Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to press the Save Recipe button on the Main worksheet to save a recipe. However all the recipes you have done should be on the Brews worksheet, if you look at the comments attached to the cells in Column C it gives you the recipe. You could enter this back into the Main worksheet and press the Save Recipe button to save the recipes.

G'day Ian -- top work on the spreadsheet, big fan!

I made a small addition/modification I thought I'd share - added a "default batch size" column to the "KITS" tab and added a conditional reference to F6/7 & G6/7 on the "MAIN" tab (use batch size if it isn't blank, otherwise default to 23L) to enable adding the Mr Beer Craft kits sold by Coopers.

Found these numbers on a retail site and I'm not sure how correct they are, but I ran them through the calc and the colour/IBU/ABV seemed pretty right. Here they are in case anyone else is looking to run the numbers and test them:
Code:
                              EBC   IBU   Weight   Batch (L)
Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale    30    30     1.3       8.5 
Mr Beer Winter Dark Ale        60    60     1.3       8.5
Mr Beer North West Pale Ale     8    43     1.3       8.5 
Mr Beer Diablo IPA             22    70     1.3       8.5

Dae Tripper said:
First of all thanks ianh for making this, it is awesome!

Is it possible to get another line for the LME?
Thanks. But the only way around the LME problem is to create another LME on the Malt worksheet that combines 2 of your LME's

Hi, fantastic spreadsheet.

I have been trying to get my head around the hop utilisation issue, as Ian explained it above. Yet, I don't really understand when you're meant to set HCF to yes or no? When it's below 8L?

For example, with a 6L boil volume for a 22L batch, the difference between yes and no for 160g EKG on a 60m boil is 43 vs 86 IBU. Which one would be correct? (I would be adding pale malt after the boil)

To confuse me more, the same recipe and boil volume entered into beersmith on my ipad gives me 114.7 IBU :)

Also, is it a danger sign if the malt weight to bring BG to 1.040 is a negative number (eg. I have about 2kg speciality grains steeped in that volume).

Look forward to any tips.

B

Hi bingggo, thanks, and good to see another Tassie brewer.

What I recommend is that you do minimum of 10 litre boils and don't use the HCF, get a 19 litre pot from BigW.

Without the HCF the bitterness calculation is done using Tinseth's method and is the one normally used by the vast majority of brewers. Using the HCF calculation is by Garetz's method which contains a factor for volume. The two methods give quite different results even on large volumes.

Have a read here http://realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html

2kg of speciality grain in a 22L batch is excessive, I use to do 0.8kg and some people thought that was excessive. Whilst 3L per kg of Speciality grains is a minimum I would have thought you would need more than 6 litres to steep 2 kg grain and get full extraction.

That's probably why it gives a negative value for malt to be added, SG above 1.040 lowers the IBU's.

cheers

Ian

Thanks so much for the reply. The 2kg is for a Russian imperial stout so perhaps ok :)

But I take your advice on the volume and pot!

Hi all, is there info on how to use the spreadsheet as I don't know how use them but would like to.
It looks good though.
woodie

woodie said:
Hi all, is there info on how to use the spreadsheet as I don't know how use them but would like to.
It looks good though.
woodie
Hi woodie

Read the Notes worksheet, that should give you a start.

ianh said:
Hi woodie

Read the Notes worksheet, that should give you a start.
Great spready Ian, i used it for the first time the other day. A question for you. Am i able to add extracts if they aren't on the list already? Is it as simple as inserting a row in the appropriate tab and populating the data?

Thanks for that I did not see that. Maybe I should use my glasses .

I can not get the work something to do with the macros.

Killer Brew said:
Great spready Ian, i used it for the first time the other day. A question for you. Am i able to add extracts if they aren't on the list already? Is it as simple as inserting a row in the appropriate tab and populating the data?
Hi KB

Yes as you said. You can add what ingredients you want.

Probably simple, but I can't find the answer... if adding new grains to the sheet, how do you get the potential?

G'day all. Thanks for this spreadsheet Ian, it's great. Just got an email back from Mangrove Jacks customer service, if anyone is interested in the numbers for their cans. Thought it might be useful to post here. Cheers.

Description EBC EBU
MJ AUS Classic Bitter 1.7kg 6 20
MJ AUS Classic Blonde Dry 1.7kg 6 10
MJ AUS Classic Gold Lager 1.7kg 6 16
MJ INT Bavarian Wheat 1.7kg 5 16
MJ INT Belgian Ale 1.7kg 12 27
MJ INT Czech Pilsener 1.7kg 13 37
MJ INT Dutch Lager 1.7kg 6 20
MJ INT Irish Stout 1.7kg 100 30
MJ INT Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg 6 10
MJ INT Munich Lager 1.7kg 13 17
MJ INT Tyneside Brown Ale 1.7kg 50 16

Hi ,first off awesome tool for kits, thank you
My question is ,I was thinking of doing a Mexican cervesa with extra light dry malt extract , I couldn't find anything that would work with it , the Australian light lager ,was too light and the blonde ale was to dark .

given I don't know how to use a lot of the features yet .

thank's guy's

I'm going to start brewing a coopers Canadian blonde kit with 1kg of dry malt extract. The spreadsheet tells me to only put in some of that extract into the boil for gravity perposis. If I'm just adding dry malt extract and a can of Canadian, do I have to boil? If so for how long?

Any help would be much appreciated

Back