Kilning Pale Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
Quick question- done a lot of searching and reading but haven't found an answer.

I've malted my own grain and dried it, now i'm ready to kiln. Just want to know, how hot and how long for pale base malt?

i was thinking maybe 2hrs at about 100 degrees celcius. Anyone have ideas?

Cheers

Just flicked through brewing science and practice, it says a common start is to push 50c air through the grain bed until the humidity of the air leaving the grain drops off. And then it's progressively increased up to 80-100 to cure the malt.

"While enzyme destruction occurs at these elevated temperatures some enzymes survive provided that the malt has first been dried at low temperatures to a low moisture content."

Probably not much help for doing it at home in the oven or w/e.

Thanks Felten. Yep, i've dried it at lower temps- reduced the moisture and now am ready to up the temp (as i understand it, it doesnt need to be kilned straight after its dried). So yeah, looks like 80-100 is the way to go. Thanks mate.

Most electric ovens have a 50 degree setting (or at least mine does). A quick way of evaluating humidity would be to leave the oven door cracked and a dish (pyrex would work perfectly) full of iced water over it. Once the condensation disappears you can assume the air has dried out. Getting air to flow through your grain might be harder, roasting tray and perforated baking paper maybe...
Back to my Hopwired I think.

On other forums i hang out on, home malts dry and kiln their malt at the same time by repuposing clothes driers.

I think the idea is to take the filter out and just use flyscreen there.

Others have built dedicated baskets that are slow rolled and use a fan heater to dry.

Just drying malt at the correct temp should be enough for a base malt? So long as the moisture content is right?

Latest posts

Back