Kettle Gauge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Just some more photo's as my setup progresses (and I wait for my thermometers to arrive).
I want to be able to acurately measure the volume of the preboil and postboil volumes but am not a fan of the external sight glass on the kettle with the whole not boiling what's in it problem and cleaning. :ph34r:
So I made an internal guage that is also easily (thumbscrew) removable to allow better cleaning. It's stainless with scale done with number punches and I did 1 litre increments with figures at 2 litre intervals (right) and 5 litre (left) just because I could. :rolleyes: Although it may be harder than a sight glass to read during the boil due to steam etc, it is only pre and post boil volumes we are concerned about so who cares.

Heres the photo's for your viewing pleasure with and without chiller in place ('cause the chiller shows how shiny it is :p )

kettle_gauge_and_chiller.jpgkettlegauge.jpg

Cheers

Borret

jeez mate your an ideas man keep up the good work

Sorry that is too professional looking.
I think you'll have to move onto a pro equip web forum :lol:

That looks awesome Borrett.

Beers,
Doc

Looks great. I think the gauge could be hard to read during the boil. As you say not a big problem initially. But evaporation rates change with hunidity, wind, gravity of the boil etc. In my setup it makes quite a difference. So I do a 20 or 30 min boil before adding any hops, and measure volume during that time, and make sure post boil volume is going to be right before adding the hops. So the advantage of a "stick" is you can shove it in and pull it out and read the wet mark during the boil, and adjust the boil length accordingly. But I'm sure you will work it out.

Guest Lurker said:
Looks great. I think the gauge could be hard to read during the boil. As you say not a big problem initially. But evaporation rates change with hunidity, wind, gravity of the boil etc. In my setup it makes quite a difference. So I do a 20 or 30 min boil before adding any hops, and measure volume during that time, and make sure post boil volume is going to be right before adding the hops. So the advantage of a "stick" is you can shove it in and pull it out and read the wet mark during the boil, and adjust the boil length accordingly. But I'm sure you will work it out.
[post="71202"][/post]​

GL,

Good point and as I have not used it yet I am yet to find that out. Perhaps a combination may be required as I don't think I would trust any sanitiser on a "stick" to measure post boil volumes. However what's in the boil stays as sanitised as the wort it is in.
I would assume you drop the boil when you dunk your stick for a bit of accuracy anyway so visibilty should improve when doing that.
All will be revealed in time I surpose

Cheers

Borret :blink:

Here is a piccy of my setup so far. Its taken me about 9 mths of ag to get here.
There arent any thermometers on it yet. I just stick my thumb in to gauge the temp.
It makes great ag beers.

johnno

Setup.JPG

johnno, i take it your cfc is from goliath ? do u use the screw on compression fitting to connect to the boiler, or u have quick disconnects ?

cheers

Hi redbeard,
Yes my chilller is from Goliath. I have had it for a while now. Probably about 3 months.
I have not used it yet. I am very challenged when it comes to putting together stuff like this.
I have been lucky and I Have been lent an immersion chiller by Gout ( Thanks Gout :super: ) so I have been quite slack in getting all the bits and pieces to get it going properly.
I finally got all the bits last Thursaday but did not connect it all. Thats what I hope to do this weekend.
Me, being a total "tool" when it comes to stuff like this thought I was going to purchase a cfc and be able to use it straight off :lol: .
I purchased some hose and nut and tails and some connector thingys.
I have access to 2 digi cams and none are available right now.
I will post some pics as soon as I get one back.
Here is a pic of NRB's, who has also helped me immensley, which is from Goliath as well.
The nut and tail and the hose connected to kettle tap, cfc.
Basically I got the same fittings but different looking.
PS Thanks to sosman as well.

chiller.JPG

Guest Lurker said:
So the advantage of a "stick" is you can shove it in and pull it out and read the wet mark during the boil, and adjust the boil length accordingly.

Borret,
A job well done. It's obvious you haven't got the shakes yet as all those stamped numbers are nice & square. :p
I'll be making up a couple of "sticks" any day now (kettle & HLT) & plan to pop-rivet a hook on the back to hang said "sticks" on the rims of the above. Probably rattle a bit during the boil but who cares? :rolleyes: At least the kettle one will be sterilised. My 70 litre pot is 450mm wide x 450mm deep so my 1 litre markings may be too close together & I'll have to go to 2 litres. :( I'll soon find out.

:beer:

Excellent work as usual there Borret. When do you start retailing? ;)

Top Darts! :beerbang:

Shawn.

Gough said:
Excellent work as usual there Borret. When do you start retailing? ;)

Top Darts! :beerbang:

Shawn.
[post="71243"][/post]​
Yeah top effort alright Shawm.
But there is a more important part than selling.
Its called brewing. When are you actually going to get that equipment dirty Borrett?

johnno

johnno said:
Its called brewing. When are you actually going to get that equipment dirty Borrett?

johnno
[post="71245"][/post]​

When you can cook snags and sparge your mash at the same time Johnno. :p :lol:

Warren -

johnno
[post="71245"][/post]​

Don't worry about it Johnno, my gear resembles your setup a lot more than the artworks put together by Borret :lol: I set mine up on tables at the moment, but it is near the BBQ in case of emergency :lol: So long as it makes decent beer...

We never did really start that 'tool challenged brewers club' did we Johnno? :D I'll have to get onto Wee Stu...

Shawn.

warrenlw63 said:
johnno said:

johnno
[post="71245"][/post]​

When you can cook snags and sparge your mash at the same time Johnno. :lol:

Warren -
[post="71246"][/post]​

Warren, I have mastered the art. I can charbroil to perfection now in between the mash and the batch sparge.
Gough said:

johnno
[post="71245"][/post]​

Don't worry about it Johnno, my gear resembles your setup a lot more than the artworks put together by Borret :lol: I set mine up on tables at the moment, but it is near the BBQ in case of emergency :lol: So long as it makes decent beer...

We never did really start that 'tool challenged brewers club' did we Johnno? :D I'll have to get onto Wee Stu...

Shawn.
[post="71247"][/post]​
Shawn
Yes the tool Challenged club must be started. As soon as Possible.
Where is the Scotsman anyway these days?
Just hate seeing all that nice shiny brewgear of Borretts not being used. Sure yu dont want someone to break it in for you Borrett.

johnno

warrenlw63 said:
johnno said:

johnno
[post="71245"][/post]​

When you can cook snags and sparge your mash at the same time Johnno.

Warren -
[post="71246"][/post]​

Nice call warren :lol:

Johnno

Yep I will brew. It's all in the five year plan :p I was actually looking at it all last night and feeling dissapointed with my efforts. Might give it away and start again. But I don't think anyone would want it so might just try and persevere and try to make a bit more respectable.
Think I might build a kebab outlet in the shed to coincide with teh first brew. What do you think? :unsure:

Shawn
Yes the tool Challenged club must be started. As soon as Possible.
Where is the Scotsman anyway these days?

johnno
[post="71251"][/post]​

Johnno,

I think he stuck his head up a day or so ago, but haven't heard much from him lately. Hope he's OK...

I challenged my 'tool challenged' status a few months ago by progressing from my old extract brewpot as a HLT to a fancy new converted keg with a thermometer :eek: and, wait for it, a thermostat :ph34r: Before I get kicked out of the club though, I got a mate to help me with the welding. The thought of blowing myself, and probably the house up didn't appeal :lol:

Tool challenged brewers of the world unite :beerbang:

Shawn.

Think I might build a kebab outlet in the shed to coincide with teh first brew. What do you think? :unsure:

:lol: :lol:

You guys may be "tool challenged" whereas I'm a "challenged tool" :blink: :lol:

Warren -

Borret said:

[post="71253"][/post]​

Hakan-Jihad-Borretus. :ph34r: :lol:

Will you do a kofte too?

Warren -

Gough said:
Tool challenged brewers of the world unite :beerbang:

Shawn.
[post="71254"][/post]​

C'mon Shawn,

When will you Academics realise that the "shifter is mightier than the pen"?

Mate, if I can create a non-leaking compression fitting (well sorta :blink: ) anybody can.

Now where's that mop? :unsure: :lol:

Warren -

Back