Kerbside Clean Ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
There is a kerbside cleanup going on in my area at the moment, and never before have I eyed peoples junk with such interest. Looking at fridges and wondering how many kegs would fit in them and "hey there's a chest freezer, wonder what's up with it" not to mention old water heaters "hmmm, wonder if that one has a copper boiler in it" It is surprising what this hobby can do to you.

cheers

Browndog

browndog said:
There is a kerbside cleanup going on in my area at the moment, and never before have I eyed peoples junk with such interest. Looking at fridges and wondering how many kegs would fit in them and "hey there's a chest freezer, wonder what's up with it" not to mention old water heaters "hmmm, wonder if that one has a copper boiler in it" It is surprising what this hobby can do to you.

cheers

Browndog
[post="90509"][/post]​

sounds like your wearing your brew goggles.

:)

vlbaby.

lol
i go into those cheapee shops looking at all the sh!t thinking "what can i grind, brew, mash, filter, lager or grow yeast in?"
rarely walk out with anything...

Well, it's a relief that I'm not the only one who goes shopping thinking 'now how can this help my brewing??'. Now everytime I suggest something to add to the shopping list, the question 'is it for your home brew?' isn't asked any more... it's assumed.

Yesterday... I asked for dark brown suger (I have standard brown sugar, but not normal), and the reponse was a mutttering about how it's usually used for baking.

Every now and then I pop into some cheapie store and have a browse... but, like tangent, rarely find something worth it. I look forward to the day when I walk out with something that will be really useful!! :) ahh, if only...

my latest tip from Jazman today, digital thermometers from SmickDith

Nice... how much??

One of my friends, who is really into photography, keeps on shaking his head and saying 'beer nerds...' whenever I talk about this forum. Being a beer nerd is the best type!!

Ahh, the influences of this forum...

i always like to scan the local trash and treasure markets for little brewing gems. I used to con the missus into going too until she realised why i really was going.

vlbaby.

hahah my missus wants me to buy a ute so we can grab more sh!t !
:D

thats where warb gets most of his fridges including the one he gave me

Sort of a little bit off topic, but would an old washing machine mangle be easily converted to become a grain mill, or would you have to replace half of the components to get it to work right?

The reason I ask, is that I may have access to one before it makes it onto the footpath for collection in a cleanup day.

M

I can't speak highly enough of Revolve at the Gungahlin tip. This place is always high on my list of places to visit when I am dragged kicking & screaming to visit my mother-in-law in Canberra. Stailess boilers & urns are not that hard to find.
Cheers
Gerard

Gerard_M said:
I can't speak highly enough of Revolve at the Gungahlin tip. This place is always high on my list of places to visit when I am dragged kicking & screaming to visit my mother-in-law in Canberra. Stailess boilers & urns are not that hard to find.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="90588"][/post]​

Yeah baby, the tips is great! I picked up the keg im using for my HLT there. It already had the lid cut out and everything.

vlbaby.

Picked up four pin-lock kegs from refuse week last year. Not one dent on them. Also picked up a 40 litre urn (worked perfectly)

Everywhere I go I am looking for beery stuff

I love Red Cross and type Vinnie shops

Local trader is also one of my favourites

Batz

Yep,

Probably a good place for 2 litre flagons. :lol: Great starters bottles. Just make sure you give 'em a good dose of Napisan first. :D

Warren -

Darren said:
Picked up four pin-lock kegs from refuse week last year. Not one dent on them. Also picked up a 40 litre urn (worked perfectly)
[post="90597"][/post]​

Carefull who's reading this Darren :ph34r: - Kerbside rubbish is the property of the company that's been awarded the contract - helping yourself is theft ;)
We had a big stink a few years back from a contractor, as my company was buying scrap collected by private individuals from the kerbside piles...

Ross.

Bear in mind if you ask permission of the householder in question first is it theft then? All I do if I want something from the kerbside collection I just knock on the door and ask if it's OK. :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Ross.

Bear in mind if you ask permission of the householder in question first is it theft then? All I do if I want something from the kerbside collection I just knock on the door and ask if it's OK. :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="90610"][/post]​

problem solved :)

Just say to them..... Arrrroooollldd!! :lol: :lol:

He's back.

Warren -

images.jpeg

Darren said:
[post="90597"][/post]​

Thats a good score darren. Who would throw something like that away? fools!

vlbaby

Back