Kit + malt. correct proccess?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birusuki

Reaction score
Need some input with how to go about my next brew.

I have
one can Morgans golden sheaf wheat , kit
one can Morgans master malt wheat
wb-06 wheat yeast.
one small bag of irish moss.
15 gm of pellet hopps.

I also am thinking about adding dried orange peel to the boil for 10min.
and maybe a little corriander. I read they are good additions. Although I have not had much
exposure to wheat beer, just thought I`d try something different.
Anyway my main concern with the proccess is this, as I understand it kits come pre-hopped and boiled, and already have some bittering, yeah.

So would I only do a boil with the master malt extract until the break and then add my hopps and orange.
The hopps are not for bittering just for aroma.

Or would I boil the malt extract together with the kit? I would have thought being pre-boiled I might ruin the flavour/ aroma
of the kit?
I also read somewhere to just add the kit for the final 5 or 10 mins?

This is how I planned it.

Boil extract in about 5-6lt of water until break
Add coriander seed (15mins) this should be crushed or whole?
Add hopps + kit + orange peel + Irish moss for 10mins
Add to fermenter and top up to 19 or 23lts.
pitch yeast.

I also have 200gm of light crystal malts and some brew enhancer, would this type of brew benefit from it at all?
I wasn`t planning on adding them.
For a light, thirst quenching summer beer 23lts would be better?
Would there be much difference in taste 19lts/ 23lts?

Any input would be great.

OK so you are doing a Wheat beer. They should have very low bitterness (10-15IBU) and very little hop flavour. So you really dont need a boil at all. I
f you want to add some coriander and orange peel then boil a couple of litres of water, add maybe 200g of the unhopped malt and boil for 5minutes with the orange and coriander.

Neither tins require any boiling at all. Pour them into the fermenter with the boiled water- add a bit more if you need to dissolve all the malt.
Top up with cold water and pitch re-hydrated yeast when below 22C. With that yeast, I find it phenolic (clove flavours) so would ferment at 22C to try and limit phenolics and bring out esters (banana flavour).

You dont need irish moss- this is really only required for all grain or partial brews.

It you go 23L add the brew enhancer to get the gravity up a little. Crystal malts don't belong in a wheat beer so leave them out.

For a start, the malt extract and kit are boiled at the factory so they don't contain any materials that are going to form a break.
Then they get boiled a second time, under vacuum, to concentrate them. So boiling them a third time is a waste of time.

I've never boiled a kit, just either stir well in the fermenter as you add water, as per DB's suggestion, or probably easier to handle, dilute the extracts with hot water in a stockpot or large pan such as a pressure cooker bottom till they get a bit runny and tip that into the FV.

The idea of those little "teabags" of finishing hops is to add into the fermenter a couple of days into the process, but not boil them. You could certainly simmer the peel and coriander in a small pan to extract some flavours. I'd bruise the coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle.

Going for 23L will make the beer more "sessionable" if that's what you are looking for, otherwise 19L will be a bit more tasty and stronger in alcohol.

Thanks guys,

I had no idea, I thought the master malt kits were designed for extract brewing with a boil, add your own hops etc.
I will go ahead with your advice, no boil except for a bit of orange/ corriander. and dry hop the hops. Sounds too easy.
This might sound like a stupid question....I couldn`t find any corriander seeds that are ment for cooking. But they have them at the garden center.
I am guessing they are no different.

Lastly as mentioned above, those kits dont need a boil, so that means this recipe is k&k.
When is a boil required? when used with dry malts, and multiply hop additions. Sorry for the noob quetions.

Thanks.

Wouldn't use seed from the garden centre, it's likely treated with fungicide. Try again and harder, coriander is fairly well ubiquitous, many supermarkets have it in the spices section.

never thought of that glad I asked.
Might have to leave it out. checked the supermarkets. I live in the boon docks in Japan.
could order online. But I want to get it in and going. orange peel it is.

Latest posts

Back