Kit Brew Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh? I'm not advising people brew at tropical temperatures, I'm advising that it's not the end of the world. To be honest I'm not sure what you are saying? That I'm wrong or misguiding people?

I'm not sure how anybody can say I'm wrong about my opinion of my beer. I make it, I drink it, I enjoy it. So I argue against the idea that beer made at warm temperatures will turn out undrinkable. I'm sure some styles and some kits might be ruined by the heat, but the question was specific to Coopers kits, which as I mentioned, I make at warm temperatures all the time and enjoy all the time. I'm sure many maybe most members of the forum know more about brewing and more about beer than I do, but I do know my way around a decent bottle of beer and feel qualified to make an evaluation.

If the question was, "Will ale fermented at a perfect 18C be superior to beer fermented in a Darwin flat?", I would say "Yes, absolutely". However, the question was, "Have I ruined my Coopers ale kit at 26C?" and my answer from my experience brewing dozens of Coopers ale kits in a warm climate (with 44 litres more currently fermenting!) is "No".

Juuust saying. :ph34r:

And this is just entering ********* territory. Try to give some advice from personal experience and get an earful for it because my opinion is different to yours.

Dozens = 10?

The most common problem encountered with new brewers is that they followed the advice on the can (ferment up to 28 degrees) and got fruity tasting beer.

You may find your beer drinkable, having brewed it at 26-30 degrees but it is incorrect to assume that conditioning for 2 weeks will clean up the fusels and esters created at such temps and it is simply bad advice. Maybe you like your beer? Fine. I can't take that away from you and I have no wish to. You don't have a whole lot of brewing experience however to be able to say definitively - yes this is fine. That's not an insult but you can't pretend to be an expert in beer tasting or brewing when you've made around 10 kits at 30 degrees and don't think they are ruined.

'Ruined' is a very subjective concept by the way. Can drink it = not ruined.

Temperature control is to me (and most brewers the world over), integral to making good beer. How you control that is irrelevant - as previously stated, I use a water bath for mine and have very good reason to know that that is as good for the end result as using a fridge. However not controlling at any point (yeast/beer dependent as specified) IS from my experience and knowledge and the experience and knowledge of many people throughout history and the world: the single, worst thing you can do for your beer besides shitting in it and your advice/suggestion that it is fine because you say so is not far off the equivalent in terms of advice.

Sorry but you're out on a limb with this one. I appreciate people's experience at least as much as their reading knowledge but my appreciation is based on how much experience they actually have. 10 kits brewed hot doesn't cut it for me.

I'm confident he's using it in the "pushing shit uphill" sense and I +1 that but I hope your motivation of helping other brewers with your post pays dividends.

OK. Yes I hope people reading learn something.

Winning internet arguments is irrelevant to my life.

You don't have a whole lot of brewing experience however to be able to say definitively - yes this is fine. That's not an insult but you can't pretend to be an expert in beer tasting or brewing when you've made around 10 kits at 30 degrees and don't think they are ruined.

I don't want to go on about this all night. Obviously, I've started some kind of chain reaction here. I'm not pissed off or offended. I did not mean to state anything other than my own personal experience. I know I'm not an expert, I even specifically stated the number of trial beers I've made recently so readers knew how extensive my taste testing was. Again, the question was, "Is my beer ruined?". I do not think it would be. That's all.

Temperature control is to me (and most brewers the world over), integral to making good beer.

I did not disagree with this anywhere, nor did I state anywhere that brewers should disregard temperature control. I know temperature control is absolutely important. If I had the money/time/space/etc to set up a fermenting fridge (or whatever else) I would do it tomorrow.

OP if you're still following along, I hope that my comment did not come off as "**** temperature control!", because it's not what I meant to say.

At least Fasty had aircon :)

PS: no one mentioned on this one yet but freezing a bottle of water, put it in the water bath you put the fermenter in. Will help keep it a lot cooler. Once a day change. Twice if you could spare the thought.

I have no major wish to be antagonistic. It's mildly boring on the internet when we can't punch each other or shag each others' girlfriends out of spite.

therefore - relax on the defensiveness and consider this:

A new brewer (either the OP or a brewer reading and not posting) sees this:

I brew Coopers kits at 28C - 30C all the time. At least ten batches recently. I think I've brewed every single one of their ale kits at least once (no lager, for obvious reasons). I've never had a bad batch, ever. I've brewed the Pale Ale many times at those temperatures. It's important to keep the brew in primary for at least a couple weeks so the yeast can eat off any byproducts.

They may, quite easily assume from that that the reason their beer is a fruity mess has nothing to do with the fact that they pitched and fermented at 28.

You have added qualifiers and they help me understand your perspective but not everyone, especially not noobs, will see and recognise that.

A person who has made exactly one brew might simply read your statement as '30 degrees is fine. I make beer at 30, it all tastes great' then wonder why theirs doesn't.

I have no wish to make you feel small nor suggest that you shouldn't make a contribution but please consider the intention of my post and please consider how your posts may be read by new brewers. People take shit they read here for gospel (**** knows why) so you need to take some responsibility over what you write. You may get it wrong - I have/do often but try as best as you can and when someone suggests you are off the mark, at least consider what they are saying.

Beer may not be chuckable at 28, (style dependent as mentioned) but neither is a burnt sausage chuckable, (taste dependent). Wouldn't suggest to someone wanting to cook a good sausage that burning it works out A-OK.

Yeast will not eat the results of a hot ferment by the way. That's not opinion.

I will be more careful with posting in the future. I guess I assumed my low forum rank would make it clear that I'm not an professional brewer or expert or something. Dunno. I put stuff in things and get beer. I don't hate it. I quite enjoy it, actually. Maybe I have a fucked up palette? Who knows.

I put stuff in things and get beer.
Ah, the miracle of life!

I'll take back the "fuckwit" stuff and apologise for it, mate, but the 30C thing way beyond reasonable. It is absolutely indefensible with lid yeast.

I will be more careful with posting in the future. I guess I assumed my low forum rank would make it clear that I'm not an professional brewer or expert or something. Dunno. I put stuff in things and get beer. I don't hate it. I quite enjoy it, actually. Maybe I have a fucked up palette? Who knows.

other people with your level of experience or less will assume you KNOW the answers if you don't make it clearer. Nothing wrong with being clear. Don't take it as an insult (unless you are sensitive in which case get fucked).

Not saying don't post - just consider what you post and how it may be read by others of varying levels of experience.

And try and get your beer cooler. It will be the best thing you could have done..

I managed to get the temp down to 20 overnight on concrete floor and wet towels.
Cheers for all the tips

As far as I'm aware, wort needs to contain organic acids in order for esters to form.

Latest posts

Back