Kit Yeast Replacement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm going to repeat my very first brew which is a Mangrove Jack's International Czech Pilsener, I really like this one even straight from the tin using a beer enhancer. I was going to hop it up and use DME and some crystal but will keep this one simple as I don't really think it needs too much tinkering - maybe next time.

One thing I might want to change is the yeast, although the kit yeast work fine last time. I don't want lager yeast as I don't have the temperature control to keep it at a low temp just yet, and I want a fairly quick turnaround for the upcoming spring/summer barbies. Just want to replace the ale yeast that comes in the tin.

What is a pretty good replacement? My options are:

Danstar Nottingham
Danstar Windsor
Safale S04
Safale US05
Safbrew S33
Safbrew T58

EDIT: Ok, done some more Googling and it seems to have narrowed down to Safale S04, Safale US05. Will either one do the trick?

S04 is a UK style yeast, and probably not suited to fermenting a Pils, because of the yeast driven characters it will give your beer.

I'd opt for the US05, it will give you the cleanest result.

I'd opt for the US05, it will give you the cleanest result.

Thanks mate, went with the US05. Probably didn't really need it but what the hell...it's only a few extra $$$

Back