Kit and Kilo online calculator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
I just figured out from a search of posts on AHS that the 530ibu listed on the cooper's website for their kit can be divided by the boil volume to determine the final IBU. Obvious? Probably but not to someone slow like me...

Now that I know that, I can calculate my IBU. I have seen online calculators that will calculate ABV, FG,OG etc but all of the calculators I've found ask for quantity of hops and won't just take an IBU value for input.

Anyone know of a calculator that I can use to do some calks on the kit and kilos? It'd be nice to play around with the numbers and see what a bit more DME or a bit more sugar or water would do to all of it...

BoB

Look for IanH's kit & extract spreadsheet. Last I remember was version 4.1. This excel spreadsheet does it all, allowing you to change weights, volumes and everything else.

I'm loving IanH's spreadsheet (it is pinned to the K&K forum).

But this is the second time I have used it with Kits and Bits concoctions and the second time I my OG has been at the very low end. The first one didn't make it to the calculated FG (second one in the fermenter last night).

Are there any known shortcomings of the spreadsheet - or a suggestion as to where I'm going wrong? Possibly not cracking grains right?

I have always found Ians spreadsheet to be quite accurate, it is possible your process is producing the shortcomings, calculate what these are and factor into your numbers.
If you are regularly coming up short allow some extra to get up to where you want to be.
FG can vary quite a bit depending on yeast health, pitching rates, aeration, etc but should provide a good guide.

cremmerson said:
I'm loving IanH's spreadsheet (it is pinned to the K&K forum).

But this is the second time I have used it with Kits and Bits concoctions and the second time I my OG has been at the very low end. The first one didn't make it to the calculated FG (second one in the fermenter last night).

Are there any known shortcomings of the spreadsheet - or a suggestion as to where I'm going wrong? Possibly not cracking grains right?
Some others have found low OG when using speciality grains. I used up to 0.9kg speciality grains with extract and did not find a problem so could be in cracking your grains (I bought milled grains).

There is very little data on steeping grains.

Anyway in version 4.1 you can change the steeping efficiency on the grains worksheet so you can get closer to the OG in find in practise.

cheers

IanH Your spreadsheet is awesome!!! I didn't originally see the drop-down menus but once I found them, holy cow! Kit, + Kit + everything else calculations!

Great stuff!

If I ever figure out how many IBUs hopped DME contributes, is there a way I can add that in manually to the DME drop dropdown menu?

BoB

Glad you found it Bob, sorry it's in funny units (metric and EBC).

I would treat hopped DME as basically the same as a kit. I don't think its on sale here in Australia.

You would need to find its IBU and EBC then add it to the KITS worksheet, you would also have to put the weight used in each recipe on the KITS worksheet otherwise it would stuff up the formula in cells C6 & C7 on the MAIN worksheet.

Oh and when you are circumnavigating Terra Australis, we are on the South Island, the other one is the North Island.

cheers

Ian

South island? Right! I hear you guys are smarter down there as well. Ya'know because two heads are better than one. :D

Beautiful though on the south island (except maybe Queenstown). When I was younger I walked the southwest coast once. Stunning scenery, top-grade mud and a bloody hard walk! Looking forward to seeing a bit more of the southwest coast the easy way (by boat instead of by foot!).

BoB

Back