Kettle volume etching

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that article and followed the instructions and it worked quite well. I've done it on three pots - two stainless and one aluminium. The only thing I can add is that it did take quite a few passes with the cotton bud to etch it deep enough. Oh, and I used a stencil instead of tape which I think would make it a lot easier to make nice clean lines and numbers.

Happy brewing.

I've done that on my kettle and worked really well. As above, use a stencil. Plenty easy.

There's a whole thread on here about that with a couple different methods, stencil sources, etc. On my phone so I can't find it at the moment.

Mardoo said:
There's a whole thread on here about that with a couple different methods, stencil sources, etc. On my phone so I can't find it at the moment.
Is this the one?

Intended on doing this to my electric Big W stockpot for most of this year, finally managed to squeeze it in over Xmas:

Fairly happy with the results, though I rushed it a little bit and one of my stickers shifted without me noticing.

It'll do the job anyway!

After getting everything I needed to do this finally gave it a crack. Isn't a perfect result but I'm happy enough with it.

1451520800498.jpg

Hi all so I gave this a try on my kettle lid yesterday. Not sure if I did something wrong but didn't do anything. First patch I tried left a little colour change. Next patch I tried nothing at all. Is my solution not strong enough or any ideas. I used a 9 volt battery and Coles brand vinegar. Cheers

I tried with a 9v battery which did work but wasn't great. I also used no name brand white vinegar and salt for the solution. I ended up using a 12v power converter for my etching which worked a hell of a lot better.
The photo is the of the adapter I used which was heaps better.

1452461115143.jpg

crd0902 said:
Hi all so I gave this a try on my kettle lid yesterday. Not sure if I did something wrong but didn't do anything. First patch I tried left a little colour change. Next patch I tried nothing at all. Is my solution not strong enough or any ideas. I used a 9 volt battery and Coles brand vinegar. Cheers
Are you sure you had the polarity of the battery correct? Did you have any salt mixed with your vinegar?

Positive to kettle yep and yep had plenty salt mixed in. Gonna have to try a power supply I reckon. Maybe better vinegar as was only cheap stuff

Had a crack at this tonight, didn't have number stencils but I know what lines are what. Big W pot lookin' good with weldless spigot and inner mash basket for the little recirculating recipe testing rig.

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

You learn something everyday! Cheers for the link, would never have thought of that! I'm tired of measuring out water in a Jug for my urn!

Jay

This well worth the effort, screwed up so had to block out 20 -25 litres then got all excited with the marks over 25 and blocked that out too.
Saves stencilling numbers in later.

No more measuring into the HLT
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1461325619.211724.jpg

Edited for fat fingers and autocorrect

Mr B said:
Any etchers - Does it scrub off with a scourer or steel wool?
Hi Mr B, it erodes the finished surface of the stainless. You are going too hard on the cleaning if that happens mate......did mine 8-12 months ago and as good as the day I did it. It has made a huge difference to my brewing, no sticks in the hot liquor, which are never accurate.

For what it's worth. I suggest anybody who is thinking of doing this uses a battery charger if you have access to one. Makes it fast and easy.

Cheers, Anthony

Back