Quantcast

Kegs

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Hashie

Reaction score
G'day fellas,
Firstly let me apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place, or if it has been discussed elsewhere that I have missed.

I have been brewing for around 11 years without dramas (hangovers excluded) and am about to move into kegging. I have read a fair bit about it, but would be good to get some first hand advice on which method of carbonation is better and why.

I am leaning toward natural conditioning in the keg, as this would give me a beer almost identical as to that which I am drinking from the bottle. But I have noticed that most who post here force carbonate with Co2.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
if you naturally cabonate in the keg - u will need to take an inch or 2 off the liquid dip tube - otherwise with the first six pints u will be sucking up yeast trub.
Also, will need to periodically vent the keg as it naturally carbonates.
U will still need some co2 to push the beer thru - espaecially as the liquid level drops.

Hope this helps you out.

Hashie

Reaction score
I fully intend on having gas to draught the beer, fridge for the kegs etc.

So the only fifference between the 2 methods is some cloudy beer?

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Reaction score
I naturally carbonate my kegs by using dextrose.

Dissolve the require amount of dextrose in water in a saucepan, heat on a stove till boiling to sanitise, cool and add to keg. Rack the beer onto the dextrose solution, purge the headspace a few times, wait a week while it carbonates at the correct fermentation temperature, chill, and serve.

I don't cut anything off my diptubes, but the first few schooners do pour cloudy.

As to which is best, that is personal preference.

Force carbonated is quicker to consumption. I feel the natural carbonation tastes smoother.

If you naturally carbonate, you will need more kegs as the process takes longer than the keg, force carbonate and drink method.

Hashie

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I will be running with 9 kegs, so ageing wont be an issue.

Does it make a great deal of difference between using white sugar or dextrose for the secondary fermentation. I use dextrose to brew, but sugar for the secondary in the bottles/kegs.

Latest posts