Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast attenuation as I understand it is a factor in FG which is part of the BV calc. Not sure what you are trying to do, can you point me in the right direction.

cheers

Ian
Reverse that, FG is a factor of attenuation. Attenuation is determined by wort compostition, yeast strain, and yeast health, nutrition, etc etc. But in the case of FG from 2 identical worts, but with different yeasts, the average attenuation of the strain would be the determining factor in the FG calculation.

the BV calculation takes into account the FG, and the FG will vary depending on apparant attenuation (amongst other things)....so, in an example wort, if your using a low attenuator, eg 1469 with average attenuation of only 69%, compared to high attenuator, eg nottingham with 76%, it will effect the FG, which will affect the BV.

This would be a handy thing for those brewers that are using yeasts that have attenuation averages available. Obvioulsy in a kit and bit scenario, the attenuation needs to be skewed in the calculations to take into account the relative fermentability of the individual ingredients. The way I do it is by calculating the percentage of the contribution to gravity of each ingredient...the malt component is assigned the attenuation of the actual yeast, simple fermentables are assigned 92%, and unfermentables are assigned 0.

awsome spreadsheet! just wondering is there a way so you can add more specialty malts like more than 2

Ian,
Where do you find the time to do real work? :p

Cheers Mate GOLD MEDAL EFFORT!

Hey Ian you don't have time to read this forum you keep going, don't stop on our behalf!

Oh and do all that stuff Butters suggested :huh: Cheers.

Ian,
Where do you find the time to do real work? :p
Oh and do all that stuff Butters suggested :huh: Cheers.

Hi Chappo

I don't I'm retired

Got to understand the stuff Butters Suggests

cheers

Ian

awsome spreadsheet! just wondering is there a way so you can add more specialty malts like more than 2

Do you mean more LME as there are 3 specialty grain inputs.

Thought people would do 1 or 2 LME's then add the Specialty Grains to add the required flavours and odours.

If you mean LME will keep in mind.

cheers

Ian

That is the best xls I've seen in my whole life!!!
And as a kit and bits brewer, it is perfect for me.

any chance of having the malt, dextrose additions etc increase by 50g instead of 100g - no biggy but will save me having to delete the contents of the cell and typing in say .25 etc.

Cheers, Adam

Hello ian, first of all great spreadsheet.

With LME etc additions can you designate when it is added? E.g. sometimes you'll add 1.5L pre-boil and boil your hops etc, but add another 1.5L at flame out. This affects the IBU.

Cheers.

Hi Mark

What the spreadsheet is trying to do is create a Boil gravity of 1.040, this is made up of the SG from any speciality grains and then either DME or LME is added to bring the boil SG up to 1.040.

Normally one would add DME as it is easier to measure and needs to do Hot/Cold break. The spreadsheet gives an option to add either DME or LME depending on initial ingredients.

But if adding LME you would add the amount specified to bring the Boil gravity up to BG 1.040 and then add the rest to the Fermenter.

The spreadsheet then uses a %utilisation factors for the 1.040 BG and a Hop Concentration Factor because we K & E brewers tend to boil much smaller volumes than our AG counterparts. There are a number of ways to work out Hop Utilisation which give quite differening results, I feel the way the spreadsheet calculates it is more applicable to K & E brewing.

What I am trying to do is create a standard set of conditions for the Hop utilisation, so if you do it this way this time when you do it again in a couple of months it will have a similar outcome.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers

Ian

any chance of having the malt, dextrose additions etc increase by 50g instead of 100g - no biggy but will save me having to delete the contents of the cell and typing in say .25 etc.
Cheers, Adam

Thanks Adam

You have got to set an increment somewhere, so it was set at 100g for malt and dex, because of the range it needs to cover. If I set it to 50g then I would get people complaining it's not high enough because they need to hit it more to get a required amount.

You can use the spinners to get it near enough to the value required and the type in a value just to tweak it. If you type in 0.25 it will still change by 0.1.

I have more trouble with the hop weights than the malt and dex.

cheers

Ian

Do you mean more LME as there are 3 specialty grain inputs.

Thought people would do 1 or 2 LME's then add the Specialty Grains to add the required flavours and odours.

If you mean LME will keep in mind.

cheers

Ian

yer i mean the specialties, can i say just copy paste the cell somewhere else to have more or is this not possible

ps. i'm doing a real big dubbel so using lots of grains n bits :icon_drool2:

Just like to thank you ianh for putting this on the site.

I'am starting to move into extract brewing from kits and this wil help greatly.

Cheers Coops

:lol:

Thanks Butters I just squirted beer up thru my nose... YOU PAY FOPR THAT MY BUTTERY FRIEND... you'll pay!

you think his posts are bad, you should try talking to him on the phone

Just like to thank you ianh for putting this on the site.

I'am starting to move into extract brewing from kits and this will help greatly.

Cheers Coops

Don't start using it just yet as it is still in the development stage, hopefully will be close with version 3

cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back