Kettle Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I have had a look through some of the archives here and on other sites and have found loads of good information relating to how to fit kettle taps but not a lot on what the taps should or should not be made of.

I was at bunnings today and they have a fair choice of taps, I don't know what they are made of but one was a ball joint lockable type tap which I liked the look of, it was not cheap but it looked the part, it had a standard fitting on the "keg" side and a threaded end on the tap side which would fit a standard hose thread or compression type nut. Should I go ahead and buy it or is there a pre requisite regarding taps and what they are made of?
Sorry for being a wewl but you know how it goes.

i go for SS Ball Lock Taps - go for 1/2 inch BSP or 3/4 inch BSP

will probably need a male to male niplle as well.

briz,
s/s is the best way to go, but its expensive. If you cant go the s/s, the nickel plated brass ball valves that bunnings sell are fine.
I have a 1/2" ball valve fitted with a short piece of 1/2" brass nipple and a fibre washer and locknut( all of which i purchased from bunnings) fitted to my hlt and it does the job just fine.

vlbaby.

These be the Bunnings jobbies. :)

Cheap enough. Mine are about 5 years old now and still seem fine. That said, you can pick up a similar item from most hardware/plumbing supply stores. I'd say that most of them are capable enough. S/S would be a nice option. Price put me off though.

Warren -

ICAM0018.jpg

I have got the bunnings ballvalves but have since found somewhere cheaper. I think they are about 13 bucks for the 1/2' ones at bunnings. If you are lucky enought to have a bias boating warehouse nearby they have the same ones for about 8. They also sell the 2 piece stainless ones for about $27. They may be an option for a future upgrade.

Just a question warren- not that it matters but aren't the yellow handled the gas rated ones?

Cheers

Borret

Yep,

You're right Borrett. They're gas jobs. Rated to 1000 kPa IIRC.

Warren -

I have access to a large range of these ball type taps at work, they are used for air and water applications on a range of machines, do you think I could use them? They are defo not SS but I do not know what they are made of. They look similar to the one that Warren has posted a picture of.
Basically what I am trying to ask is what metal would a tap have to be made of for it to be used in homebrewing?

Back