Kit newb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Howdy,

Long time beer drinker and so on. Did a fair number of brew on premises type brews with mates. One by one they lost interest and we gave it away.

Recently a lot of people around started talking about home brewing. I was hearing it everywhere. Not having any gear the logical place to start seemed like the coopers beer kit. I grabbed one and made a fairly passable lager first time out. I managed to control the ferment temps fairly well, conditions were on my side and the result was acceptable. Ale yeast, steady ferment at 21C. not using a fridge or anything like that yet.

I can be as patient as needs be when it comes to producing something, from the garden etc so waiting for beer to brew is ok by me.

Started a second kit and that fermented ok. I got some other yeast - SO-4?? from the LHBS and some different fermentables than the coopers brand. I was looking for more malt but probably ended up with the saame you would get in one of the coopers boxes. Temps here in Perth since bottling 9 days ago have been hard to manage ~ 40C so it will be interesting to see how this second batch goes. I'll sample some at the 2 week mark.

So that is the start. I like the process of brewing, the waiting and the enjoyment of something I helped make. Lets face it, the yeast and coopers put some effort in as well.

I will try a few more of these kits but also keen to move towards AG. I'll play with doing K+K & some additions for SandG's and start putting together some AG kit. I'm working on a mash tun from a cooler I have handy. Need a good sized pot and we can have a crack.

also looking to get a 200L fridge for controlling ferment temps. I prefer lagers and the like, Pilsner is #1 style. Pale ales but not IPA's. Bitter ales are also good.

Anyway greetings. I have a fair bit of info to read. Many many ideas to choose from. all good.

Mate, as I have recently discovered All Grain and stuffing around, making up your own recipes and seeing how they turn out invariably tastes a whole lot better and is loads of fun.

Cheers for that. I'm working towards some grain brewing. I'll do a few more kits and see how they go/taste etc and go from there. I'm collecting gear fro grain brewing as I go. Probably BIAB I think.

For now the kits will do. I'll mess with them a bit once I know what the base is like.

Got a brew lined up for tonight. Will be a can of draft. All they had that was of interest at the time. The Candian blonde I did has just over 3 weeks in the bottle and is getting there. Bit slow to bottle ferment but thats ok. I am ok waiting and the signs are good so far.

Keen to build up stocks so I can give away buying store bought.

Latest posts

Back