Kingys herms Build Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingy

Reaction score
Maryland, Newcastle,New South Wales, Australia, Ea
due to having 2 kids in the last 2 years I need to cut my brew day times down so looking for an electric semi automated herms system where I don't need to sit next to it the whole time.

Im on the quest to build a herms. I already have a 50 litre and an 80litre aluminium pot which I use for single and double batches and my plans are to build a heat exchanger which can service either one as required.

Ive had 3 vessel setups in the past but lately ive been doing biab (gas powered) and no chilling as it suits me better, But now i want more control over my mash temps instead of starting the burner and stirring the mash on and off over the course of the mash.

My plan is to get the single batch 50litre pot sorted first with the hx and just use the bigger 80litre when doing doubles.

still chasing some gear but
My heat exchanger is going to be something along these lines.
Fire extinguisher with top cut off.(hoping there made of stainless and weldable otherwise ill have to change plans,)
Weld a 5star 2400watt element up through the bottom of the exinguisher then coil 1/2 inch copper from top to bottom then back up so the inlet and outlet are at upper sides of the unit. (element up through in middle of coil)

march pump between the pot and extinguisher. The pot will just be using a grain bag that can be removed after the mash and then boil in the pot.

50litre and 80litre pot will also have a single weldess type 5star element in each to help with getting to mash in temps up quicker.

silicon hoses and t's and temp controller etc.

basically starting this thread for feedback and help along the way,cheers.

I feel your pain, I have 3 kids under 4 at present

My brew day is only about 4 hours with a 1v

I was also looking for a herms I could build, found the herms coil from online brewing supplies great value

Just need the time to build It!

Kingy,
I automated my brewery (braumeister style) and it allowed me to brew more often whilst still being able to look after the kids, I can't recommend it enough!
I set mine up to pre heat after a time delay so it can be ready for mash in in the morning and it will hold mash out temp whilst recirculating until I get to it to remove the malt and start the boil.
It also has an embedded web page to tell me what mash step and step time it is up to (brewery is in the shed).
Cheers

Meant to edit, not quote myself. Stupid phone.

I got a 4v HERMS and yeah you can walk away from it and do other stuff, but I always keep an eye on it. What if the grain bed gets stuck, a hose falls off. Murphys law and all that.

If your main goal is a quick brewday, knocking out a lot of finished beer, you really can't go past BIAB with a single infusion mash. Also you can walk away from a passive, static mash as well with no consequence. Chuck a sleeping bag or 3 over the vessel, come back in 60-90 minutes.

So if you want HERMS, go HERMS, but it's not, under ANY circumstances going to be as quick or easy as BIAB.

Yea I'm more after better control over mash temps. And being able to wake up and turn it on. Go away,come back mash in, set temps then dissapear, play with kids whatever and just stick my head in check the temp. Without raising bag turning burner on and heating mash blah blah.

To many questions, I keep changing my mind lol
Would a 2400 watt in an in a fire extinguisher be enough for a double batch or should I squeeze 2x2400 in there. ( I have 16amp in shed)
I could eliminate the element from the boiler/mash tun and just recirculate through the hx to get it up to strike temp.??? If that makes sence.

Kingy said:
My heat exchanger is going to be something along these lines.
Fire extinguisher with top cut off.(hoping there made of stainless and weldable otherwise ill have to change plans,)
Weld a 5star 2400watt element up through the bottom of the exinguisher then coil 1/2 inch copper from top to bottom then back up so the inlet and outlet are at upper sides of the unit. (element up through in middle of coil)

march pump between the pot and extinguisher. The pot will just be using a grain bag that can be removed after the mash and then boil in the pot.

50litre and 80litre pot will also have a single weldess type 5star element in each to help with getting to mash in temps up quicker.
Fire extinguishers will either be aluminium or some form of steel. It doesn't matter what your heat exchanger body is made out of because it doesn't come in contact with the wort. Any reason you're going for an extinguisher? You could still use one but, though it'll be thick I'd imagine and a fair bit if work to fit things to.

I'd hold off the extra element to start with. You'll need it when you expand to the additional pot anyway so get one, but I reckon it adds unnecessary complexity. Extra cable, more to clean, an extra hole etc. Try it without to start with (I heat my system through the HERMS) and if the time's that critical, add it.

For reference I have 3 mad kids under 5 and I manage to get brews out. The kids aren't the issue, it's the wife.
And bloody well post some pics when it starts coming together.

The only reason I'm going for an extinguisher is I have one sitting here that was free of charge and I have an element sitting here that can be welded into the bottum (that's if the extinguisher is stainless) (won't know until I cut it open I suppose) and the element is 250- 300mm(it's down the shed) straight length and I plan on coiling from the top inlet down around the element and back up around the first coil to the outlet. Plus having the red on the extinguisher will add some caracter to my setup lol

my 5 star elements turned up last week, just gotta wire em up and get one welded up through the bottom of hex.
still wondering weather to have the copper coil coming in through the bottom left side and coiling around the element and out the top right side.
or coming in the top left side and coiling around and out the bottom right side. Or in the top, coiling around to the bottom then coiling around back to the top and out the right side. Big decisions.
Got a new 3piece Stainless ballvalve coming with 90degree compression fitting to fit my T screen bazooka to have at at the edge of the pot.

This build could take a while, lots of planning and thinking and $$ involved.

Already thinking of getting another 2 80itre pots and having a 3x80litre herms full system. And Just use my small 50lt pot for single biab batches through the hex.

Measured my fire extinguisher it holds 9 litres. There is going to be a fair bit of water covering the element I'm wondering if I should cut it down a touch or just leave it and jam more copper in there ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406339235.920672.jpg

Also do you guys buy the coiled copper and recoil it to suit or buy a straight length and cool that?

Bunnings had 3 meter and 18metre coils or I'm pretty sure Reece or tradelink have 6metre straight lengths.
Wonder how much I'll need.

6m would be good, when I rebuild mine (if) I'll be going for longer, I currently have 3m and it works fine, was better when I was single batch but now Im doing tipple its slowed the ramp times a little, more wort in the line would help that (and less volume in the HERMS)

Careful of the pump you have though, if your pump has a 3m head and you try to do 6m it may struggle..

Got a 6metre length of copper today. I figured if i can get all that in there. Have the fittings at the top and the water level just below that. The water volume will only be 7.5-8litres.
Going to cut an old wetsuit leg off to slide over the extinguisher.
Just gotta find someone to weld this shiny bit of gear on. Need some more $$ for some more fittings to. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406436689.859426.jpg

Not herms related but I made an enclosure for my mill so I can slide a bucket in there. To make it more sturdy. Since my local brew shop has gone downhill I've had to dust off my mill , order grain from elsewhere and crack my own again. It's worked out better actually. Just need to get my grain stocks up again.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406437556.462953.jpg

Few more fittings installed, just need a few for the hex now and she'll be ready to run a double batch biab through the hex to control temps while I save up for some stainless pots.
I'm wanting to use this old entertainment unit for my brew stand untill I can afford something else. Is there something I can put down like checker plate or sheet metal that's fire proof so I don't burn the timber while the burner is going?

Back