Kichdi beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Harbour-Bridge

Reaction score
I'm an all grain brewer and after each brew day I have a little wort left in the kettle with a bit of hop debris and break which I filter and freeze to use later for culturing yeast, I recently counted 36 bottles of various brews in my freezer and thought I ought to tidy it up.

I boiled 18 of the darkest beers for 10 minutes, whirlpooled with 15g of EKG for 10 minutes and chilled.

Start of boil, 22.75 l @ 1.045 and average IBU 32.3.
End of boil, 22.3 l @ 1.046

I manged to get 22 L into the fermenter and it's in the fridge until it cools down to 20 when it will receive a 1 l starter of wyeast 1099, whitbread ale yeast.

I started adding chocolate malt to English bitter after I accidentally added a litre of stout wort once upon a time. I could work out the malt bill and hopping by looking through my brewing records and taking the right amounts of hops and malt from each one, 9 of the bottles I used were English bitter, 4 were mild, 3 were stout and there was one each of alt and Belgian double so it is possible, I'll taste it before I put any more effort into it. I also have a similar amount of pale ale, lagers and wheat beer which will go into the next version

OK it's done, kegged carbonated and in a glass.

Kichdi.jpg

Finished at 1.013 so I got nearly 72% apparent attenuation and around 4.2 % ABV

It tastes like what it is, jumbled, a bit like a thin stout or a bitter mild is how I perceive it. It's certainly not something I would try and replicate although because of it's lack of attention it is a beer I am happy to chug.

Frankenbeer, not quite the same but i do a parti-gyle after every brew and end up with 20ltrs of wort with an SG of around 1.018.
I add bittering hops and dry hop to get the flavour i want, my fav so far was from a rice lager that i added a coopers BE2 plus 1kg of sugar and dry hopped with saaz. Was a really light mid strength summer quaffer.

Frankenbeer, not quite the same but i do a parti-gyle after every brew and end up with 20ltrs of wort with an SG of around 1.018.
I add bittering hops and dry hop to get the flavour i want, my fav so far was from a rice lager that i added a coopers BE2 plus 1kg of sugar and dry hopped with saaz. Was a really light mid strength summer quaffer.

Now that's a cunning plan although I don't think I'd get anything like 1.018, Usually my final runnings are around 1.002 to 1.006, I'd need to boil 60 L down to 20 to get 1.018, I think another mash would be cheaper than the gas.

Back