Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only have to boil if adding hops. The boil time depends on the time selected to obtain a certain bitterness.

willbrewry said:
I'm going to start brewing a coopers Canadian blonde kit with 1kg of dry malt extract. The spreadsheet tells me to only put in some of that extract into the boil for gravity perposis. If I'm just adding dry malt extract and a can of Canadian, do I have to boil? If so for how long?

Any help would be much appreciated
Hi Willbrewry. If you are only adding the can and the 1kg of dry malt you don't need to do a boil. The boil is so you can do hops additions.You Also need to boil any wort from steeped grain, to kill any potential nasty's, but in this case would not need to add extract unless you were making hop additions.

Hope that helps

Hi,
I am trying to use the spreadsheet to work some 'half size' batches.

From what I understand a half can of kit w/ 10L of water should be equal to a full can @20L.

The spreadsheet only recognises full cans when it calculates bitterness and colour. Changing the weight of the kit only seems to change OG etc.

Is this a known issue?

Hi Zoiks

If you want to play around with half cans you need to change the data on the Kits worksheet. For Black Rock and Coopers you need to change the EBC and IBU values in columns E & F using other Kits change values in columns B & C. If doing it on a regular basis just add new lines for the half kits.

cheers

Ian

Ian thanks for the reply. I have actually just spent a few minutes making some changes that accounts for these shenanigans. Would you like me to flick them through to you on an email?

I also noticed that you had the coopers kit ibu/ebc calcs at x*1.25/23 should this be be x*1.75/23?

Coopers have added the can EBC/IBU numbers to their online store for the new range. Should be as easy as inserting new rows, copying down the formulas and changing the description / can values:
Code:
                                Can EBC    Can IBU
Coopers 86 Days Pilsner            55        490
Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale        130        560
Coopers Brew A IPA                230        830
Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter  650        590
Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale   420        500
Coopers Innkeeper's Daughter       90        610
Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat      65        340

Hi Brewers - I'm new to AHB and have been told about IanH's spreadsheet. Where is the best place to download the latest version of it and will it work on a Mac computer?

GibboQLD said:
Coopers have added the can EBC/IBU numbers to their online store for the new range. Should be as easy as inserting new rows, copying down the formulas and changing the description / can values:

Can EBC Can IBU
Coopers 86 Days Pilsner 55 490
Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale 130 560
Coopers Brew A IPA 230 830
Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter 650 590
Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale 420 500
Coopers Innkeeper's Daughter 90 610
Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat 65 340
Has anyone got a copy of the excel spread sheet with the new coopers range added?

Hi All,

I am just inputting some data for a new brew and I can not find where the tab is for BE1, BE2 & BE3?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks...

The brew enhancers are a mix of malt dextrose and maltodextrin so if you input the amount of each ingredient then you will get the desired outcome.

ChefKing said:
I am just inputting some data for a new brew and I can not find where the tab is for BE1, BE2 & BE3?
Digga said:
The brew enhancers are a mix of malt dextrose and maltodextrin so if you input the amount of each ingredient then you will get the desired outcome.
You can manually add them to the adjuncts page (after calculating EBC/Potential/Fermentability), but since there are a few niggly bugs in one or two of the formulas, your recipe's FG won't be calculated correctly.

I've been meaning to get in touch with IanH and pick his brain over correcting them in a new version (plus adding some new features), but haven't had time between kids/work/uni.

Yeah, read & understood... Shame cus I do use the range of BE now and then to smash a brew through on the quick!

ChefKing said:
Yeah, read & understood... Shame cus I do use the range of BE now and then to smash a brew through on the quick!
I'll flick you a PM a bit later to help you get them into your calc.

This spreadsheet rocks! It makes it very easy to see how close to a style I'm getting, the balance chart is my new best friend.

Is there a way to get your saved recipes to be selectable in the brews tab to auto populate some of the columns?

Once again awesome work, must of taken ages to put this together.

Enjoying using this spreadsheet. When I have a grain to, most suppliers will say the EBC rating, but how to I determine what OG to add for that grain? Cheers

Fl1pp3r said:
This spreadsheet rocks! It makes it very easy to see how close to a style I'm getting, the balance chart is my new best friend.

Is there a way to get your saved recipes to be selectable in the brews tab to auto populate some of the columns?

Once again awesome work, must of taken ages to put this together.
You can bring your saved recipes to the main tab by using the 'Get Recipe' button. Make sure to save anything on the main tab that hasn't been saved yet first by using the 'Save Recipe' button.

The brew tab represents a particular brew day that you executed a recipe, in order to auto-populate the brew tab use the 'Make Recipe' button on the main tab. Note this button will only work if all the ingredients are listed in the inventory tab, so make sure all the ingredients you have in stock are listed here.

Is this what you mean?

Back