Kim Chi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep it cool, gents.

Traditionally, Kimchi was buried in earthenware pots in the ground & allowed to slow-ferment. Speeding it up just increases the possibility of nasties (despite the phenomenally low PH).

I live in Tassie so I guess it stays cool enough, just finished my first batch and I survived, had a taste of the new batch yesterday, still vertical, so.....so far so good LOL Top Stuff anyway, even planted Wombok, Daikon and Spring Onions in my vegie patch!!

I did a decent sized batch of this a few weeks ago - quasi-blended a couple of different recipes (used this one as the main one). Used 2 large wombok cabbages, chopped the leaves into inch long chunks rather than whole, used a tad less garlic and also dried shrimp paste rather than preserved shrimp. Added a little freshly extracted whey to ensure that it had enough lacto bacteria to get a good ferment going (just put some fresh yogurt in a microfibre cloth & used the liquid that came through). Fermented it in an ~4L plastic olive tub modded with an airlock on the top at ~18c for 6 days.

Developed enough of a sour tang to yank it........VERY full on flavour (you're not eating this without rice or some meat to go with it) - my wife is the house's Kimchi expert and she says it is superior to the commercial stuff she's tasted (which she said were quite bland).

Thankfully it lasts in the fridge for up to a year - which is a good thing as you can't eat much at once.....can't say I'd be rushing to make it again - have a good book on fermented foods and a number of the other lacto-fermented veges sound good though.

Made my first batch yesterday. Could not get daikon so used turnip as per the book fermenting foods... Taste today and it is going well, I am impressed.

If you have a date that night, don't forget the breath mints.

indica86 said:
Made my first batch yesterday. Could not get daikon so used turnip as per the book fermenting foods... Taste today and it is going well, I am impressed.
It certainly is good stuff! I make it (semi) regularly & just keep it in the fridge in an airtight container. Last for ages.

When I'm due to make a fresh batch (like now...), I just use-up the liquid to start the next batch & the solids go into soup with some Miso paste, tofu, fish cake, strips of chook, noodles etc...etc... whatever is laying around. Guaranteed to open up the sluices the next day, but geez it's good!

Back