Kit/Extract SMASH

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobSnoo

Reaction score
Has anyone done one of these. I'm thinking of putting something together with 2 x single variety unhopped tin. Opinions of a good all round hop? I'll have to wait until I get home to play with the figures but I'm hoping to find a really simple beer with basic flavours but done perfectly.....the holy grail [emoji849][emoji23]

I wouldn't mind giving an extract smash a crack...
Thoughts on this Mick?
20190210_093417.jpeg

Oldy but a goody, best beer I’ve made. I’m either doing this again or a S&W extract today [emoji1303]
IMG_6533.JPG

Sounds real good! I'll add it on my list! Post up a pic of it in the glass when its done.

I like that colour Arch. Technically not a SMASH but swap out the Centennial for some nore Amarillo and you're on the money. Let me know how it tastes after it carbs up!!!

[emoji23] Just looked up the definition of “SMASH”...don’t mind me, I’ve been out of the game a while! Search “Neill” (the guy who put the above recipe together) he’s been doing “Smash” and posting about it for over 10 years [emoji1303]

Putting this down next week....

SMASH Chinook
3kg Dark DME
10g Chinook @ 60, 30, 20, 10, 0

Estimated OG 1.049 FG 1.012 ABV 5.2% in the bottle

I'll be using a 6 litre boil with about 800g or so of the DDME so the gravity in the boil matches the OG. At flameout I'll be throwing in 3 litres of room temperarure water and the 0 min hops to reduce the temp to around 80 degrees. Read it somewhere so going to try it.

Looking forward to this experiment.

OK so share:
What the heck is SMASH?
Single malt and single hop. It's better done in in all grain brewing - using one type of grain, say pilsner malt, and one hop for bittering, arima and flavour. Its a great way to learn what each malt does (change the malt, same hops), or vice versa to see what the hops do.

It's not really the same with kit and kilo using LDME but I'm just having a play around. If this turns out ok next time I might try 2 unhopped tins of malt extract (maybe wheat?) and a different hop.

I once did a SMASH with pilsner malt and saaz, pitched a farmhouse yeast and still have fond memories of that beer.

I am curious as the make up of dme and ldme now

Mmmmmm [emoji2]. This might be the hops on the next one. How do you think its go with 2 tins of wheat goo. Change it up with a bavarian wheat yeast?
cant say I've ever tried a Mosaic wheat . so not sure on that

Back