Kit beer for yeast starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallBrew

Reaction score
Guys, bit of advice if you will..

Getting back into brewing after a couple years off due to slackness on my behalf.

Looking to kick things off with a simple sparkling ale clone, using coopers yrast.

Obviously need a yeast starter and have a kit brew lying around that I was given and will never use so was wondering if that would work for a yeast starter?

Any advice appreciated!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I'd save the kit for when you need to build a BIG starter, like for when you want to do a lager or a big beer like ris. If you want to grow from coopers bottle yeast, you'll first need a 6er, and drink it, then first step would be around 200ml @1020 then 1L @ 1040 then 2L @ 1040 (off the top of my head for a standard batch size)

It will work since it has fermentables in it. Probably not your best option for a starter though. Kits have hops and specialty grains added to them which may or may not impact your starter yeast. If I were to go through the trouble of collecting yeast from bottles I would try and grow it on media that is as in adulterated as possible. A Kg of DME is not that expensive and will allow you to step up your starter as opposed putting a whole can of LME in all at once. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Back