Kit with no kilo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panzerd18

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a kit with no kilo? I'm looking to brew a very light beer for health reasons.

Other than having a low OG and thin mouth feel is there any other problems associated with this?

The kit tin will have the hop added at manufacture to suit the gravity that will be achieved by adding a kilo of sugar / malt etc.

If you dont add the fermentable to raise the gravity then the BU : GU ratio will be a bit off.

My experience with the tin of hopped goo is that they lack hop in most cases, so I would give it a try and see how it goes.

And you are right, it will be a thin, actually very thin beer.

Use something like an Australian Pale Ale kit rather than an English Bitter Should give a reasonable IBU (18) in 23 litres. Kit alone should produce about a 2.5% alc beer if bottled, slightly less in kegs.

Then you could start experimenting by adding Maltodextrin which should help with body, mouth feel and head retention.

Yep, done this for a while - kept the doctor happy (am a lost soul now as now into all-grain)
As ianH said Maltodextrin is the go to improve the result - I found around 150 - 200gr made a big difference
Some finishing hops helps as well

Mate of mine used to do it all the time.The whole family drank light.
He liked it ok but I never tried it

Thanks all. I will definitely add some Maltodextrin. Thanks for the input. I like the taste of beer as i find it refreshing but don't care as much for the alcohol, as I find it clouds my mind and lowers my performance.

I've done this a few times for a light beer, using the coopers Mexican Cerveza can. It makes an acceptable drink if your expectations are in the right place. As others have said, add some maltodextrin and finishing hops and it should serve the purpose.

After putting this together, Coopers Original Lager, 500 grams Maltodextrin, two packets of W34/70. Overshot and managed to fill to 24 litres instead of 23 litres.

I have to say after sampling the hydrometer reading of 1.030, the sample tasted more of water than malt.

I think I'm going to have to add at least 500 grams of light malt extract, otherwise I fear I may have slightly bitter water as my end product.

A few questions, why did you use 2 packs of larger yeast and are you using something to control the temperature?

I wouldn't worry to much about it being not malty enough this time, the yeast will change the profile. I would use a bit less maltodextrin and more malt next time or do a partial with some wheat malt instead.
Your pretty keen putting that much yeast in as those dosing rates for a much bigger beers than a light, hate to see ya waste dollars when you don't have to.

Do you think 11.5 grams for a low gravity beer would be ok and not produce any off flavours?

I added 500 grams of light dry malt and the wort is tasting a lot better.

Really looking forward to this one, although not as low in alcohol as I had hoped.

I have some hallertau hops I am going to make a hop tea and add.

panzerd18 said:
Has anyone tried a kit with no kilo? I'm looking to brew a very light beer for health reasons.

Other than having a low OG and thin mouth feel is there any other problems associated with this?
What are the health reasons if you don't mind? abv, carbs, sugars?

Mainly alcohol. Too much and it makes me feel poor and lowers my mental performance.

Back