kegs, temperature and other quick questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduza

Reaction score
I have taps mounted in a chest freezer, connected to an inkbird temp controller.

If I were to temporarily repurpose this as a fermenting environment, would any ready-to-drink kegs inside it (which would obv need to be removed and sit at room temp for that period) be negatively affected? i.e. a half-drunk keg, disconnected and sitting at room temp for a week or so, then put back in the fridge - is that okay?

In the current climate we are experiencing bduza it won't hurt at all if you put them out in the shed, just to keep the temperature down.

Gotcha, but come summer I will need a plan B, which is pretty much when I will need to ferment in some form of cooler the most.

So a few options for the coming summer. A fridge for fermentation chamber, chest freezers are not good for lifting into/out of, unless you are pushing beer around with a pump or CO2. To use less power keep the ale brewing to warmer months and pils etc. in the colder months. I generally try not to brew in Jan-Feb as it's hard on my fermenting fridge.

The current freezer with taps was given to me.
dispensing.jpg
In a moment of brilliance, I stupidly didn't even notice it is a freezer, and yesterday hooked up a full keg and turned it on.

The keg came full with everything else. The guy said it was ok to drink but that was a while ago so l was expecting it to be buggered. However, I was just trying to learn how it all goes together, do the lines leak, did I reassemble the taps correctly etc.

A really nice smelling, but flat, dark ale came out, so I figured what the hell? I left the gas at 15psi, and turned on what I was still assuming was a fridge.

This morning everything was frozen and I felt like an idiot... but it does give me options. My wife is fine with this hobby but doesn't want that thing in the house unless I build a nice looking timber surround for it. Which is fair enough because it is ugly.

So rather than buying an old fridge for fermentation, I can buy a fridge, move the taps across, and use this freezer for fermentation. Lifting in and out isn't ideal I know, but I can always hook up a pulley if I need it.

Keep it for kegs. Adjust the temp on the ink bird to 4 degrees, fix the ink bird sensor to the side of a keg and cover with something like sponge and then some heavy duty tape. DON'T let the kegs touch the walls in the freezer, that's how they get frozen.

Yeah I've set the inkbird up like that, and it'll just have to stay in the shed for now. I don't have to decide soon anyway.

Latest posts

Back