at St Kilda these days because you are constantly fighting the chop. You have to dig in an edge and keep the power on.

Anyway it gets easier, If you are able to tack upwind then you will be laughing. The walk of shame is hell.

Do you know of this site, it's the AHB of kitesurfing.

I go in Botany Bay in Sydney which is probably a bit smaller than Port Philip bay

Botany Bay would fit into Corio Bay probably twice - corio bay is the very "nose" of the horses head that is Port Phillip bay - Botany Bay would fit in Port Phillip Bay more than 10 times.
FWIW Botany bay would fit into Lake Eildon several times over.

I've always been keen on giving kite surfing a go. But my balance sucks. I've flown stunt kites since I was about 10 and played with 4mtr power sails that will lift you off the ground. Also looked at getting a trike to ride behind a power sail. Not quite as cool as kite surfing but still loads of fun.

Canberra doesnt count - what is it 2.5 hours to your nearest beach?

I'm not into anything on the sea, although I like to look at it. However one thing I have always wondered, has it finally been decided by referendum or whatever what the actual name of a certain device is?

Sailboard
Wind Surfer

???

Is there actually a difference or is it a VHS / Beta thing?

Yep learnt to Kitesurfing in 2007, live on the central coast lots of kites up here,
Don't get as much time these days.
Not a real family friendly sport, wife and kids get over it pretty quick sitting on the beach getting sandblasted :lol:

Bribie your on a differnt tram

Squamish%2006%20GLH0026.JPG

Wind sailing aka wind surfing or sail boarding.
kitesurfing.jpg

Kite surfing

Botany Bay would fit into Corio Bay probably twice - corio bay is the very "nose" of the horses head that is Port Phillip bay - Botany Bay would fit in Port Phillip Bay more than 10 times.
FWIW Botany bay would fit into Lake Eildon several times over.

I've always been keen on giving kite surfing a go. But my balance sucks. I've flown stunt kites since I was about 10 and played with 4mtr power sails that will lift you off the ground. Also looked at getting a trike to ride behind a power sail. Not quite as cool as kite surfing but still loads of fun.

Ahh! I stand corrected. Havent actually been to Port Philip bay proper for years...

On balance - Last weekend I went to a cables wakeboard park (out at Penrith), which is basically two small lakes with towers around the perimeter, all connected by cables which move on pulley systems. Then there's ski ropes which dangle down that pull you along. Anyway, took my twin tip on that and I think I learnt more about balancing on the board & edging in 1 hour than I have in half a doz weekends kitesurfing. Looking forward to getting back on the kite this sat!

Trike kiting is pretty cool, I've had a go of it. I reckon if I lived closeby to a very long sweeping beach I would buy one, but I'm not too keen to fork out $800+ for a thing that I'd rarely ever get the chance to use. (I already have enough crap like that in the shed :lol: )

Bribie; Apparently Old Bar is one of the best kitesurfing locations in NSW, you should be able to see folks down on the water any windy weekend.

Bribie; Apparently Old Bar is one of the best kitesurfing locations in NSW, you should be able to see folks down on the water any windy weekend.

Just follow the dirt track down between the runway and the camping area, till you come to the lake. :rolleyes:

Back