Kit Reviews Website

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Thought I would have a quick go at a simple kit review website where brewers can go and review the different types of homebrew kits.

Below you will find a link to the basic website that I am working on, basically it is there to help people decide (esp newbies) what kinda kit they might want to try next.

You can rate and review each kit.

Let me know your thoughts.. :)

LINK: Homebrew Kit Reviews

Thanks for the support flanbos, I kinda thought if we can get the reviews up it will help out the newbies just as it would have helped me when I started brewing.

Like it slugger, great idea, any help given to newbies is ok with me as I didnt get much help until I got onto sites like this. My first kits were lagers sold to me by my local HB shop in the middle of summer with no mention of temp control.
Good luck.

Hi Slugger,
Not a bad idea.
Some kits leave a lot to be desired as far as I am concerned.

It might be good to add a section with adjuncts/modifications to improve the kit.

I know there is a lot of brewers that only brew for the cost saving, but if you look at the overall increase in cost of things like the use of liquid yeasts, malt or steeped grain adjuncts then the taste improvement far outways the cost IMO.
Anyway, good luck with the project.

Cheers

You should have the capabilty to put a Pic of the Brew in a nice cold glass!!!

Will see how the site goes before adding new features to review. Wanted to keep it simple but if the users numbers gets up then I will re-consider things..

Thanks for all the comments !

Well done SD.

I agree with dicko that a section for adjuncts/mods to improve kits is a great idea.
Also understand that it's easy for us to say !!!! Once you start these things they can quickly become a major project.
Anyway my 2cents and good luck with it.
I will make sure I add my comments as often as possible.

Cheers

if you do a review of a kit just mention how you brewed it and what you used.

Bobby is right.

Homebrewers techniques vary widely and these have more effect on the flavour than the slight differences between the different kits on the market.

Yeah it is a good idea however the work involved is very high, might try something simpler for now and build on it later.

Thanks for the comments and support!

** UPDATE **

I have registered a domain name and moved the server over for this, you can now find the site at:

www.hbkitreviews.com

Already over 150 different kits and 80+ reviews in 3 days - Thankyou

:D

Now I have got the kit reviews site up and running I was thinking of making another maybe Hb yeast reviews or something else.

Would this be of any use to brewers esp AG and extract brewers who have no interest in the kit reviews?

If not I won't bother but if it would then let me know or any other topic that might come in handy (yeah ok... I'm bored but hey... :D)

An awesome site that I have added straight to my "favorites".

Thanks SD, now I will spend even more time staring at this screen each day.

It would be good to learn of the tricks and variations that brewers have tried and succeeded with. Tipping the manufacturers such as coopers would be interested in this little project. Could be worth a few bob for you.

well done.

awesome, will be looking there more, top site!...

some things to try..

"I split the batch into 2. I carbonated one with normal Coopers Carbonation Drops and the other I used Black Jelly Beans..."

Hey All,

Now that I have the homebrew kit reviews site up and running I thought I should do a yeast one as well, this way it can be some help to all brewers (kit, extract, AG etc)

Site is in same format except for different yeasts

SITE: http://yeast.hbkitreviews.com

Hope it can help!

Cheers
SD :D

<_< So what happened here? Can't find any reviews!

Yes this site did die about a year ago now, the domain expired and I got lazy / lost interest however I am rebuilding it at the moment, I couldn't get the original domain back so I have a new domain registered and a fresh new look (I've totally re-coded the site to avoid the spam issues I was having near the end).

All of the existing reviews are still on the new site and I have updated the functionality so it's quicker and easier to find and rate kits (using where possible social media logins and registration to speed things up).

I'm Just in the final testing stages now, anyone who is interested in helping me test (by adding reviews) before we go live please send me a quick PM and I'll pass on the details (Looking to get some new reviews onto the site before launch).

Thanks

Back