Kettle Size For Single Batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
I just finished cutting the top off the keg i got off ebay a couple weeks ago. I just measure the capacity of it by fillig it with a known qty of water, and to just below the rim, it is 45l.

I have measured, and my 3000w element will fit in there nicely, and the lid off a 20l bigW stockpot fits perfectly! - Incidently, can you buy those separetely?

Is 45l likely to be large enough for a single batch?

At the top and bottom, it is basicaly the width of the 20l pot, and bulges out in the middle, so it should be good for boil off, but i was wondering if I would be better off turning this into a hlt instead....

Thoughts?

photo.JPG

I just finished cutting the top off the keg i got off ebay a couple weeks ago. I just measure the capacity of it by fillig it with a known qty of water, and to just below the rim, it is 45l.

I have measured, and my 3000w element will fit in there nicely, and the lid off a 20l bigW stockpot fits perfectly! - Incidently, can you buy those separetely?

Is 45l likely to be large enough for a single batch?

At the top and bottom, it is basicaly the width of the 20l pot, and bulges out in the middle, so it should be good for boil off, but i was wondering if I would be better off turning this into a hlt instead....

Thoughts?

45lt should be ample. When I was boiling in my keggle, for 25lt batches, my starting boil volume was 34lt. I lost around 8lt to boil off but boiled pretty hard.

45 liters is big enough, but be careful when you get to the boil and things get volatile. I'm always amazed by how much volume is filled by foam when things get underway.

Back