Kerbside Clean Ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not noticed this in searches of the forum on pumps, and I was wondering if it would be possible to adapt a (properly santized) washing machine pump to a brewery ?

cheers

Browndog

(woo hoo! just noticed that now I'm a beer god, does that mean I can brew better beer now?)

...back to the washing machine pump.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
...over to you Aus DB.
[post="90841"][/post]​
Why thank you Vlad (who from now one shall be known as the unelected/unofficial WCB actvities officer)

OK this one was not from a roadside pickup but is a universal magnetic drive washing machine pump
IMG_5193_wort_pump.jpg
It seems to handle boiling wort for as long as it takes to pump 40-45L of wort from the kettle through a CFC to a fermenter. It actually ran continuous for about 20mi one vrew session when my screen clogged in the kettle. You can take the front off it to clean it and at less than $70 new does the trick. The things you need to watch with a washing machine pump are what sort of connecitons does it have, a lot of them have the inlet / lint screen built in. Also they don't tend to have fan cooled motors so are not rated to run continuously like a March pump. But I'm not that worried as the money I have saved can be spent on another 2 pumps at least if it craps itself or some more shiny stainless stuff for the brewery!

Cheers ausdb

Thanks for the reply there Aus DB, that is very interesting and has opened up some new possibilities as I design my AG brewery.

cheers

Browndog

Speaking of washing machines...I have one here, drive motor/gearbox is stuffed, but pump is working perfectly. Anyone is free to come around and salvage the pump before it goes into a rubbish skip

Last week I got me a new beer fridge from the footpath out the front of my place , it wasn't even a official "Clean up" week but this thing is a beauty. Usually fridges off the street are really filthy and generally stuffed but this one is a ripper even the missus said "that one looks pretty good maybe you should grab it" The freezer is on the bottom and chills to -18c. The fridge part easily holds 4 Corny kegs at 3C..... gotta love those clean ups

found plenty on the 'ol council cleanup.. the fridges of course..

3 days ago picked up 6 milk crates full of Grolsch bottles.. all clean, lids and all, the things ppl throw out..

Just to revive an old thread (and gloat a little). I scored a 40l urn with a 3000 watt element and a pressure cleaner (both work great) from the boot of someones car at the tip the other day... oh, and a 9kg cylinder that was out of date (swapped it for a full one on the way home).
Gotta love going to the tip :p
Cheers
Doug

I saw an old fermenter, complete with the airlock still attached to the lid, in a council cleanup a while back.
There's no way I'd go that low, but just imagine the flavours from the previous brews?

Actually I found a Kilkenny drip tray in the last one. Excellent condition (although beer/ciggy smelling).
Took it home, washed it about 10 times, and now it's proudly displayed in the garage, and comes in handy when bottling.
There's one going on ebay for $25. hehehe

Theres nothing a bit (or a lot) of napisan and a good soak can't fix!

Some of my earlier fermentors were collected as roadside throw-outs/ lucky finds.

One had plenty of marks in it, but no deep scratches. Cleaned up OK. It still does occasional duty as a bottling bucket. The others are now storage vessels for grain and other bits.

Have since moved to 30 litre fermentors, instead of the old 23-25 litre units. Much better to have headspace for brewing weizens.

Seth

Cool thread...

Just commenting on the legal issues Ross brought up on this thread's first run.

Ipswich Council's documentation for the hard rubbish cleanup actively encourages people to grab things that are out for pickup. I can't remember the actual wording. I believe there was an interesting case in Victoria or NSW about the council having their own residents charged for "stealing" their hard rubbish. Sorry, I can't remember the outcome... I'll look into it again.

As far as the contractor... I would have thought it was the council's property until the contractor physically removed it...

edit: punctuation

Ipswich Council's documentation for the hard rubbish cleanup actively encourages people to grab things that are out for pickup.

That's a sensible policy. Stage 1 recycling. Means less stuff ends up in landfill. Maybe in more litigous (sp??) districts, people who hurt themselves picking up rubbish sue?

At our last cleanup, about 40% of what I put out was gone before the truck came around. An old 386 PC, broken (cheap old) chairs, buggered personal stereos... Good luck to the new owners :) I once found a dozen 1980's Crown seal CUB bottles in hard rubbosh! Nothing better than that scored :(

Same as for Brisbane with you can grab anything you like during kerbside cleanups. I think that there's a provision that if you hurt yourself, that's tough luck. Gets a bit annoying when there are cars driving up and down the street all hours of the day and night.

Didn't see anything worth collecting from the last clean up tho.

Nice one Doug.

Armadale tip on Hopkinson Rd., Oakford have a tip shop, lots of crap but always a few gems. They have a selection of (presumably) working fridges for around $25, big stainless laundry troughs ideal for the brewery slop out sink.
Just don't come home with more crap than you went with, or she'll kill yer.

Happy days.
just got this as new 50 litre SS Pot with 10mm base. for $25 from work. It was considered too big and was an OHS hazard :p .
DCP_4032.JPG

I've been waiting for a hard rubbish collection in our area for ages...so I decided to check the council's website for times. They don't do them anymore!

You need to make a private booking and leave all the gear in your driveway or backyard (not on the naturestrip). Spoilsports.

Maribyrnong Council - you suck! Plus, your name is hard to spell.

Back