Kettle Contents To Cube.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Silver

Silver
Joined
15/9/10
Messages
210
Reaction score
11
Was wondering if any punters (as part of their standard procedure) dump entire contents of kettle into cube at flameout instead of whirl-pooling,waiting to settle etc. My research of late, and my early days getting into BIAB where everything was left in the pot to cool overnight, has led me to try this today with 28 litres from the urn and only about 100ml waste. I'm expecting a shitload of trub but plan to dump the lot into the fermenter. I have read so much info from all the different sides regarding hot and cold break that I figure it's time to review my brewing procedures with my set up.
Cheers
Silver
 

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Joined
3/11/08
Messages
2,611
Reaction score
40
Was wondering if any punters (as part of their standard procedure) dump entire contents of kettle into cube at flameout instead of whirl-pooling,waiting to settle etc. My research of late, and my early days getting into BIAB where everything was left in the pot to cool overnight, has led me to try this today with 28 litres from the urn and only about 100ml waste. I'm expecting a shitload of trub but plan to dump the lot into the fermenter. I have read so much info from all the different sides regarding hot and cold break that I figure it's time to review my brewing procedures with my set up.
Cheers
Silver
I've never deliberately transferred the entire contents post boil to my cube, but i am aware of some of the kettle trub going into my cube as i try to get the last little morsel of wort out.

I reckon i probably leave behind 1-2lt's of "stuff" in my kettle, most of which is obviously crap. Maybe i lose 500ml of actual wort.

Then as i transfer from cube to fermenter, i throw it all in. Every last little drop i can get out. Cold break, hop material etc....it all goes into the fermenter.

No noticeable negative effects.

Interested in the results you get from taking the hot break too.
 

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Joined
15/12/09
Messages
2,978
Reaction score
310
I've never deliberately transferred the entire contents post boil to my cube, but i am aware of some of the kettle trub going into my cube as i try to get the last little morsel of wort out.

I reckon i probably leave behind 1-2lt's of "stuff" in my kettle, most of which is obviously crap. Maybe i lose 500ml of actual wort.

Then as i transfer from cube to fermenter, i throw it all in. Every last little drop i can get out. Cold break, hop material etc....it all goes into the fermenter.

No noticeable negative effects.

Interested in the results you get from taking the hot break too.
I've thrown all the rubbish in that settles at the bottom of the cube, including lots of hop matter when I've drained as much as I can.

You get a much more bitter final beer with serious hop-oiliness. Leave the trub behind and its not as bitter and doesn't have the same hop-oiliness. Some people like it oily ;)
 

Helles

Well-Known Member
Joined
29/3/11
Messages
696
Reaction score
108
A bit OT
I whirlpool ,cool and tranfer to fermenter
The trub cone left i put 5 lt demijohn rack off the next day
Into 3lt juice bottle squeeze all the air out and freeze
Use it as starter for the next beer.
Boil and make starter as normal
Hadno problems with this
 

Silver

Silver
Joined
15/9/10
Messages
210
Reaction score
11
I use a hop sock for my kettle hop additions and just cubed the rest. Have had excellent results in the past. never had dramas with over bitterness or hop oiliness. I will post results as this reduces bruday by a good 1/2hr for me.
 

Midnight Brew

Well-Known Member
Joined
23/3/09
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
769
This thread has made me start to think I should modify my pickup tube to as close to the wall of the kettle as I can and then keep the left over wort for starters. Thanks gents. At the moment I think I would be losing 5 litres or trub/wort in total. Thats a good 2x 1 Litre starters there!
 

Silver

Silver
Joined
15/9/10
Messages
210
Reaction score
11
Big Nath said:
I've never deliberately transferred the entire contents post boil to my cube, but i am aware of some of the kettle trub going into my cube as i try to get the last little morsel of wort out.

I reckon i probably leave behind 1-2lt's of "stuff" in my kettle, most of which is obviously crap. Maybe i lose 500ml of actual wort.

Then as i transfer from cube to fermenter, i throw it all in. Every last little drop i can get out. Cold break, hop material etc....it all goes into the fermenter.

No noticeable negative effects.

Interested in the results you get from taking the hot break too.
Got to say, I am really impressed with this beer. I kegged/bottled a brew which was done the same way and enjoyed a few from the previous brew which had everything from kettle to cube to FV. If this one is as good as the last then it will remain my standard procedure.
 

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Joined
15/12/09
Messages
2,978
Reaction score
310
Midnight Brew said:
This thread has made me start to think I should modify my pickup tube to as close to the wall of the kettle as I can and then keep the left over wort for starters. Thanks gents. At the moment I think I would be losing 5 litres or trub/wort in total. Thats a good 2x 1 Litre starters there!
Just dump *all* the kettle dregs (trub, break, and all) into a 5L demijohn, throw that in your fridge.

The next day decant the clear liquid into a jug, pour into a ziplock bag... and freeze :)

I find I get about 30-50% recovery.

Just remember to boil it up when you make you starter
 

CosmicBertie

Well-Known Member
Joined
7/3/11
Messages
317
Reaction score
41
Silver said:
Was wondering if any punters (as part of their standard procedure) dump entire contents of kettle into cube at flameout instead of whirl-pooling,waiting to settle etc. My research of late, and my early days getting into BIAB where everything was left in the pot to cool overnight, has led me to try this today with 28 litres from the urn and only about 100ml waste. I'm expecting a shitload of trub but plan to dump the lot into the fermenter. I have read so much info from all the different sides regarding hot and cold break that I figure it's time to review my brewing procedures with my set up.
Cheers
Silver
Once my brew has chilled, I transfer everything into the fermentor. I use a hop-sock though, so no overly bitter brews, but IMO the hot and cold break dont really affect the beer. It all settles to the bottom and compacts down.
 

mikec

Well-Known Member
Joined
29/1/12
Messages
781
Reaction score
127
I was always of the understanding that the hot break is bad, cold break not so much.
Perhaps the experts / professionals on here can elaborate on the reasons and the facts.
 

Crusty

Well-Known Member
Joined
29/6/08
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
607
Location
Gulmarrad, NSW
mikec said:
I was always of the understanding that the hot break is bad, cold break not so much.
Perhaps the experts / professionals on here can elaborate on the reasons and the facts.
I'm far from an expert & don't have the scientific facts to prove it but I no chill & get quite a bit of hot / cold break into my cube which all ends up in the fermenter. There was a bit of talk in the US about some All Grain Brewers that ran some trials of break material vs no break into the fermenter with some blind taste tests. It seems the break beers were better taste wise than the no break ones. My beers certainly haven't suffered from break material into my fermenter.
 

mikec

Well-Known Member
Joined
29/1/12
Messages
781
Reaction score
127
Crusty said:
I'm far from an expert & don't have the scientific facts to prove it but I no chill & get quite a bit of hot / cold break into my cube which all ends up in the fermenter. There was a bit of talk in the US about some All Grain Brewers that ran some trials of break material vs no break into the fermenter with some blind taste tests. It seems the break beers were better taste wise than the no break ones. My beers certainly haven't suffered from break material into my fermenter.
I remember those trials too, and I'm pretty sure folk on here have done similar comparisons. But I'm pretty sure they were talking about cold break, not hot break.
With no chilling you still leave most of the hot break in the kettle.
 

Markbeer

Well-Known Member
Joined
21/4/11
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
338
Location
Wollongong
In addition some ferment in their kettles and one brewer won a first in nationals in the states in the light lager category doing this- of course it depends on how clear your wort is going into the kettle. For me in biab this would be very hard.
 

Silver

Silver
Joined
15/9/10
Messages
210
Reaction score
11
mikec said:
I remember those trials too, and I'm pretty sure folk on here have done similar comparisons. But I'm pretty sure they were talking about cold break, not hot break.
With no chilling you still leave most of the hot break in the kettle.
I now empty entire contents of kettle to cube and again entire contents of cube into FV. Last 2 brews done this way have turned out to be crackers. When i think of it, this was exactly the same when i started with BIAB, the lot went in and they were great beers.
 

CosmicBertie

Well-Known Member
Joined
7/3/11
Messages
317
Reaction score
41
Markbeer said:
In addition some ferment in their kettles and one brewer won a first in nationals in the states in the light lager category doing this- of course it depends on how clear your wort is going into the kettle. For me in biab this would be very hard.
Odd. I use BrewBrite, if I whirlpool and leave the wort for 20mins it all completely settles out and the wort is absolutely clear. I still chuck everything in though. No point wasting any lurvely sugary wort.

My beers also come out clear and great tasting.
 

mckenry

Brummagem
Joined
31/8/06
Messages
2,347
Reaction score
669
I just want to point out a couple of differences which *should* be understood.

All the crap in the kettle includes hot break.
All the crap in the cube includes cold break. [unless of course youre dumping entire kettle into cube]

Cold break into the fermenter is OK
Hot break in the fermenter can cause astringency.

** I have no real world experience with trying all kettle into the cube, then into the fermenter, so possibly you might think I have no cred here.
I always left the hot break in the kettle, as per my learnings.

Some posters have said they do it and the beer is fine, even a "first in nations in the states" but I go by the wisdom of the professionals that tell me to leave it out.
 

mckenry

Brummagem
Joined
31/8/06
Messages
2,347
Reaction score
669
Cosmic Bertie said:
Odd. I use BrewBrite, if I whirlpool and leave the wort for 20mins it all completely settles out and the wort is absolutely clear. I still chuck everything in though. No point wasting any lurvely sugary wort.

My beers also come out clear and great tasting.
Dont waste brewbrite then. Its to separate that crap from your lovely clear wort, so you can leave it out.
 

Markbeer

Well-Known Member
Joined
21/4/11
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
338
Location
Wollongong
Agreed. And fermenting in the kettle shouldn't make a difference in this situation if you are throwing hot break hops and all into the fermenter.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mckenry" data-cid="992536" data-time="1358830343"><p>
Dont waste brewbrite then. Its to separate that crap from your lovely clear wort, so you can leave it out.</p></blockquote>
 

Markbeer

Well-Known Member
Joined
21/4/11
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
338
Location
Wollongong
Agreed. And fermenting in the kettle shouldn't make a difference in this situation if you are throwing hot break hops and all into the fermenter.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mckenry" data-cid="992536" data-time="1358830343"><p>
Dont waste brewbrite then. Its to separate that crap from your lovely clear wort, so you can leave it out.</p></blockquote>
 

Silver

Silver
Joined
15/9/10
Messages
210
Reaction score
11
mckenry said:
I just want to point out a couple of differences which *should* be understood.

All the crap in the kettle includes hot break.
All the crap in the cube includes cold break. [unless of course youre dumping entire kettle into cube]

Cold break into the fermenter is OK
Hot break in the fermenter can cause astringency.

** I have no real world experience with trying all kettle into the cube, then into the fermenter, so possibly you might think I have no cred here.
I always left the hot break in the kettle, as per my learnings.

Some posters have said they do it and the beer is fine, even a "first in nations in the states" but I go by the wisdom of the professionals that tell me to leave it out.
Who are the professionals you're referring to?
 

Latest posts

Top