Kettle Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been doing BIAB's with my 20ltr BigW pot for a little while and now but not keen on syphoning so I wish to put a tap on it. Now I know I have read articles in AHB about this subject in snippetts here and there but on searching for them I can't seem to find the right ones.... Could, and would, someone please tell me what equip I need to do so? I know I need 1/2" threaded pipe so the hole would need to be a tad larger than that, and I need and a bulkhead nuts and washers sort of thing..... Bugger it I dunno what I need!.......... H E L P! Can some one please put me on the right track with some good advice on what to do, or point me to a linky that covers it??
Thanks in advance guys.

They are called weldless fittings and if you go into grain and grape and have a yarn they will show you what you need and you can get it all from them.

have a look on My Website, under
Homebrew -> hot to -> Fitting a tap

Should give you a good idea.

QldKev

Drill.
Conical step bit
File
All thread
Thread tape
silicon washers x 2 (buy a silicon baking dish and simply trace the right size washer on there and cut with a knife)
Locknuts x 2 OR washers x 2 AND nuts x 2 (locknuts are easier)
Ball valve or other tap.

Drill Hole. Measure where you want it first and get it right - not too high, not too low. Take into account the thickness of the base if you measure from the outside.

File burrs

Put some thread tape on the all thread about where it will sit in the hole. Wind around in the opposite direction you will be screwing the thread in (so anticlockwise) so screwing in doesn't unwind it. Same principle whenever you put thread tape on for later fittings.

Screw in all thread - go gently - if it's too tight, rout it out. Be patient and persistent so you don't make the hole too big or strip the thread on the all thread.

Thread tape on exposed areas near the hole (right up against it).

Silicon washer on each side.

Locknut on each side. Tighten up against wall of pot.

Thread tape on external end.

Screw on tap

Check for leaks with water. If there are leaks you can try adding more thread tape or as a last resort, you can silicon around the outside.

OR

Just read Kev's website.

They are called weldless fittings and if you go into grain and grape and have a yarn they will show you what you need and you can get it all from them.

Thanks for that but the only Problem there is I live about 180 kms away from grain and grape in Yarraville and don't propose to venture down that way in the near future ... I will prob order most bits from there though to be delivered....cheers

Thanks fellas that is just what I want to know, I'll get the hole drilled for me by a local engineer and will then sort the rest out from there myself.
Cheers

as the pot wall was so thin i used a couple of bits of brass bushing from bunnings and thread tape on my 20L pot

i put one of these inside the pot with a oring /washer
brass-15mm-thread-hex-bushing-reducer-pipe-connector-175642n.jpg

screwed this in from the outside with some thread tape (mine had a bit more shoulder to form a seal area with)
2010622144508.jpg

worked a treat and cost about $5, but i did not worry about a pickup inside the pot or anything

Hi guys, I have been doing BIAB's with my 20ltr BigW pot for a little while and now but not keen on syphoning so I wish to put a tap on it. Now I know I have read articles in AHB about this subject in snippetts here and there but on searching for them I can't seem to find the right ones.... Could, and would, someone please tell me what equip I need to do so? I know I need 1/2" threaded pipe so the hole would need to be a tad larger than that, and I need and a bulkhead nuts and washers sort of thing..... Bugger it I dunno what I need!.......... H E L P! Can some one please put me on the right track with some good advice on what to do, or point me to a linky that covers it??
Thanks in advance guys.

Here's a pic of one weldless bulkhead configuration that might might help you (and your local fitter) visulise what is generally required. You can change the female threaded coupling on the inside to a nut - depends on what you want to do (pic from www.northernbrewer.com website).

Kettle_Bulkhead.jpg

And here's what someone on a US forum did for $3 - a cheap but apparently effective alternative...

Kettle_Bulkhead_2.jpg

(see http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/3-weldless...ulkhead-166778/ )

Now I haven't got one of these, but after hunting around on the web I think these would be the bees knees. US$25 (+ US$14.95 shipping from the US and you can ship two for this shipping charge). A well thought out stainless design that is very solid so resists flexing on thin-walled pots. This bloke also sells some other good gear.

Kettle_Bulkhead_3.jpg

(see http://www.brewershardware.com/cart.php )

Silicon washer on each side.
I don't know why people do this. The only reason this could be of use is if the internal one fails but you then wouldn't know about it and would have a bacteria heaven where the wort is trapped in along the thread.

Seal it properly from the inside and there is no need.

Latest posts

Back