Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

Love the spreadsheet, Just a quick question.

I think i Know the answer from searching this thread, but just want to double check.

If my Hop boil is less than 8 litres, I should use the HCF but if its 8 litres or more, I should leave it as NO.
Correct?

There is very little data for boiling hops with small volumes hence the HCF. I would not use it with an 8 litre boil volume but suggest you try and increase your boil volume to 10 litres which can easily be done in say a BigW 19 litre pot.

No worries,
Well at the moment i'm only boiling with 4 litres. So I'll use the HCF for now.

Thanks Ian

Anyone got any recipes they want to share using a Coopers Australian Pale Ale, that I can Import into the spreadsheet. This is my first time using the spreadsheet, is 4.1 the latest version?

Lewie17 said:
Also has anyone added BE2 into the spreadsheet?
BE2 (per 1KG packet) is made from
500g Dextrose
250g Maltodextrin
250g Light Dry Malt Extract

So you can just add these as separate items.

Hi all, I was gidfted the "Coopers Craft / Mr Beer" kit and I have been playing around with a few brews.

Can someone tell me the best way to input information for the "Coopers Craft / Mr Beer" kits.

All cans are designed for 8.5L batch and weigh 1.3kg, and coopers lists the cans to have the following values

Churchills Nut Brown
  • Colour : 420EBC
  • Bitterness : 500IBU
North West Pale Ale
  • Colour : 90EBC
  • Bitterness : 390IBU
Bewitched Amber Ale
  • Colour : 340EBC
  • Bitterness : 295IBU
LP IPA
  • Colour : 130EBC
  • Bitterness : 420IBU
Diablo IPA
  • Colour : 230EBC
  • Bitterness : 560IBU
Winter Dark Ale
  • Colour : 650EBC
  • Bitterness : 590IBU
I have input the EBC and IBU details into columns E and F of the spread sheet, but it looks like the calcualtions are made from columns B and C, which are "for 23L"

Any ideas?

GibboQLD said:
G'day Ian -- top work on the spreadsheet, big fan!

I made a small addition/modification I thought I'd share - added a "default batch size" column to the "KITS" tab and added a conditional reference to F6/7 & G6/7 on the "MAIN" tab (use batch size if it isn't blank, otherwise default to 23L) to enable adding the Mr Beer Craft kits sold by Coopers.

Found these numbers on a retail site and I'm not sure how correct they are, but I ran them through the calc and the colour/IBU/ABV seemed pretty right. Here they are in case anyone else is looking to run the numbers and test them:
Code:
                              EBC   IBU   Weight   Batch (L)
Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale    30    30     1.3       8.5 
Mr Beer Winter Dark Ale        60    60     1.3       8.5
Mr Beer North West Pale Ale     8    43     1.3       8.5 
Mr Beer Diablo IPA             22    70     1.3       8.5

meves said:
Hi all, I was gidfted the "Coopers Craft / Mr Beer" kit and I have been playing around with a few brews.

Can someone tell me the best way to input information for the "Coopers Craft / Mr Beer" kits.

All cans are designed for 8.5L batch and weigh 1.3kg, and coopers lists the cans to have the following values

Churchills Nut Brown

• Colour : 420EBC
  • Bitterness : 500IBU
North West Pale Ale
  • Colour : 90EBC
  • Bitterness : 390IBU
Bewitched Amber Ale
  • Colour : 340EBC
  • Bitterness : 295IBU
LP IPA
  • Colour : 130EBC
  • Bitterness : 420IBU
Diablo IPA
  • Colour : 230EBC
  • Bitterness : 560IBU
Winter Dark Ale
  • Colour : 650EBC
  • Bitterness : 590IBU
I have input the EBC and IBU details into columns E and F of the spread sheet, but it looks like the calcualtions are made from columns B and C, which are "for 23L"

Any ideas?
I believe you take the concentrated value, times it by the net weight of the tin and divide by the volume of dilution.

So for the Nut Brown the IBU at a dilution of 23L would be

500 x 1.3 ÷ 23 = 28.26IBU

Hi All,

Love using the spreadsheet and getting precise numbers on my brews.

I have been brewing a few of those Mangrove Jack's Craft pouches... I was wondering if there would be an update on the spreadsheet to include them?

Hi Chef King, I won't be updating the spreadsheet as I stop extract brewing about six years ago. However you could add the Mangrove Jack pouches to the Kits list, their website tells you the values you get in 23 litres.

ChefKing said:
Hi All,

Love using the spreadsheet and getting precise numbers on my brews.

I have been brewing a few of those Mangrove Jack's Craft pouches... I was wondering if there would be an update on the spreadsheet to include them?
As Ian has said, it's easy to add items to the spreadsheet. Just find the relevant tab. If toy want the new addition to appear in alphabetical order or the main page just insert a row in the appropriate position.

Great spreadsheet ianh. I am using some Mangrove Jack yeasts and they are not on the spreadsheet. Here is a list of all the Mangrove Jack yeasts with their attenuation percentages in case anyone is using those yeasts.

Linky

My comment in cell B1 on brew day has stopped updating. Any ideas to fix it?

Lewie17 said:
My comment in cell B1 on brew day has stopped updating. Any ideas to fix it?
The funniest thing just happened. I just selected the recipe and went Ctrl C and it updated the comment.

Thanks heaps for the speadsheet!!

Just wondering if its only my excel and the macro but when I save a recipe using a kit it doesn't save the weight in kilos.
The LME and DME and everything else works fine. If someone could let me know that would be awesome.

Thanks

Can you elaborate more on 'doesn't save the weights in kilos'?

Are you hitting the save recipe button on the main tab?

Hi frosty3 and welcome to the forum.

It been a long time since I visited the spreadsheet but I would say that's normal. The Kit weight is on the KITS worksheet so the spreadsheet should pick it up from there when you use the Get Recipe button.

cheers

Ian

Ok so I have
- Downloaded 2016 Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.2
- Opened it and enabled macros.
- Click and selected any kit
- Kit appears but no kit weight (see pics below)

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 5.25.11 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 5.25.23 pm.png

It seems not to be loading the kit weights. So just wondering if anyone else has this problem or just me.
Thanks

Back