Kilkenny Brew Hydrometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilkenny1

Reaction score
hello everyone just took a reading of my batch of kilkenny and its reading 1.014 is this ready for bottling and as its a stout what kinda sugar is the best for bottling thanks :beer: :beerbang:
i should of said its frementing for a week now and what does the hydrometer reading be when the beer has finished,there is no activity on my brew now

Keep using that hydrometer. When you have the same reading over three days, your beer is ready to bottle.

Keep reading the older threads, there is a wealth of information there, including the answer to your question about is this beer ready to bottle. By reading the older threads, you will get inspiration for further brews and ways of improving you brewing.

Just use plain table suger, that is fine for bottling. At some stage, you may like to experiment with brown sugar, dark dried malt extract, light dried malt extract or raw sugar. All are fine in a dark ale.

ok took another reading just now and its reading 1.014 same as last night,can i bottle it now or leave it for another day

If you urgently need the fermenter for another brew, then yes, you can bottle.

The beer will improve if you can leave it in the fermenter for another few days. Many of the local brewers that turn outtop brews similar to what you are brewing, leave their beers in primary for 14 days, make sure it is stable in sg and then bottle.

Leaving it for a few extra days allows the yeast to continue to work and for the brew to clear up a bit more. The end result is a smoother flavoured beer with less sediment in he bottom of the bottle.

your best bet is still to rack to secondary, and let it rest another week. From what I've read you can have some undesirable side-effects when leaving your brew on the primary's trub, though I am not sure if it would be of consequence.

Back