Kent Bitter / Kent Stour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
I was just down at the (re)launch for Grafton bitter, and a patron mentioned that Kent Stout (or Bitter) was a really good drop.

I think it may have come from Newcastle or south.

If anyone remembers this, would be interested to know how it tasted.

Appears to be another of those beers that no longer exists, but the taste lingers on.

I was just down at the (re)launch for Grafton bitter, and a patron mentioned that Kent Stout (or Bitter) was a really good drop.

I think it may have come from Newcastle or south.

If anyone remembers this, would be interested to know how it tasted.

Appears to be another of those beers that no longer exists, but the taste lingers on.
I wonder if he was thinking of Kent Old Brown. It still available and is quite popular in Newcastle from what I've heard.

So how is the Grafton Bitter?

As a mainstream beer, it should be well received. I could not get any hop aroma from it, though could not find any taste descriptions from the brewer, so do not know what taste they were going for.

I am always hearing how good the beer of old used to be - it would be really interesting to know whether it was anything like what the good microbrewerys make today, or if memories become fonder with the passing of time.

Not many places here have the Kent brown anymore. Was alright, bit sweet, but a nice alternative to toohey spew etc. I'll still drink tooheys old if im out and they don't have 150 lashes or fat yak etc.

I mostly drank kent old brown when I first turned 18 as I didn't like the swill. I don't see it at any of the local places I used to drink it at now though.

Similarly with Mark, I just stick to old if there's nothing else on tap.

Always drink Brown (Kent Old) when i find it.

Mostly in small clubs where one of the directors drinks it ;)

Looks like plenty of places down here in the gong with it still on tap.

I was at the frat last night and they had it on tap there so had myself a couple. Not too bad, but yea, just fairly sweet.

It was a rotation between that and old.

Thanks for all the posts, and the bar listing. I don't suppose if anyone knows if this can be purchased in a stubby or longneck?

I have gone to the CUB site to look for it, but no mention. Did find something called an Abbotsford Invalid Stout, that I dont recall seeing anywhere previously.

Thanks for all the posts, and the bar listing. I don't suppose if anyone knows if this can be purchased in a stubby or longneck?

I have gone to the CUB site to look for it, but no mention. Did find something called an Abbotsford Invalid Stout, that I dont recall seeing anywhere previously.
Most 1st Choice Liquor stores here in Sydney sell Kent Old Brown in single stubbies and 6 packs. I don't think it is sold in longnecks.

Back